Financial responsibility of a Schengen visa sponsor

What are the Schengen visa sponsor requirements, specifically financial requirements? I want to sponsor a Lao passport holder for a Schengen visa to visit Slovenia (lowest rejection rate) for one week. How much the sponsor is responsible if the person becomes illegal by not leaving the Schengen area? I have a US passport sponsoring a Lao passport holder for a Schengen visa. The budget is 10K USD. The goal is to travel from Slovenia to Paris and the the person being sponsored has a high possibility of being lost in Paris Lao community. 

Edited by Onerak

Conditions for sponsors
Sponsors must live in the Schengen member country for which the visitor visa is sought
For Slovakia, sponsors must have a Slovak ID (Občiansky Preukaz)

Sponsors must earn the minimum wage gross income
Couples acting as sponsors must jointly earn the minimum wage
You must also complete a proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation form

Schengen visa rules are uniform so you can expect identical sponsorship requirements EU-wide.

If you are accepted as a sponsor, you will be required to submit certain guarantees that must be properly attested to by a notary public. Consequences of the visa holder failing to abide by the visa's conditions or absconding after the visa lapses would be financially testing for you. Among them are the cost of repatriation of the visa holder (if located) and blacklisting your particulars which effectively prevents you from ever sponsoring another third country national for a Schengen visa. In the event of the visa holder "vanishing" in Slovakia or anywhere in the EU, authorities will first focus on you, the sponsor, and will assume your involvement in the disappearance.

• Like 1

With a US passport, you will most likely not be able to sponsor a Visa, as the "issue" for the Schengen immigration will be your lack of accessible assets to block in case, the Visa applicant decides to "run".
I know for a fact, that German Visa sponsors must guarantee 50K EUR, and the guarantee remains in place for 5 years!

6 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

Conditions for sponsors
Sponsors must live in the Schengen member country for which the visitor visa is sought

I think that is incorrect, maybe you mean "must be a citizen of the member country"?

I don't live in the Schengen Member country any more, I live in Thailand, but I have sponsored my wife every time when we (she) applied for a Visa at the Embassy / VFS and this was always accepted.

As I don't have a house there any more, I have friends guarantee (sponsor) the accommodation, and the first time my wife applied for the visa the girl interviewing her said "ooh you have 2 boyfriends" because she saw 2 guarantee (sponsor) entries ????

Edited by MJCM