Worth it to buy new forks? Kawasaki 650R - 09

Kawazaki650R

Might be a bit difficult to answer but here goes;

I went to the kawasaki dealership to have my biked checked today and they said the forks are pretty worn out and that just changing the oil isn't really a choice and that I should consider buying a set of new ones. The issue is that I bought this bike for only 50k baht and I don't really wanna spend a huge amount on it. I will sell it later and I'm hoping I can get the same price for it as I bought it or even slightly more. I personally don't feel like the forks are giving me any issues as of right now. 

When I bought it it had bad paint job especially on the fuel tank. Some light scratches on the fairings. Bad tyres. And the speedometer had water damage. It's got around 27000 km on the clock it and it's a - 09 model. 

I've changed the tyres. I'm planning on having it repainted at some local shop my friend tells me is very cheap. I've changed the battery. I'm planning on changing the speedometer as well. 

So basically considering that I'd like to sell it for what I bought it for or slightly more if possible considering what I'm planning on doing with it and don't want to spend too much money on it, would it really make sense to buy a new set of forks? I think they were 10k for the set. Or should I just keep riding and try to sell it later? How much would it affect the resale value? 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Some workshops are) pod and some want money.

Question are your fork seals leaking.? 

Not leaking as far as I know. I'll take it to my friends shop to confirm later on. But he also checked them a while back and said they are worn out. Can't remember if he said they need to be replaced or if it's just the oil. But I'll go back there again this week to have it double checked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Not leaking as far as I know. I'll take it to my friends shop to confirm later on. But he also checked them a while back and said they are worn out. Can't remember if he said they need to be replaced or if it's just the oil. But I'll go back there again this week to have it double checked. 

Well if there not leaking they may be old but not that worn let's put it this way. 

I'll ask you another question as an engineer that ain't gonna and doesn't want to rip you off ???? how does the bike feel when you ride it, is it a lot different to when you first bought it, does the front not behave when going around corners, is and has it gone sloppy,  is there any adjustments on the model bike you have. 

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well if there not leaking they may be old but not that worn let's put it this way. 

I'll ask you another question as an engineer that ain't gonna and doesn't want to rip you off ???? how does the bike feel when you ride it, is it a lot different to when you first bought it, does the front not behave when going around corners, is and has it gone sloppy,  is there any adjustments on the model bike you have. 

They feel fine to me but I'm a beginner. They guy at the dealership didn't try to push anything on me just said it's the recommendation. But for now I think they're fine. My biggest worry is actually that they found a small dent in the front wheel I never noticed before. I think it's also fine for now but I'll get it checked at that other shop and see what the guy has to say. 

If its not previously crashed, or any other damage to the forks, I doubt they arecworn out, especially less than 30k on odometer. If 300 maybe. 

Get it to a proper Kawa big bike service, and they will help you out. 

Any cracks on the tires, or more than 5 years old tires, get them changed. 

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If its not previously crashed, or any other damage to the forks, I doubt they arecworn out, especially less than 30k on odometer. If 300 maybe. 

Get it to a proper Kawa big bike service, and they will help you out. 

Any cracks on the tires, or more than 5 years old tires, get them changed. 

It's rim that's dented. Not the tire. Tires were changed 2 months ago.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Forks should not wear out. They can get damaged but that should either be visible/feelable or at least result in a leak. Changing oil and seals can be reasonable as those wear out and shouldn't be too expensive. If someone claims forks have to be replaced then they better point out the exact damage.

His English wasn't the best but he said something a long the lines that just changing the oil wouldn't help as the forks are too worn down. He didn't say anything about them being damaged by a crash or anything like they're out of alignment. Only that they're worn out. But I'll take it to my friend's shop as well to have it double checked. 

(This was at a official kawasaki dealership in Bangkok) 

Edited by Kawazaki650R

24 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Forks should not wear out. They can get damaged but that should either be visible/feelable or at least result in a leak. Changing oil and seals can be reasonable as those wear out and shouldn't be too expensive. If someone claims forks have to be replaced then they better point out the exact damage.

I think what OP was told he knows is BS. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I think what OP was told he knows is BS. 

Yea, there might be miscommunication because he also mentioned the mechanic didn't speak english all too well. Maybe they just ment change seals and oil. But 10k is way too much for that. I think he's doing the right thing and getting a second opinion.

• Like 2

I had a 2011 650r. These bikes are notorious for having to replace the bearings in the front shocks. When I sold mine the purchaser found the steering very stiff and we split the cost of replacing the bearings(2). As the deterioration was very gradual, I had never noticed it myself.

So what exactly did they want to replace? The bearings? The whole fork?

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Yea, there might be miscommunication because he also mentioned the mechanic didn't speak english all too well. Maybe they just ment change seals and oil. But 10k is way too much for that. I think he's doing the right thing and getting a second opinion.

Yes agree. ????

Don't auto believe anything a mechanic or dealership says, especially when they're selling you expensive new parts for something you never noticed and cannot notice is wrong. 

Go to others and see if they all give the same diagnoses. 

4 hours ago, Kawazaki650R said:

having it repainted at some local shop my friend tells me is very cheap.

Ahh yes, a very cheap paint job.

Does his wife give very cheap eyebrow tattoos? 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Don't auto believe anything a mechanic or dealership says, especially when they're selling you expensive new parts for something you never noticed and cannot notice is wrong. 

Go to others and see if they all give the same diagnoses. 

Ahh yes, a very cheap paint job.

Does his wife give very cheap eyebrow tattoos? 

spacer.png

Yes that's why I'm asking here too. I'm having some stuff done there as I want it to be from the official dealership. The rest I'll just do at the other shop.

Haha. He took his car there after he crashed and he said they did a perfect job. But let's see. I'll update this thread once I know more. 

17 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I have the Er6n model from the same year - '09. with 55K KM on the odo. Bought used with no service book.

I'll take it in for a service. Besides the oil, oil filter and other fluids, whet should I have them do?

TIA. 

Let them do the service and check the bike over as they should with a bike service. 

Oil and oil filter, check brake pads, check coolant level make sure it has proper coolant fluid in it.

Many other things are obvious as to wearing but whether there worn enough is your decision.

Wait to hear what they say and then you decide whether things are bad enough to replace or fix. 

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Oil and oil filter, check brake pads, check coolant level make sure it has proper coolant fluid in it.

Many other things are obvious as to wearing but whether there worn enough is your decision.

Obvious stuff, I was on about specific service recommendations for this model.

For example, the old carby CBR150 had a carb needle issue where if/when it broke (it was known for breaking easily) it got sucked into the piston and resulted in most of the engine needing to be taken apart. Thus getting a new carb needle for 200THB during a service was always recommended.  ????

45 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Obvious stuff, I was on about specific service recommendations for this model.

For example, the old carby CBR150 had a carb needle issue where if/when it broke (it was known for breaking easily) it got sucked into the piston and resulted in most of the engine needing to be taken apart. Thus getting a new carb needle for 200THB during a service was always recommended.  ????

Wasn't that problem fixed by Honda,  if not most people would go with a Dynojet needle kit.

As for your bike look up in other owners forums is where I look for issue with a bike I am not familiar with to check out. 

I thought your bike is fuel injected so just have a computer analysis plug in check up as well, at Kawasaki I paid 200 baht from memory.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Of course it is FI 55555

You don't know specifics about recommended parts to watch out for on this model, it's okay to admit it 555.

What's up with the attitude? He's trying to help you. Why don't you go to the kawasaki dealership and ask them directly about issues to watch out for? Best of luck! 

1 hour ago, Kawazaki650R said:

What's up with the attitude? He's trying to help you. Why don't you go to the kawasaki dealership and ask them directly about issues to watch out for? Best of luck! 

Yeah no worries you get daft people on here.

The 650 kwaka I had was a Versys there were no issues I  think the R or Ninja or ER6 engines are much the same. 

There was a valve fault recall on my 2011 Versys that CM kwacka dealers said they looked at and changed and Nakon Sawan dealership who found out they hadn't so there's some shady dealers about. 

Hue Hin kwaka seemed to be good. 

Never went to any others I serviced the bike myself except for the computer analysis check which I did with Nakon Sawan every year and no issues were ever found. Good bike good engine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Oh-oh.!

papa over-due.

going on 60Kkm.

• Haha 1