Re-entry permit or not?

26 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Immigration, anno 2022, has still no clue what happens with your Visa or whatever you have been doing.
This year in my Visa extension, the officer noted that all my extensions were "Non-Imm" or "Retirement" and she wanted to see which type of Visa was in my passport when I first entered Thailand

First up your non O visa cannot be extended. Visas are not extended. 

The permission of stay from that visa can be extended.

Very different and something you don't understand. 

The information from your original non O visa would have been transferred in first page of new passport.

You don't have a visa.

It was "used" long ago.

You have extentions based on a non O.

In order to protect that extension if you exit Thailand you require a reentry permit.

Damn lucky that Thailand provides that option.

Next month I go to Vietnam with single entry tourist visa. Currently multi entry visa not available. 

I cannot obtain a reentry permit so it's a single use gig.

As far as the io wanting to see the original non O visa, that is possible.

I suggest folk keep their passports or at very least take photocopy of the original non O visa. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

But I strongly disagree in the first part.
Immigration, anno 2022, has still no clue what happens with your Visa or whatever you have been doing.
This year in my Visa extension, the officer noted that all my extensions were "Non-Imm" or "Retirement" and she wanted to see which type of Visa was in my passport when I first entered Thailand.

Immigration's system should contain a complete record of all entries and departures from Thailand, back for many years, together with the type of visa used. In addition, it should have details of all extensions, re-entry permits, and any "conversion" visas you have received from Immigration in Thailand. (There will not be full details of visas issued by embassies/consulates abroad, but that should not be needed. Only the type which is noted on your entry record.)

Why they asked to see your visa was unclear. Maybe, when data was transferred from your old passport to new passport, the official omitted to note the type of visa on which your original extension was based. They might just have wanted to double check that information in Immigration's computer system was correct.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:11 AM, Shannoblic said:

May I ask how I could get a re-entry permit at Suvarnabhumi as I go through the Fast Track lane [over 70] - queuing at the 'normal' lane seems to be defeating the object of being a senior citizen with Fast Track privilege?

I didn't know that over 70's can use the Fast Track Lane. Thanks for the tip as I'm fast approaching that dreaded number.

Edited by Coota
More added.

As a regular here on Retirement visa, I make a point of getting a Re-Entry permit when mu annual extension is granted.  Not a big deal, a single from to fill in and about 5 min for I/O to process.  Maybe I do not use it, so far always have, and an insurance in case I have to leave in a hurry for an emergency in UK.  Cost in not prohibitive.

To answer DR. Jack's question;  I came in on no visa 30 day last month, as Ret. visa had expired when I was in UK.

No problems a SVB and at local I/O, I asked to change this 30 day entry to Non O.  Again no problems, but had to get bank statement as if retirement ext., and I was charged 2000 Baht visa fee, with receipt, and 8,000 Baht for "services" no receipt.  had to go back to IO when original 30 expired and get new Non O stamped in my passport.  No charge.  Now waiting for the last 30 days of the Non O to do the usual retirement extension. Told that I will need another bank statement.

In all, I think easier than getting a Non O at RTE London.

I agree that making these 365 day visas multiple entry would be sensible, or logical. but these are not adjectives that normally apply to Thailand Immigration.

Do not knock Retirement visas, they aare eaasy ways for some of us to live in LOS.  Thanks Taksin.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Robin said:

To answer DR. Jack's question;

I don't have any questions.

As for your account of entering thailand visa exempt and then obtaining non O based on retirement and subsequent 12 extension...

That is a common pathway and outlined in many threads.

No need for you to have paid 8000baht. 

The non O is 2k and extension 1900baht.

No need to obtain reentry permit when you do your extension for "just in case reasons" ....

Reentry permit is available at airport at time of departure.

Quick simple process.

1000 single reentry permit and 3800 multiple. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I got the re-entry permit at CW, 3800baht, I will probably fly out 3 or 4 times this year so it won't be materially different price wise having vs not having.

That said, the re-entry permit was the slowest part at CW, which added an hour nearly of waiting around to the visit of collecting my non-imm O stamp, I think next year I'll just skip it for 3-4 x 20mins at swampy instead..

2 hours ago, Robin said:

I came in on no visa 30 day last month, as Ret. visa had expired when I was in UK.

No problems a SVB and at local I/O, I asked to change this 30 day entry to Non O.  Again no problems, but had to get bank statement as if retirement ext., and I was charged 2000 Baht visa fee, with receipt, and 8,000 Baht for "services" no receipt.  had to go back to IO when original 30 expired and get new Non O stamped in my passport.  No charge.  Now waiting for the last 30 days of the Non O to do the usual retirement extension. 

Unusual report, I did the same ( entry on 30 day visa exempt and apply for O visa )this month and the cost is 2,000 baht. No bank statement required only the bank letter .

I wonder if the 800k baht wasn’t in the bank on this day so the 8,000 baht “ service “ money was to cover that ?

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

1) do not try your luck, chances that this idea goes South is ...............
2) TM6 (arrival/departure card) is still very much a piece of mandatory paper, UNLESS you enter and leave by air. If a border crossing happens overland (or possibly by ship for argument's sake) then the TM6 form is required. I do frequent crossings in Laos and they insist on TM6; another not quite coordinated handling of a government form ???? 

On 9/24/2022 at 11:56 PM, soi3eddie said:

Only if it's a multi entry visa and you re-enter before the expiry of the visa.

Exactly. As far as I know all other visa types obtained outside Thailand can only be used once to enter Thailand within that visa's validity. Entry cancels it in return for the permission to stay stamp of x days. That permission can be extended but leaving the country will cancel it without a re entry permit, single or multiple, obtained before departure either at your nearest Immigration Office or at Suvarnabhumi airport. It does not extend your permitted stay, merely keeps it alive. The permit is not a huge hassle to obtain, nor is there much paperwork. Much easier than starting all over if your existing permission to stay has many months left on it unless you will be out of Thailand when your existing permission expires.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, mnomad said:

I think next year I'll just skip it for 3-4 x 20mins at swampy instead..

You also have the option of 1 x 20 mins at the airport if you prefer a multiple (saving space in your passport if you really travel frequently).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BritTim said:

You also have the option of 1 x 20 mins at the airport if you prefer a multiple (saving space in your passport if you really travel frequently).

You can get the multiple at the airport? I never knew this, that would be much easier

"  8,000 Baht for "services" no receipt

Which immigration office demanded the 8,000 baht bribe? Can you think of any irregularity in your application that might have justified it?"

Phayao Immigration office.

I recall that I was told when I applied for Non O, that there would be a charge, but not specified.

As far as I know, my application was in order, and money in the bank as required.

The 'Service" might have been that I/O gave me list of documents needed from my bank, (usual confirmation letter and copies of bank book statements, 200 Baht from Kasikorn)

When i returned to Immigration, all the relevant from had already been completed by I/O.  I signed and gave her new photos, and was given appt. to come back and collect my Non O, which I now have.

Receipt given for 2000bahr for visa.

Previously, years ago, Phayao Immigration charged me 2000 Baht for 90 day report "to help them"

By Thai immigration standards, they are generally polite and helpful.

Thy do not appear to be very busy, so I do not want to stand out as a trouble-making Farang.

To be honest, the 8000 baht was cheaper and easier than getting Non O from RTE London, or using an agent to do the same.

On 9/25/2022 at 4:34 AM, Mike Teavee said:

It's obvious why we currently need re-entry permits, but I'm reading the OP as more... "What's the point (for Thailand) to having Re-Entry Permits"

Why not just make all Visas multi-entry for the duration of their validity & make Extensions to permission to stay automatically "Multi-Entry" rather than getting an Extension stamp in your passport & then immediately replacing it with a re-entry permit. 

Waste of time, money & passport pages. 

And if it is just about the money, then simply add a small amount to the price to every extension. 

What's the point of 90 day reporting for foreigners who have lived here for years? What's the point of requiring insurance for O-A visas, and not for O?

Bureaucracies of all types flourish on complexity, they shrink when things are simplified.

You're being logical, Thai administrations apply a different logic. It's called full employment, doesn't matter if the work is meaningless.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Robin said:

To be honest, the 8000 baht was cheaper and easier than getting Non O from RTE London, or using an agent to do the same.

You could have filled in the TM7 along with acknowledgement forms yourself.

Immigration must laugh at folk that accept charge of 8000baht to fill in simple form. 

2 hours ago, Robin said:

"  8,000 Baht for "services" no receipt

Which immigration office demanded the 8,000 baht bribe? Can you think of any irregularity in your application that might have justified it?"

Phayao Immigration office.

I recall that I was told when I applied for Non O, that there would be a charge, but not specified.

As far as I know, my application was in order, and money in the bank as required.

Previously, years ago, Phayao Immigration charged me 2000 Baht for 90 day report "to help them"

By Thai immigration standards, they are generally polite and helpful.

I imagine they are polite and helpful !, they received 10k from you alone !!

Probably not so polite and helpful to those who dispute the charges ………. as they rightly should.