Foreigner facing negligent driving charge causing death after Thai motorcyclist killed in Lopburi

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: 77kaoded

77kaoded reported that Ban Mee police in Lopburi, central Thailand, and rescue services were called to Route 205 after a collison between a pick-up and a motorcycle with sidecar in heavy rain outside the temple of Wat Wang Neua.

A foreigner in an overturned Nissan pick-up with Chanthaburi plates had already been taken to hospital when police arrived. 

It was not known where he was from, his age or name. But the media put in brackets that he was a black man. 

Dead in the flooded paddy field was 57 year old Sophon.

Witnesses said they saw the pick-up being driven at speed. It had gone into flood waters on the pot holed four lane road where the driver lost control and collided with the motorcyclist.

The police were preparing charges of negligent driving causing death against the foreigner.

The media had a video of the aftermath of the accident with rescue services removing the dead man from the paddy in a white sheet. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

19 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Everyone salivates when a foreigner is involved because money might change hands. Trial by media and investigation concluded after listening to the local gossip.

Maybe he was culpable and maybe not. I think evidence and proof of guilt is generally required for a conviction.

Agreed, the authorities will be able to calculate speed from where the pickup rests in the paddy. I'm sure the Judicial System will run its course and hope the witnesses testimony sheds some light for the Foreigner....... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Everyone salivates when a foreigner is involved because money might change hands. Trial by media and investigation concluded after listening to the local gossip.

Maybe he was culpable and maybe not. I think evidence and proof of guilt is generally required for a conviction.

Yes, although he hasn't yet been found guilty by the Courts and the media are just reporting what they have been told and the media haven't put him on trial , let alone it being concluded 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Who said he was speeding and how would they know? The greedy eye witness family with their paws out streched for a handout?

It was people who witnessed the accident who said he was speeding and there have been no reports of any money being requested by the witnesses 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps it wasn't a sh_t road, it just had a pothole filled with water hiding it, that had not been repaired.....????

I had one of those, totally Bo.....d the suspension on a Nissan I had many years ago, it was dark & raining, I wasn't driving too fast but I managed to find the deepest water filled pot hole known to man, cost a fortune to repair, ☹

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Agreed, the authorities will be able to calculate speed from where the pickup rests in the paddy. I'm sure the Judicial System will run its course and hope the witnesses testimony sheds some light for the Foreigner....... 

Shed some light? I know it is reported for some reason that he is black,but.....or is sarcasm intended?????

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Shed some light? I know it is reported for some reason that he is black,but.....or is sarcasm intended?????

Reminds me a Jim Davidson joke about a police sergeant talking to one of his constables who was asking what he should do with a road accident driver, Sarge ." Is he black" constable. "Yes". Sarge. " Nick him". ????

7 hours ago, Seeall said:

I have heard 100 times tht sidecars are illegal, so it should not be on the road... technically

RIP the Thai guy likely just going about his business trying to scrape a living. In my experience these motorcycle sidecars (salengs?) are a total menace on the roads. They are usually driven by the less well off as a means of utility transport for their business and family. The contraptions are often in poor condition, not safe and rarely, if ever, have rear lights. They will often make turns without indication let alone looking out for other traffic. Road safety skills are typically non-existent with these riders. It could be the case that the truck driver was speeding or not driving to the conditions. The truck driver's race is immaterial and who knows how many similar tragedies involving only Thais (or people from neighbouring countries) take place that never get reported in the press.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I think evidence and proof of guilt is generally required for a conviction.

You would hope so but we need to remember where we are.

He was driving 'at speed' - well it was a 4 lane road. What speed? 50km/h?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I had one of those, totally Bo.....d the suspension on a Nissan I had many years ago, it was dark & raining, I wasn't driving too fast but I managed to find the deepest water filled pot hole known to man, cost a fortune to repair, ☹

Did that on a motorcycle, front wheel ended up egg shaped, like a clowns bike, luckily i didn't come off.

• Like 1