What type of box to connect from wifi to smart tv ?

gimo

I am very tech unsavy and have been told that I need an android box to connect to my WiFi and smart TV in order to get  IPTV . It must have 3/4GB of RAM and 32GB of ROM ( don't know what ROMs and RAMs are ) and a google playstore . Very few people at tech shops speak english here in this Issan town . Is it possible to walk into a shop and buy the box I require . My wifi provider is AIS but they never know what I'm talking about when I go there . IPTV gave me above info and told me to get a firestick ?? and go to Amazon  ? The only Amazon shop here sells coffee and the only other Amazon I know is the river and jungle . I  want a box , not a stick because my friend who has a box and IPTV might be able to help me connect it ( his box and IPTV were already included when he moved into his rental condo ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

The definition of a "smart TV" is that it can connect to the internet (wifi) and run apps (IPTV), not sure why people are saying you need a separate android box.

Otherwise, you can find an android box on Lazada, if you dont have a local IT mall.

Firestick is just another brand name of an android box.

Thanks Peter . Does that mean that the smart TV already contains  3/4GB of RAM and 32GB of ROM already in it ? As I said my friend's rental condo has wifi connected to an android box and the TV

5 minutes ago, gimo said:

Thanks Peter . Does that mean that the smart TV already contains  3/4GB of RAM and 32GB of ROM already in it ? As I said my friend's rental condo has wifi connected to an android box and the TV

The answer to that is that it may or may not. It’s impossible to give a definitive answer without knowing what model tv you have.

It is quite likely that your tv already has the capability of doing what you want.

Without knowing exactly which stations you want to connect to and who provides them it’s very difficult to to know if you actually need anything mote than you already have.

• Like 2

A 'smart' TV can connect to the internet and, depending on age and specification, may have certain common apps built in (e.g. Netflix, Amazon video, web browser etc).  However you will usually gain a lot by adding an Android box.  They are not expensive and can be found in IT malls and on Shopee, Lazada etc...

e.g. https://s.lazada.co.th/s.7Z7lx

• Like 1

If your tv is new enough, or advanced enough, as others said you may not need one.

You can start there.

I brought an Amazon firestick to thailand and it's what I use.  I'm not sure they sell them this side of the pond though?

But for others reading this, I think he'd just like to know exactly what android box you are using and a link to a specific one that you know is good enough to get the job done. 

Right OP?

I understand the frustration of having to buy somehting you have zero clue about.  Good luck, hope someone can point you in the right direction.  Or if you can find a firestick that should work but I haven't looked for IPTV on it to know for sure.

10 hours ago, Dart12 said:

But for others reading this, I think he'd just like to know exactly what android box you are using and a link to a specific one that you know is good enough to get the job done. 

Right OP?

I understand the frustration of having to buy somehting you have zero clue about. 

The problem with getting a recommendation is that the recommender is likely to understand how to set it up, hence the ROM & RAM requirement, that doesn’t mean that it’s going to be possible for the OP to set it up

However if there is an 8 to 12 year old boy in the house then that will probably be the answer.

it’s quite likely that the knowledge of the OP means that an Apple TV would be a better choice if the apps he needs are available on it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

13 hours ago, Dart12 said:

I'm not sure they sell them this side of the pond though?

There are plenty of Fire Sticks for sale on Lazada: 

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=amazon+firestick+4k+&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.6f3186bdx4DCqB

OP. You can find plenty of walk through videos on Youtube to help you set up a Fire Stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38oLnI5vj5g

Your IPTV provider should be able to help you. They will have to give you sign in details anyway and will tell you which IPTV app you will need to download.

Plus you will need to sign up for a Google account to access the Google Play Store which is basically a place for downloading any particular apps you might want.

Some examples: TuneIN ( an app for listening to internet radio),  Netflix or Amazon Prime apps if you subscribe to those services. Though you will need a VPN to get the best out of those, but that is another matter. Maybe a weather or news app. It all depends on your personal interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcM9tFoAH8

HTH

Edited by phetphet
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

There are plenty of Fire Sticks for sale on Lazada: 

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=amazon+firestick+4k+&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.6f3186bdx4DCqB

OP. You can find plenty of walk through videos on Youtube to help you set up a Fire Stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38oLnI5vj5g

Your IPTV provider should be able to help you. They will have to give you sign in details anyway and will tell you which IPTV app you will need to download.

Plus you will need to sign up for a Google account to access the Google Play Store which is basically a place for downloading any particular apps you might want.

Some examples: TuneIN ( an app for listening to internet radio),  Netflix or Amazon Prime apps if you subscribe to those services. Though you will need a VPN to get the best out of those, but that is another matter. Maybe a weather or news app. It all depends on your personal interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcM9tFoAH8

HTH

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K: 1.5GB of RAM with 8 GB of storage. Locked down Android.

Not to steal the topic, but anyone know a good Mirror / streaming app for Firestick.  The one everyone recommends online is now a subscription fee.

I really just wish firestick didn't kill browsers, then I could just stream straight thru the stick.

2 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Not to steal the topic, but anyone know a good Mirror / streaming app for Firestick.  The one everyone recommends online is now a subscription fee.

I really just wish firestick didn't kill browsers, then I could just stream straight thru the stick.

Confused. 

Kill Browsers? 

You mean this: 

spacer.png

https://windowsreport.com/amazon-fire-tv-does-not-open-browser-links/

What issue exactly are you experiencing and how, exactly, would you stream if you weren't having the issue?

On 9/25/2022 at 10:07 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

This is clearly a troll. Someone who has never heard of Amazon? Really? Come on. And all the don't understand stuff from someone who professes to be untech savy is also nonsense

IPTV is a service, not a company or person. If the OP could get an answer about IPTV it must be by Googling ( a term I'm sure the OP would claim that he doesn't understand), and doing that would answer all his other 'questions' (what is RAM/ROM).

I disagree.  He made a joke about Amazon and said "IPTV" instead of "IPTV provider".  There are people who live outside the "tech" world. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:32 AM, Bruno123 said:

Good to know that my "IPTV PROVIDER COMPANY" sent me a "good example"!  ???? 

445636299_MagicseeN5IPTVBoxcrop600IMG_20220926_104202.jpg.31b24ac4f51be8ca96239a0148a4e757.jpg

11 minutes ago, transam said:

I have 2 Smart TV's, 2 and 4 years old. Both have a provision to enter your Wifi password....Has a LAN cable connection too...

Ditto - both about the same ages, both connected to a "Magicsee N5" Android box.

But the last couple of days, 3BB has had a problem providing the IPTV signal. The TV would pause and continue between 10 and 30 seconds. But this morning, after 10:30am, it started working normally. The IPTV company said it was a 3BB problem and I believe them.

One of the best android boxes on the market, https://www.formuler.com/ comes preloaded with all the Apps you need including "MyTVonline 2" Electronic programme guide, Playstore, Netflix, etc. You just set up an account with an IPTV provider Using the MAC address shown on the label attached to the android box, once account is active open "MyTVonline 2" click on "add new account" input your details as provided by your IPTV provider and connect, job done.
Formuler boxes can be ordered via Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=formuler+z8+pro&adgrpid=81306946693&gclid=CjwKCAjw-L-ZBhB4EiwA76YzOfxZYeK6DaRnaY-GhbE8vxqpb2NwkQxk3G65nmSQ_zeHZ6FpWwRlkBoCMUEQAvD_BwE&hvadid=585412561597&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9073376&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16662898171008483776&hvtargid=kwd-867007869544&hydadcr=22337_13333082&tag=hydglogoo-20&ref=pd_sl_4khwlyaflz_e

Gimo, you need a lot more help then you will get from this forum. If you are really as "unsavy" as you say. Everyone here is going to confuse you with many different ideas and terms and it will just confuse you more. You need to find a local person that already has a "box"  and go see what they have and how they do it. Or get to a local IT store on your next trip to the big city. If you have computer and internet skills even basic skills then researching the internet for IPTV and all related info is where you need to start.  If you try to get the easy answer here you will just get overwhelmed. 

On 9/26/2022 at 12:43 PM, Cardano said:

Would also highly recommend you set up a good subscription VPN such as Nord, Express or Surfshark. otherwise your ISP will eventually throttle your connection causing buffering and freezing.

I've been getting adverts from Expressvpn on my phone. I've not had problems yet with my IPTV provider, but it's cheap enough just to get it anyway.

Is there anything I have to do to get it to work with my Android box?  I don't want to screw things up.

20 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I've been getting adverts from Expressvpn on my phone. I've not had problems yet with my IPTV provider, but it's cheap enough just to get it anyway.

Is there anything I have to do to get it to work with my Android box?  I don't want to screw things up.

ExpressVPN is one of the most expensive ones although it is very good. NordVPN and Surfshark are also very good but much cheaper.
To get set up do a google search for the VPN you want, open the VPN web page and create your account with username and password, you can now use VPN on your desktop/laptop. To set up on any android device (IPTV box, Tablet, Phone) go to playstore app, search for and download your VPN app, using your username and password log in to your account, from the list select which country server you want to use, job done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardano said:

ExpressVPN is one of the most expensive ones although it is very good. NordVPN and Surfshark are also very good but much cheaper.
To get set up do a google search for the VPN you want, open the VPN web page and create your account with username and password, you can now use VPN on your desktop/laptop. To set up on any android device (IPTV box, Tablet, Phone) go to playstore app, search for and download your VPN app, using your username and password log in to your account, from the list select which country server you want to use, job done. 

Much appreciated!  ????

On 9/24/2022 at 11:07 PM, HauptmannUK said:

A 'smart' TV can connect to the internet and, depending on age and specification, may have certain common apps built in (e.g. Netflix, Amazon video, web browser etc).  However you will usually gain a lot by adding an Android box.  They are not expensive and can be found in IT malls and on Shopee, Lazada etc...

e.g. https://s.lazada.co.th/s.7Z7lx

Thanks very much , I will look at this

10 minutes ago, gimo said:

Thanks very much , I will look at this

Don't bother. The specification is almost certainly a fabrication. I would guess 2 GB of RAM with 16 GB of storage, as opposed to the fabricated 8 GB/128 GB. The poster recommending should know better.

Edited by Bruno123

10 minutes ago, gimo said:

So , this looks like a VPN and an android box are one and the same ??

NO. Not even close. 

Problem is that people hijack the thread for their own purpose and your request is all but forgotten.

Edited by Bruno123