Onward ticket to show at border control on arrival

I arrive on Sept.30 and have a return ticket booked for mid-March. I intend to enter visa exempt then do border runs or a visa run from a neighbouring country once my 30+30 days are up. Do I need an onward ticket that is earlier than that as a precaution to show at border control when I arrive in BKK? If so, what date should I choose?  

7 minutes ago, Virtualrecluse said:

Do I need an onward ticket that is earlier than that as a precaution to show at border control when I arrive in BKK?

Won't be an issue at immigration when arrive in Thailand.

The airline at departure may request one 

Plenty of threads about your options for onward flight within 30 days. 

I'm arriving 11 Oct with a return 75 days later (45 days visa exempt + 30 days extension)

I'm not concerned at all as Airline has a paid ticket should I be very unlikely denied entry ($70 change booking fee)

Edited by aussiexpat

15 hours ago, Virtualrecluse said:

So, if Qatar request one, even tho my return is with them in March, I may need an onward ticket with another airline within the 30 days?

@Andrew Dwyer outlined the option of "rent a ticket" and that works fine.

Another option is to attend check-in with your return ticket.

If the airline requires an onward flight and is firm you can step away from counter and book cheapest onward flight. approx 1500baht.

Obviously you would require internet access. 

Screenshot of flight with confirmed payment is fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

As confirmed by you experts, on check-in in Europe I was indeed asked (by Qatar) for a return within the 30-day exempt entrance method I chose to enter even tho' my actual return with Qatar was for March 2023. Fortunately, I had bought a ticket via onwardticket.com.

Issue solved.

Thank you so much

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2022 at 7:42 AM, DrJack54 said:

@Andrew Dwyer outlined the option of "rent a ticket" and that works fine.

Another option is to attend check-in with your return ticket.

If the airline requires an onward flight and is firm you can step away from counter and book cheapest onward flight. approx 1500baht.

Obviously you would require internet access. 

Screenshot of flight with confirmed payment is fine.

If he has internet access and not in rush to board, he can book a "rent a ticket" from the recommended $14 shop.  A confirmation email shows up almost immediately, and the booking shows on the airline website within five minutes.  (my experience - one data point)

8 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

If he has internet access and not in rush to board, he can book a "rent a ticket" from the recommended $14 shop.  A confirmation email shows up almost immediately, and the booking shows on the airline website within five minutes.  (my experience - one data point)

Yes that would be an option.

I guess the step away book real throw away ticket was a very quick solution.

I just recently booked a ticket Bangkok to Saigon.

Took a minute.