Do the right thing and stop at Zebras - campaign continues

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The authorities in Thailand are continuing to press for Thai drivers to stop at Zebra crossings.

The issue came to a head in February when a policeman drove his Ducati into a doctor crossing the road killing her.

"Mor Kratai" - doctor Kratai - became a rallying call for change.

Yesterday the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and many other agencies including backing from the Interior Ministry met to promote the proper use of Zebra crossings to help protect children and young people.

The backdrop to the meeting said:

"Stop the damage - Stop your vehicle - Let people Cross".

Drivers ignoring the law are a common feature in Thailand, especially at Zebra crossings. 

Yet the police do very little to enforce the law.

Many activities and events are being planned to get motorists to stop, reported Thai Rath

Many crossings have been upgraded and the Thai media has banged the drum for months over the issue. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The only sure way to make them stop ,when someone wants

to cross the road , is have a lollipop man with a machine gun

at every crossing ,dont stop you get blasted .????

regards Worgeordie

I like it,

Can also get the Soi dogs as they pass.

Win Win.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Driving across a zebra crossing while pedestrians are ON it, Baht 10,000 on the spot fine, problem sorted. 

Will find all policemen extremely eager to do "crossing" duty 24 hours a day!

A policeman works the crossing in the morning in the photo I attached and he's totally out of his depth. He actually stands on the crossing in-between 2 traffic cones and stops traffic if someone wants to cross.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Alternate slogans.

Be nice. Do not mow down your countrymen. 

Just because you are behind the wheel, it does not mean you have to become a maniac. 

Taking a life is never a good thing. 

Don't maim. Look while you drive.

Be nice to pedestrians. They could be your kids. 

Maybe add a few:

Don’t drink and drive.

Don’t text (or use your phone in any way) and drive.

Pay attention to the road in front of you when you drive.

For stick shift cars: the brake pedal is the middle one.

For automatic cars: the brake pedal is the one on the left.

Most importantly: you are not infinitely more important than everyone else on the road.

Edited by rudi49jr
  • Like 1

they make it all sound so simple. do the right thing eh ? for whom ? 

this is a serious conundrum. don't stop and you may hit a pedestrian. stop and you may be rammed from behind. which may also smash everyone into the pedestrian you stopped for. 

when i am on my scooter in bkk and stopping at these things i look behind me a million times and my heart goes to heart attack levels. sabai sabai. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Of course, as usual, there is not a single cop to be seen anywhere.

Even if there were, they wouldn’t do anything, because Thai cops don’t give a rat’s @ss about traffic safety, they only see traffic as a source of income.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Even if there were, they wouldn’t do anything, because Thai cops don’t give a rat’s @ss about traffic safety, they only see traffic as a source of income.

Not only that they drive in the same manner as the people they are supposed to police. Hypocrites.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It is if you pay tea money. Grow some balls and ask for the ticket. People that pay bribes makes life harder for genuine people.

Who said I pay tea money? But plenty of people do. And it’s so nice to see someone identify themselves as ‘genuine people’, whatever that may mean.