Foreigner facing negligent driving charge causing death after Thai motorcyclist killed in Lopburi

webfact

Can’t believe a Thai witness against a farang , when my ex wife was gambling and cheating with boyfriend, I was the bad guy , when I kicked her out the house I was the bad guy for about 6 months then it was ,yes she was the bad one but she Thai , we Thai 

I am just happy not to be the foreigner involved.  This is Thailand and not everybody can

afford a pickup or even a car, so a motorcycle with side car will not disappear even if they are considered illegal.

You expats are richer than most middle class or below Thai families, try to remember that fact.

Thanks in advance.

On 9/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, RichardColeman said:

Pretty sure the multiple years for the offence will be

Thai perp : 10 years

Foreign Perp : 20 years

Foreign black perp : 30 years

I'm not sure that's true at all. A wealthy foreigner, irrespective of fault, is likely to be able to pay their way out of jail-time.   Is there any evidence that any foreigner is doing serious jail-time in Thailand for a traffic offence?

We are hearing more and more reports of foreigners in crashes on Thai roads. My guess is that car ownership amongst expats is on the increase - the next thing will be a clampdown on foreign car ownership.

There is a serious problem with foreigners driving in Thailand - they simply don't understand the driving environment here and think that everyone should drive as they did at home - wherever that may be - and then they don't think they need to abide by even the most basic driving laws ad praise not being in a "nanny state" - you can't have it both ways.

• Haha 2

On 9/23/2022 at 7:20 AM, Kwasaki said:

I suppose the 4 lane pot holed road had nothing to do with it. 

Even the new roads in Thailand are bad. However a competent driver needs to understand this and be aware that a road covered in water can conceal all sorts of dangers. 

The image is not clear but it looks like the truck is a fair distance from the road which would suggest it was travelling at some speed. Of course a proper analysis of the scene by the police would tell exactly how fast the vehicle was travelling. unfortunately the RTP aren't trained to do this properly so they'll just rely of the statements of amateur witnesses.

Edited by Thunglom