Prawit stuns the cabinet demanding a ฿35 to the dollar rate and action from the Finance Minister

webfact

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Interfering with the free market carries much worse potential consequences. Exchange rates go up and down in cycles. That's how it works. By the way, the definition of "overvalued USD" - is that YOUR definition? Did you write the book on world economics? If so I'd like to read it and become enlightened like you. And BTW, haven't I been hearing about Thailand wanting the tourists' dollars back? So if this helps "dollar carrying tourists" how is it not a good thing? They'll be spending more and dumping it into the Thai economy anyway. Don't answer, that was a rhetorical question. 

Free market?...????

Hasn't been any free market for decades...if ever.

• Thanks 1

As of this moment the USD is marching on and the Baht loosing ground

image.png.022ee41c72a3f5b5a62e9d70a250a392.png

Watching TNN 16 now and they are discussing how foolish Prawits demand to drop the exchange rate to 35 Thb per $1.  It would seem that now all eyes from the west will be turned towards Thailand to see if this manipulation will occur based on this new deatil.  Waiting to see if it is picked up in the international business news.

It seems the acting PM needs to take some lessons in Economics.  When the baht is undervalued, it will be excellent for the Thai economy.  For example, when dollars can buy more baht, the Thai products become cheaper to other nations, leading them to import more Thai products.  This means Thailand's exports will increase, and everyone who knows anything about economics will know that a good economy is supported by a "favorable balance in trade," i.e. a country exports more than it imports.

This is the exact reason America was upset only a few years ago when China artificially held its currency to a lower value.

Thailand wants its baht at a higher value?  Why not just say you don't value the country's economy anymore and just want to be able to spend your baht elsewhere?

Edited by AsianAtHeart
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Interfering with the free market carries much worse potential consequences. Exchange rates go up and down in cycles. That's how it works. By the way, the definition of "overvalued USD" - is that YOUR definition? Did you write the book on world economics? If so I'd like to read it and become enlightened like you. And BTW, haven't I been hearing about Thailand wanting the tourists' dollars back? So if this helps "dollar carrying tourists" how is it not a good thing? They'll be spending more and dumping it into the Thai economy anyway. Don't answer, that was a rhetorical question. 

"Intefering with the free market". That's a joke. What do you think QE was and all that money poured into subsidizing businesses during the pandemic (which was used it to goose management salaries and buy back shares). The Fed has done nothing but interfere with the free market ever since the Reagan era.

You probably have hundreds of businesses in Thailand that borrowed cheap dollars when interest rates were at zero.  And not just in Thailand but all over the world. This isn't going to help the tourist trade much either  unless you expect an influx of Americans, which I doubt since most of them have no money.

I'm American though, and I have money so I'm happy as a clam. I get better interest rates on my cash and a strong dollar.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

This used to be at least 100 bucks. Now it's $69. An incredible drop. Over the past two months the Japanese I teach online have gradually disappeared.

images - 2022-09-22T071557.830.jpeg

Ouch....the drop is happening to many currencies and economies are tanking while others fight hard to stay afloat.

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

Or Thailand could promote this exchange rate with American tourists. Oops. Forgot. They want to focus on Russians instead.

Speculation, but I'm thinking there may well be an increase of Russian men coming wanting to escape Vlad's "partial mobilization" to fight in the war on Ukraine.

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

He must be holding euros and pounds with a massive touch of swiss francs ????

In which case he may, I think, be shooting himself in the foot since any engineered appreciation in the THB's value against the USD will likely have a similar impact on the EUR, GBP and CHF xrates as well.

In any event, as the graph below shows, the GBP is already on a downward trajectory against the THB without any USD-related manipulatory assistance from the DPM and his henchmen:-

GBP to THB Chart 1 Year

Edited by OJAS

I 'aint' no econimeest' so I'd really encourage any actual economists to chime in and give professional experiential comment here. 

I'd love to see the baht exchange rate improve Vis a Vis to the AUD. But as some have elucidated here the connections and balances across the globe are at play and need to be managed with great care, lest we remove the brakes on the inflationary train.

As for Biden being the cause of the inflation in the US (and its impact on world financial events) how convenient, comforting, and myopic to hold such a simplistic view of that economy, and its interactions with the rest of the world economies.

Considering the previous 'President' (aint' that a misnomer) presided over the greatest deficit growth in American history (fact not fictional rhetoric) and the world has just experienced a world shattering medical emergency that has devastated economies across our world. Destabilising the world not seen since the Spanish Flu of 1917 combines with the impact of events in and from Russia, and the insecurity, destabilising effects and emboldenment of anarchic fascistic elements (all incapable of managing and steering national economies (another historical fact not fictional rhetoric) during and post the US 45th Presidency.

I'd love to hear from thoughtful critically thinking members on how the up-till-now western run world can adapt peacefully to the rise of China not as adversary but as partner in the future of the planet.

How do we deal with the economically destabilising impact of western not just Chinese hegemony?

How do we, can we, shift away from failed 'trickle down' economics, and its gestating of anti-humanity, self destructive fascism (and please don't try to tell me that this top down system has worked because we have built lots of stuff) to an altruistic non-rapist economic system?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Well, one way it's not a good thing is the cost oil. Which is priced in dollars.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Well, what would you call the U.S, Fed raising interest rates if not free market interference. The US was having no trouble selling Treasury notes at lower rates to finance its deficit but raised the rates to fight inflation. So it's not really just about free markets, is it?

13 minutes ago, huangnon said:

I wonder if Watchman remembers what happened last time the Baht was pegged to the USD in 1997.? ????

There may be trouble ahead..

I've been told that what happened in 1997 was that a few elite among the Thai bankers had been corrupt (one of whom was recently in the news having been sentenced for his part), and had deprived the banks of most of their holdings in foreign currencies.  Not being backed by the gold standard, and having no ability to buy back their baht, when the IMF floated some baht, Thai banks were unable to purchase back their own currency--quickly devaluing it.  The baht went from 32 baht/dollar to about 57 baht/dollar overnight.  This had little to do with any particular foreign currency as a standard against the baht--the baht could have been redeemed in pounds, marks, or other currencies.  It had everything to do with corruption and improper preparation for market stability of the Thai currency.

Because Thailand's economy is central to many economies in the region, the entire Southeast Asian region suffered a tremendous blow--reaching as far as to Australia.

When we're all propping each other up, it's dominoes when one goes down.

You can be absolutely certain his demand is purely self interest. As with all Thai politicians he buys vast amounts of USD for the day he's sent into exile. Remember July 1997 when Chavalit shorted the THB the Friday before the following  Monday when the Tha baht crashed. Sources in HSBC say he made USD400m personally off the trade. He was never investigated! Amazing Thailand!! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Weak  (or strong baht) have both pros and cons.

A weak baht is good for exports and tourism but bad for foreign debt servicing.

So ,I believe Prawit's statement was out of concern that govt and private companies will have to pay more for debt servicing. 

Anyone else sense an economic storm coming btw?

look no further than Japan

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Before doing anything internally and wasting his the country's money he should have  a word with dementia Joe, as the US dollar is surging not because what Thailand is doing but due to Biden's insane throw away money policies. $ will be high for 18-24 months now, take the hit and the export gain. You start trying to keep up with Joe and Thailand will go broke.

He should try having my pound  - down both against the dollar AND the baht. Making the baht stronger due to one currency fluctuation is madness

If Biden is the reason that my US Dollar income has risen by nearly 20% this year I LOVE the guy. I'm hoping for 45-50 Baht to the Dollar.

The U.S. Dollar is strong against most currencies in the world so not much Thailand can do about it but accept the devaluation and get on with life. Any attempt to keep the Baht artificially high could have a disastrous affect on economy including tourism.