Myanmar beauty queen granted asylum in Canada

webfact

13 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

If that's what you believe the moral of the story is I can't help thinking you haven't got the foggiest about what morality means.

Your little lecture is flawed because you don't understand the two different concepts represented by a

story's moral (ie a lesson) and morality.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

General Zaw Min Tun had said that cooperation of neighbouring countries and Interpol has been requested by arresting “fugitives” with warrants issued for them.

Free speech makes you a fugitive... we may see a few of those in Thailand soon.

Constitutional court decision on Prayuts term in office and the upcoming election.

Sorry to say: I wish I could confirm this story but I could not find a single item in Canadian news media about the offer of asylum, using Google and Duckduckgo. I'm in Toronto now.

Absolutely nothing, including nothing on the Embassy of Canada to Thailand FB page and nothing in The Toronto Star, which is always on top of refugee/immigration issues. I sure hope the local SEA news outlets are right.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
More details

11 hours ago, Robsweblinks said:

You must be living in a different country,  Trudeau has <deleted> it up. Check out stats on how many people are leaving. He's a narcissist who likes how China is run in his own words.

3 elections, the people have spoken.   

11 hours ago, pegman said:

Nope, no Nazis there, 555

That's completely misleading. The guy that walked around with that flag was a misguided fool who did it ironically to try to show how Canada was turning into a fascist state. He was quickly driven away. If you are trying to say that the truckers would accept actual Nazis joining their protest, you're deluded, dishonest or just plain ignorant. 

1 hour ago, edogthong said:

That's completely misleading. The guy that walked around with that flag was a misguided fool who did it ironically to try to show how Canada was turning into a fascist state. He was quickly driven away. If you are trying to say that the truckers would accept actual Nazis joining their protest, you're deluded, dishonest or just plain ignorant. 

The February 17 ITAC report shows the organization was, in fact, “aware of known IMVE extremists who have participated in protests and blockades across Canada.”

“Violent extremists who support or are attending the protests include a range of IMVE adherents including white nationalists, accelerationists, separatists, radical libertarians, conspiracy theorists and others who justify violence to achieve ideological objectives.”

ITAC was also particularly concerned about individuals affiliated with “QAnon and Diagolon,” noting that the presence of “key individuals” and “influencers” on the ground in Ottawa was “indicative of a much larger attendance at convoy protests by IMVE adherents over recent weeks.”
https://pressprogress.ca/ottawa-convoy-helped-violent-extremist-groups-grow-canadian-counterterrorism-report-warned/

When Alberta RCMP released images of the weapons and tactical gear seized from a group that took part in the Coutts, Alta., border blockade, the pictures showed patches displaying a white diagonal line on a black background -- the calling card of the Diagolon far-right extremist group.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-is-the-diagolon-extremist-group-and-what-does-it-want-1.5785646

Ottawa City Councilor Matthew Luloff told Morning Edition that hate symbols and acutely anti-Semitic writing have been seen at the rallies. Along with Canadian flags, some protestors have also been showing off U.S. Confederate flags and swastikas.

"Some of the most well-known radicals in this country have now descended upon the capital. Some of them are calling for violence. Some of them are threatening individual politicians," said Luloff.

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/10/1079842220/ottawa-trucker-convoy-protest

Regular normal truckers kept working throughout the protest, right wing extremists with trucks, affiliated with various hate groups are the ones that kept the capital city prisoner and locked down international trade at the border. This ridiculous stunt of theirs cost tax payers hundreds of million dollars. Class action lawsuits are in progress, leaders locked up. IT WAS A COUP! read the MOU presented on the first day of protest. They wanted to overthrow the govt! Maybe thats ok in your home country, not ok in mine. 

On 9/27/2022 at 10:03 PM, Donga said:

Think many posters are missing the point that Thailand quietly assisted the lady to gain asylum, rather than return her to Myanmar, as their leader requested. 

Good to see some give kudos to Thailand, in contrast to knee jerk Thai bashing. 

I will retract my earlier comment - yes I have since read that Thailand did the decent thing. What a relief - it's far more preferable to praise than to bash that country, believe me. I suspect they are not able to become an open door to refugees fleeing Myanmar? At least state their position on the atrocities however, if that is indeed the case.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 8:26 PM, Arthur Mullard said:

Thank God someone has called out Thailand. What a morally perverse country. Unless anyone can explain their position on human rights in this matter further? If the woman has extended family... God help them. The stuff circulating online is not for the faint-hearted. It needs to be seen though by all.

Comment retracted ????

• Like 1