Intelligent conversation.!!!

The Theory

40 minutes ago, The Theory said:

International politics or world news is a big zero????. ฿ , relatives, neighbors  are main interesting subjects.

Most weekends at the expat watering hole.????

I cannot change International politics or world news. Conversations about the world at large? OK.

My Mrs is a Masters Grad from Thammarsat....  plenty of intelligent conversation, but there are a lot of things she is not versed in.... Just as there is plenty I am not versed in that she knows about. 

I had an interesting discussion recently with one of her friends Husbands... the feedback a few days later was interesting.... I was not like ‘normal farangs’ who are over opinionated but stupid !!... 

The reality is though, this guy is a very well off businessman and doesn’t actually have much exposure to foreigners, so I’m not sure how he got the ‘over opinionated and stupid’ from... perhaps from one of his friends etc... 

The point I want to make is...   This thread can easily turn into a Thai bash... there are plenty of intelligent and educated people out there.. but they may not be in the same bar as you... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

You're simply in the wrong country if you're looking for someone to stimulate you intellectually. I find Thailand amazing because it has taught me to think less and enjoy the moment more, which has made me a whole lot happier.

I partially agree.....    Thailand is certainly a place were we can learn not to worry about the things we cannot change and therefore live a generally happier existence. 

That said, there are plenty of intelligent, educated, knowledgable people with whom we can have an in depth conversation...  but how many expats are exposed to Thai’s of an equal socio-economic-educational  level with whom such discussions can take place ?...   

We can’t expect to have an intellectually stimulating conversation with someone who works at a 7-11 in Thailand, neither could we expect the same of someone who works in a Spar or Tescos supermarket in our home country.

Neither is it likely that we’ll bump into someone in a coffee shop and have a stimulating conversation, people are reserved about meeting strangers, so these types of relationships where we can discuss many subjects come with the evolution of a friendship and those friendships usually evolve from ‘introduction’... friend of a friend type thing.

Thus, the level of conversation is often dependant on the ‘level’ of the person we meet.

I’ve had conversations with Thai guys where I am well out of my depth (economics wizzes).

I’ve have plenty of conversations with other foreigners in Thailand who are quite frankly, dumb, meanwhile others are highly intelligent and interesting.....  

As always, mileage varies - I think much of it depends where and how we put ourselves out there. 

• Like 2

Sounds like debate on this forum, i reply to someone who's probably around 74, no idea about the subject that i am passionate about, yet then replies with your in la la land or someone generic insult, offering nothing to the discussion thus killing the topic.

I feel your pain.

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I know more about international politics than my neighbors. But is that really important?

I.e. I am able to discuss Trump and Biden and Boris and Putin and the war in Ukraine, etc. 

And then? Can I change anything related to international politics? No! I can talk about is all day and my talking won't change even 0.0001%.

Now let's look at my gf: She doesn't care about international politics. She cares little about Thai national politics. But she knows the village head of her village. She also knows the neighbors in her village (which she visits every couple of weeks). She also talks with the hairdresser, laundry lady, the maids and some other women in my condominium. In fact, if I want to know what is going on in my building, I ask her. Maybe she doesn't know all the details, but she knows for sure a lot more than I know and then I would be able to officially find out.

Now should I look down on my gf and all those other Thai girls who don't care about international politics?

Agree entirely. My GF is very street-smart, and I am amazed at her ability to make friends with someone within 5 minutes of meeting them.

She can't read a map, or add up numbers in her head. Simple mechanical problems are left to me to resolve.

IMO it's a mistake to think because Westerners have better abilities in some fields, Thais do not have their own skills in others.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

You have to remember that international politics and world news are completely irrelevant to the vast majority of Thai folk.

They don't realize there is a whole other world outside of Thailand's borders.

International politics and world news do not construct the basis for an intelligent conversation. Many a good conversation can had about Thailand or just looking at the stars and discussing the universe.

I must admit though i'm struggling for great conversations with Thai people, probably only met 2 in my whole time and yes they were educated and had lived abroad but we certainly never discussed politics. (Thats pretty low bar for discusion imo)

Certainly farm or northwestern Issan girls have never engaged me mentally, other than to wonder whats going through their head sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 1