Do the right thing and stop at Zebras - campaign continues

webfact

So stopping at zebras is only a good will gesture. It's the right thing to do if you're a good person. Would you be so kind as to stop your car at the red light? Be a good boy and do some stopping now once in a while, instead of always driving through and killing people.

This kind of campagne is not going to increase my trust in pedestrian crossings in Thailand. Pedestrian crossings that do not get enforced 200% are more dangerous than zero pedestrian crossings.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've seen two accidents when people have stopped, therefore I don't stop. When you stop, the pedestrian has a false sense of safety and they get hit by someone driving around your stopped car. 

Or you get bumped into them!

22 hours ago, arithai12 said:

In CM things are improving. Far from ideal, but definitely improving.

Just yesterday I saw cars and motorbikes stopping for pedestrians crossing on main roads (Suthep, Huay Kaew, Moon Muang) several times. It used to be zero years ago.

Same in Bangkok. 

I came back from abroad after the doctor's death and something very weird happened at our local zebra: cars stopped and people crossed (there is no redlight). This happened again and again, I found it very strange,  but after a while I got used to it. The local pedestrians are obviously used to it.

Later I found another zebra, where it's almost the same. By now I had already made the connection between the doctor's death and this new piece of Thai culture. 

Even at the almost invisible zebra in front of our building many cars will let me pass.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 6:56 AM, webfact said:

Drivers ignoring the law are a common feature in Thailand, especially at Zebra crossings. 

I have yet to see a Thai law requiring drivers to stop to let people cross at a pedestrian crossing. At a red traffic light, yes, regardless whether or not there is a pedestian crossing at that point.

On 9/22/2022 at 2:37 AM, JackGats said:

So stopping at zebras is only a good will gesture. It's the right thing to do if you're a good person. Would you be so kind as to stop your car at the red light? Be a good boy and do some stopping now once in a while, instead of always driving through and killing people.

This kind of campagne is not going to increase my trust in pedestrian crossings in Thailand. Pedestrian crossings that do not get enforced 200% are more dangerous than zero pedestrian crossings.

It is actually against the law NOT to stop at a pedestrian crossing, but sadly unenforced by the RTP.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Puccini said:

Against what section of what Thai law? I have searched for years and found nothing.

I found this dated September 13th 2022 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1271714-a-guide-to-thailand’s-new-rules-of-the-road/

Harsher penalties

Jumping a red light or failing to stop for pedestrians at a zebra crossing carries a maximum fine of 4,000 baht under the new laws – up from 1,000 baht. Driving against traffic and not wearing a crash helmet or safety belt, meanwhile, come with a maximum fine of 2,000 baht – a fourfold increase from 500 baht.

Those found guilty of driving without care for the safety or lives of others face a fine of between 5,000 baht and 20,000 baht and/or a maximum of one year in jail. The penalties are raised from a maximum three-month sentence and a fine of 2,000 to 10,000 baht.

Which in turn led to this link

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-guide-to-thailands-new-rules-of-the-road/

which is where the story above came from.

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you. So there is finally a new law (probably a law amending the existing Road Traffic Act)

It used to be relatively easy to find Thai laws and Ministerial Regulations on the website of the Counil of State, aka the Cabinet, but things have changed on that site so much that I can't find my way about it anymore.

• Like 1

krisdika.go.th is the website I used for finding Thai laws.

พระราชบัญญัติ จราจรทางบก is the Thai title of the Road Traffic Act.

Perhaps someone else with better skills than mine will be able to find the updated version of this law.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 2:39 PM, John Drake said:

The only thing that will fix this are automated guardrails that lower for pedestrians, while tire spikes emerge simultaneously from the road.

Before going to this expense send police out for the day to use these crossings and punish the drivers who have nearly killed them.

• Like 1

What is a 'zebra crossing'? Does it mean the ones painted black and white? In my local town the crossings are now red and white. The old black and whites are gradually being worn out, and are hardly visible now. So do they count still?

I find that if I stop to let someone cross, I get toots from behind. And once a car passed me on the outside, nearly hitting the guy walking across.

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

Yes.

In Bangkok,  they are still mostly black and white.  Only you country bumpkins get the beautiful new red ones,  we here have to wait. 

Got them in Pattaya.....

Edited by jacko45k

On 9/21/2022 at 3:36 PM, swm59nj said:

Not only Zebra crossings,  but red lights also. 
Things will never change unless a major enforcement crack down takes place 

About 10 years ago in Pattaya, they put dozens of traffic lights at zebra crossings. People didn't stop for the red lights and they ended up turning most of them off, so there's no chance they'll stop for zebra crossings. I noticed recently they have turned some of them back on.

There's only one way to cross a road in Thailand. Look both ways and cross when the road is clear. That will never change. This can be a problem for tourists from countries that drive on the right, as they are used to looking the other way when crossing roads.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:34 AM, Neeranam said:

I've seen two accidents when people have stopped, therefore I don't stop. When you stop, the pedestrian has a false sense of safety and they get hit by someone driving around your stopped car. 

This is a major issue: and I have experienced similar.

I used to stop as a matter of course even when people were just waiting to cross as opposed to actually on the crossing. I found this caused hazard and risks both for me and the pedestrian.

1) other drivers following behind do not expect you to stop and I nearly got rear-ended on a couple of occasions. 
  2) drivers in other lanes (and especially motorcycles) don’t usually bother to stop without good reason and pedestrians don’t always exercise the necessary caution , just because one lane stops for you it doesn’t mean that other lanes will as well. On more than one occasion I have seen pedestrians come close to being knocked over by speeding vehicles in other lanes after I have stopped for them.

I now will only stop when the road looks pretty clear behind and to the side or when slow moving traffic makes it safe for all concerned 

• Like 1

I stopped for a pedestrian at Yaowarat and with a quick nod he fasten his crossing pace. He got hit by a motorbike coming from my left. It was not serious but with some bruises. I had a strong guilty feeling like I caused the accident to happen.

Surprisingly the rider was annoyed and the pedestrian apologetic. (Jaw dropped)

Edited by timberpond
remove censored word