When to convert from 3 month non-O to retirement extension

I recently received a 3 month non-O visa which I will be converting to a one year retirement extension. The visa expires on Dec 22, when can I go convert the visa? Can I go early--say one month before, or do I need to wait until closer to the date it expires? Thanks in advance.  

You are not converting anything.

You are applying for a 12 month extension of your permission of stay. 

You can do that 30 days prior to expiry of your permit.

The 800k will need to have been in your Thai bank account for 2 months + on day of application 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You are not converting anything.

You are applying for a 12 month extension of your permission of stay. 

You can do that 30 days prior to expiry of your permit.

The 800k will need to have been in your Thai bank account for 2 months + on day of application 

Thanks, one million baht stays in my account just for extensions/visas.

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

My immigration office insist, you must apply 2 weeks before the 3 months are up you can't go, on say the last day if you need to for some reason, like waiting for new passport. is this normal ?

Anybody familiar with how many days Jomtien requires? I forgot to mention what office I would be using in the original post.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You require 15 days remaining on your permission of stay for most immigration offices.

Some such as CM require 21 days. 

That's normal rubbish from that office. 

Yeh my mate is sweating it, OZ embassy appointments to apply for new passport last week were fully booked until the 7 of OCT then 8 weeks if your lucky to get your new passport back. he's going to be in deep poo poo???? if his 3 month extension expires, I guess he'll have to do a border hop and start again. Embassies don't give a rats ass.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

My situation is.... I have a Visa on arrival from Sept 2 for 30 days to Oct. 1, I have an extension on that to Oct. 31.  I have my bank account open but my money transfer ability has lagged.  When do I need to have the 800K in the bank here?  What date?  And then apply for my O-Visa without leaving to start over due to slow credit union transfers.  Will I get another 30 day extension to apply for the Non-Imm-O?  I'm using Jomtien Immigration.  Thanks for your assistance.

8 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

Hi Folks,

My situation is.... I have a Visa on arrival from Sept 2 for 30 days to Oct. 1, I have an extension on that to Oct. 31.  I have my bank account open but my money transfer ability has lagged.  When do I need to have the 800K in the bank here?  What date?  And then apply for my O-Visa without leaving to start over due to slow credit union transfers.  Will I get another 30 day extension to apply for the Non-Imm-O?  I'm using Jomtien Immigration.  Thanks for your assistance.

You require the 800k in your Thai bank on the day you apply for the non O.

Be aware you will need to show that money came from abroad.

The non O gives you a 90 day stamp and in last month with money having been in the account for 2 months you can obtain 12 month extension 

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

My situation is.... I have a Visa on arrival from Sept 2 for 30 days to Oct. 1, I have an extension on that to Oct. 31.  I have my bank account open but my money transfer ability has lagged.  When do I need to have the 800K in the bank here?  What date?  And then apply for my O-Visa without leaving to start over due to slow credit union transfers.  Will I get another 30 day extension to apply for the Non-Imm-O?

You need the 800k baht in the bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa. You will need at least 15 days remaining on the 30 day extension you have now to apply. Requirments are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

The non-o visa will allow a 90 days in the country. You can apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the 90 days and the 800k baht will need to be the bank for 2 months.

You can only apply for one 30 day extension per entry to the cuntry.

Thanks Jack & Joe.  So I have about 3 weeks from today to get my funds transferred.  Get to immigration before Oct. 15th.  Might be possible.  Greatly appreciated.  I thought I had one week to go and it wasn't looking possible.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

11 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

.  So I have about 3 weeks from today to get my funds transferred

Out of interest ..which method of transfer do you plan on using. 

It's something that is often discussed. 

There are threads with good info in "Banking" (business) forum

Edited by DrJack54

I was going to transfer from Schwab to Bangkok Bank of New York which transfers here in a day or so but Schwab says they don't ACH to BK Bank.  They can wire.  BK Bank New York website says they only accept ACH.  My Schwab is partial for the 800K, my credit union the other half.  They're both going to charge me.  So now it looks like I'll just use them both.  Wise uses a proxy called "Plaid".  To use them I have to cough up my credit union login information.  Probably won't happen.  Same with Xe Currency.  Low fees, but give up your login.  Have a better idea?

Edited by Joebuzzz
addition of last sentence.

3 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

Have a better idea?

No I don't given what you outline.

Personally I use WISE.

Also have used FOREX.

Found Wise best vs other options.

You obviously have looked into it and seem aware of options.

The business forum has a sub forum "banking" with discussion about this topic. 

1 minute ago, Joebuzzz said:

I was going to transfer from Schwab to Bangkok Bank of New York which transfers here in a day or so but Schwab says they don't ACH to BK Bank.  They can wire.  BK Bank New York website says they only accept ACH. 

To do transfers to the Bangkok Bank in New York you would need a special direct deposit account.

Another way is to do a foreign remittance via New York but it your bank has to send them a cashiers check. See: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Foreign-Remittance

Many people suggest using Wise for the transfers.

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You require the 800k in your Thai bank on the day you apply for the non O.

Be aware you will need to show that money came from abroad.

The non O gives you a 90 day stamp and in last month with money having been in the account for 2 months you can obtain 12 month extension 

question; 
have a thai bank account ( less than 800,000) and i moved to Cambodia for a year, now am retuning>
I have the $$ but want bring it with me rather than transfer it in to convert a visa exempt to a 90 day non o
can I ?  PHUKET
or does it need be transferred in

13 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

question; 
have a thai bank account ( less than 800,000) and i moved to Cambodia for a year, now am retuning>
I have the $$ but want bring it with me rather than transfer it in to convert a visa exempt to a 90 day non o
can I ?  PHUKET
or does it need be transferred in

Must be a transfer from abroad. 

When I first came to Thailand was not aware of the rules.

Had lot of cash from Oz and used super rich green to exchange.

As a result I ended up obtaining my non O retirement at Vientiane as the funds from abroad not an issue.

Aso for extensions it's not an requirement to show funds from abroad. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Update:

So I did a "test" transfer of $100 using Wise.  There are two options: 1) Verify account immediately.  That uses the "Plaid" application.  With that you are required to commit your bank  account login information; 2) Verify using penny deposits, return to your Wise account in a couple days and verify the deposit amounts, linking your accounts.  I chose #2.  At $100 I'm sure I'm paying a maximum fee, but it's just a test.  Xe currency shows the present conversion rate at 37.29 and I got 36.53.  So I get about 2% less than the present conversion rate shown online at Xe.  Eh. YMMV.