Intelligent conversation.!!!

The Theory

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

and maybe, really, they are no worse for it.. most of us know where it is, but aren't they generally happier than most of us? 

I think the average middle class Thai is happier than westerners. 

1 they live day by day

2 they arent obsessed with history or trivia outside their circle of life

I have known Thais for 20 years. They have a more steady sense of fun. Farangs are up and down. Very good or very bad. Buddhism teaches more mid level approach to life.

Something is only good or bad if you place feelings on it.

Some personal attacks have been removed:

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

48 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I think the average middle class Thai is happier than westerners. 

1 they live day by day

2 they arent obsessed with history or trivia outside their circle of life

Isn't this because middle class Thais do not really have the same lifestyle as middle class foreigners?

Most middle class people in Western countries essentially prop up the other two classes through their consumption and their taxes, I'm not sure that the same can be said for Thai middle class.

Middle class Thais are surely a lot wealthier, relatively speaking, than foreigners, when compared to their fellow Thais.

19 minutes ago, steven100 said:

garbage .... I've never met an honest Thai yet in 20 yrs.  .... Lol 

They pretend to practice Buddhism  .......   that's the truth  !! 

Thats a bit sad. Maybe you mix with the wrong ones.

If you havent met one good person in 20 years I don't know who you are talking to.

Some practice buddhism more than others. Same with christians.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Isn't this because middle class Thais do not really have the same lifestyle as middle class foreigners?

Most middle class people in Western countries essentially prop up the other two classes through their consumption and their taxes, I'm not sure that the same can be said for Thai middle class.

Middle class Thais are surely a lot wealthier, relatively speaking, than foreigners, when compared to their fellow Thais.

Thai society has more fun in it. Thats why farangs go there.

Christian countries teach good/bad. Guilt etc

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Thats a bit sad. Maybe you mix with the wrong ones.

If you havent met one good person in 20 years I don't know who you are talking to.

Some practice buddhism more than others. Same with christians.

yeah ....  some are solely devoted I guess ....

but where I'm coming from they all pray at the tree and temple and concrete blocks and the chicken coop and wherever .....   but they would rip you off as soon as possible .... Lol 

I have proof of that .....  that's for sure ....

it's a joke .....     Buddism is being straight and honest and caring .....      

sorry to rain on your parade but i'm just saying ....     

20 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Thai society has more fun in it. Thats why farangs go there.

That's why they go for holidays, sure, but most middle class foreigners who work would probably opt to live in their home countries to do so.

20 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Christian countries teach good/bad. Guilt etc

No doubt this helps with the fun and relaxation, but there are probably many middle class Thais who would work in a Western country if they could.

It's swings and roundabouts really, as, while "don't worry about anything and just have fun" is good for a holiday, it can actually be infuriating for people that want to get work done.

I think you might be a tad confused between "holiday Thailand" and "working Thailand".

In terms of the comment I was replying to originally, I don't disagree with the notion that Thailand is more "fun" than many Western countries, I just don't think that that alone would explain why a middle class Thai might be happier than a middle class Westerner.

Edited by BangkokReady

12 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

That's why they go for holidays, sure, but most middle class foreigners who work would probably opt to live in their home countries to do so.

No doubt this helps with the fun and relaxation, but there are probably many middle class Thais who would work in a Western country if they could.

It's swings and roundabouts really, as, while "don't worry about anything and just have fun" is good for a holiday, it can actually be infuriating for people that want to get work done.

I think you might be a tad confused between "holiday Thailand" and "working Thailand".

In terms of the comment I was replying to originally, I don't disagree with the notion that Thailand is more "fun" than many Western countries, I just don't think that that alone would explain why a middle class Thai might be happier than a middle class Westerner.

Work is better in west. But fun no.

29 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yeah ....  some are solely devoted I guess ....

but where I'm coming from they all pray at the tree and temple and concrete blocks and the chicken coop and wherever .....   but they would rip you off as soon as possible .... Lol 

I have proof of that .....  that's for sure ....

it's a joke .....     Buddism is being straight and honest and caring .....      

sorry to rain on your parade but i'm just saying ....     

Not my experience. Rip offs galore in the west. 85% of things are 50 to 300% higher in price.

Car rego $920.

Curry $15

3 star hotel $100+

$16 to park a car for 2 hours

If you hate Thais I dont know why you live there

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Not my experience. Rip offs galore in the west. 85% of things are 50 to 300% higher in price.

Car rego $920.

Curry $15

3 star hotel $100+

where did I say I hated Thais ?   I said that most who preach Buddhism do it falsely ... not true Buddhists imo.      if you don't know that then you haven't been around country Thailand as I have. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Car rego $920.

Curry $15

3 star hotel $100+

but your rip offs are from companies ..... not individuals,  not lairs, cheat, thiefs ....  get my drift. 

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I think the average middle class Thai is happier than westerners

I think poor Thais are happier than most Westerners. They live with less but less stress too. I remember seeing a survey that talked about Norway, Finland etc being the happiest countries - but the cited education levels and medical care - they really didn't talk about happiness. 

At the time I was in Hua Hin - the Skandis were on vacation walking around stone faced - and the Thai motorcycle taxi drivers who had nothing were laughing and playing with each other - having fun. 

On 9/27/2022 at 12:49 PM, LaosLover said:

What's better:

Read some books on Akha tribe people or have a genial short discussion with one of them?

Akha interest me - though I know a lot more Lisu people. My Akha friend and I have a several year friendship with her and it is fascinating to me... 

Well I wish the OP well. If he's not happy in the relationship then he shouldn't stay in it for the rest of his life. Better for him and her. 

My wife is rather the opposite. She wants to discuss everything, and like another poster said, women like that don't let things go. It's like a competition. Most of her friends also have PhD's from western universities and are single, voicing that men are intimidated by them. 

If I do move on in the future, I'd probably prefer to stay single, and therefore free. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I think poor Thais are happier than most Westerners. They live with less but less stress too. I remember seeing a survey that talked about Norway, Finland etc being the happiest countries - but the cited education levels and medical care - they really didn't talk about happiness. 

At the time I was in Hua Hin - the Skandis were on vacation walking around stone faced - and the Thai motorcycle taxi drivers who had nothing were laughing and playing with each other - having fun. 

True

36 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Lol .....  so you think they're all loyal Buddhists and loving & caring and honest folk.

you really are naive and misguided,  you need to get out more.  ????

No he thinks some are good, some are bad.

You said 100% bad. You need to get out more. If you think all others are bad something is wrong with your perceptions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I think you're missing  ........... Cold climate = unhappy people.

• Thanks 1