Huge price increase.

ripstanley

11 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

Do it now because the 15 minute simmer could cost you 100 baht soon enough .... lol...

How true that is! In my country LPG is very expensive. Its a great cheap alternative to electricity here which has become increasingly expensive. Would be 15% of our monthly budget 

^ dairy products - what's country of origin; recently back from a stay in New Zealand where the price of cheese / dairy products seems to be a national indicator of inflation most often quotes in news as impact on familiy expenditure ... huge price increases there, and NZ's Fonterra is the world's largest dairy producer.

Lotus's Go Fresh has NZ's Mainland Tasty Cheddar 250g for 209 baht (NZ$9.50) buy the same item in NZ 187 baht (NZ$8.49). Freight and mark-ups no doubt, but the prices have definitely risen.

Three years ago - Tesco Lotus often had Mainland cheese selling at equal and sometimes even lower prices than in NZ. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Did covid / Ukraine effect the chickens or the price of chicken feed here?

In a nutshell, YES.

It is all about energy prices and turnover, items with a long lead time will take longer for prices to be affected.

It will get a lot worse before it gets better.

When the extra costs of production kick in due to the additional Wage rise of the Workers and the massive Electricity hike, you can expect the cost of everything you buy to again increase in price.

This will push Inflation to double figures for sure by the Year end.

Many Economies around the Globe are experiencing Inflation rates of around 8-9 %, but they already have the addition costs of Fuel added in.

Thailands Inflation was reported to be 7.6 % , - without the additional cost of Fuel .

With household debt running at record levels, there are sure to be many, many NPL going forward, debts are going to go delinquent for Houses, and Vehicles, in a major way.

Thailands Economy is ( IMO ), not in a good place at the moment.

Tourist numbers are lack lustre, at best.

Export costs will rise due to the Electric hike, making products more expensive in a Global Market that is close to recession.

Consumer spending is going to plummet

The Property Market seems to have stalled 

And, there are large capital outflows from the Country.

• Like 1

baht depreciation + climate change + rising fuel and shipping costs + rising labor costs  + price increases just to keep up with all the cost increases going on around you + possibly a "farang food" surcharge = big price increase. If the OP dares to complain, I'll bet they just stop carrying the item. It's meat and dairy that I predict are going to be prohibitively expensive in the very near future because of how much water is needed to produce these products.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

^ dairy products - what's country of origin; recently back from a stay in New Zealand where the price of cheese / dairy products seems to be a national indicator of inflation most often quotes in news as impact on familiy expenditure ... huge price increases there, and NZ's Fonterra is the world's largest dairy producer.

Lotus's Go Fresh has NZ's Mainland Tasty Cheddar 250g for 209 baht (NZ$9.50) buy the same item in NZ 187 baht (NZ$8.49). Freight and mark-ups no doubt, but the prices have definitely risen.

Three years ago - Tesco Lotus often had Mainland cheese selling at equal and sometimes even lower prices than in NZ. 

Funny you say that.....cream here has always been expensive at around 100 baht for a 250ml container. That was near $5 AUD in my money. Last 3 months NZ cream in Makro 50 baht. Same as Aussie beef was a ridiculous price back home and cheaper than it has ever been here. Like I said I would understand if the price of exported stuff had risen but it doesn't seem to be the case with the stuff I buy. Local everyday stuff homegrown stuff I find very hard to understand.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

When the extra costs of production kick in due to the additional Wage rise of the Workers and the massive Electricity hike, you can expect the cost of everything you buy to again increase in price.

This will push Inflation to double figures for sure by the Year end.

Many Economies around the Globe are experiencing Inflation rates of around 8-9 %, but they already have the addition costs of Fuel added in.

Thailands Inflation was reported to be 7.6 % , - without the additional cost of Fuel .

With household debt running at record levels, there are sure to be many, many NPL going forward, debts are going to go delinquent for Houses, and Vehicles, in a major way.

Thailands Economy is ( IMO ), not in a good place at the moment.

Tourist numbers are lack lustre, at best.

Export costs will rise due to the Electric hike, making products more expensive in a Global Market that is close to recession.

Consumer spending is going to plummet

The Property Market seems to have stalled 

And, there are large capital outflows from the Country.

I thought they were in some trouble before Covid, but as you say there is only a thin glossy film covering the massive economic problems here atm and looks like worse to come. The average household debt well into the 90% of GDP is unheard off. The banks with so many unsecured loans must be shetting bricks. Be interesting to see if teflon Thailand can come out of this without going backward 40 years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Is that your biggest problem?. Fresh fruit 60 baht. Buy that. 50 baht curry. Tinned food is not good for you.

Canned foods can be just as nutritious as fresh and frozen foods because canning preserves many nutrients. The amount of minerals, fat-soluble vitamins, protein, fat and carbohydrate remain relatively unchanged by the process of canning.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Canned foods can be just as nutritious as fresh and frozen foods because canning preserves many nutrients. The amount of minerals, fat-soluble vitamins, protein, fat and carbohydrate remain relatively unchanged by the process of canning.

https://www.choice.com.au/food-and-drink/food-warnings-and-safety/plastic/articles/bpa-in-canned-foods

16 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Today i was in this store and the price was 189 baht. That is a 66 percent increase.

For reference: Being a Type 2 diabetic, any canned food in syrup is a "no, no". As other posts have suggested, I buy frozen peaches from MAKRO in Siem Reap (Cambodia) where I now live. I used to live near Phayao and I know you have a MAKRO . Here frozen peaches are sold in 1 KG bags and are currently on special offer. My freezer is now well stocked!  I use sweetener on them.

FZ HALVES PEACH-ARO-1 KG

Code 150183
$2.40
-16%
$2.00 (about 74 baht!!)

product

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Inflation is in a hyper cycle now. It is far more apparent outside of Thailand. So, anything that gets imported is going up. Some products are going up alot. Real inflation in the US now is likely 28%. It is stunning and the government keeps lying about the real numbers.

The govt is not lying.

Do you know how inflation is measured? A basket of goods is put together. The folks who assemble the basket try to determine what the average citizen spends on everything from rent/mortgage to gas to home electricity to clothing to medical care to the Standard American Diet (SAD, a perfect abbreviation)

The basket should reflect the average consumer. Obviously some people consume way outside of the average, so they feel inflation more, or less, than this average.

Lots of investment banks have analysts who also construct baskets of goods and services, and their numbers tend to closely reflect what the Commerce Dept puts out.

Somebody sees milk prices rose, say, 20% and they extrapolate that increase over every single cost they have, deciding that inflation is 20% and the govt is lying. Maybe their rent, a much more impactful monthly cost, is only up 3% year-on-year.  Maybe they spend $300 per year on milk, but $12000 for rent, yet they extrapolate the milk price rise, not the much less but more impactful rent increase. Human nature.

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Eggs 60% increase in 3 years? Did covid / Ukraine effect the chickens or the price of chicken feed here?

do you think the chickens walk their own eggs to market? or that their feed is produced on site and needn't be delivered?

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1