Thailand legalizes abortion for women who are up to 20-weeks pregnant effective Oct. 26

webfact

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thailand is a deeply buddhist country that doesn't tolerate all kinds of immoralities. I fail to see how this buddhist country could get behind 20 week abortions.

To answer my own question I think this is a matter of bread and circuses. The government fears loosing control so they're tossing the  peasants  red meat. Smoke weed and bang sluts without consequence, just don't turn your anger towards us.

"deeply buddhist country"  sound like something one might read in a TAT advert.  The reality is far from the image they try to project , You only have to watch the news to realise that 

They have probably realised how many single mothers there are out there , most of them getting no assistance from the kids father. this is a way of dealing with the problem, seems fair enough but can't help thinking it would be less unpleasant to take a birth control pill or get an implant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I think that's the key point. I would be very surprised if they allow women to use abortion as birth control like they do in the US.

This law is nothing to do with that, your using a strawman argument.

In the US only 1% of all abortions were carried out after 20 weeks. It is only done because of medical reasons and that should be obvious to you with the requirement of a doctors approval.

In 2019, 93% of abortions occurred during the first trimester – that is, at or before 13 weeks of gestation, according to the CDC. An additional 6% occurred between 14 and 20 weeks of pregnancy, and 1% were performed at 21 weeks or more of gestation

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

In the US only 1% of all abortions were carried out after 20 weeks. It is only done because of medical reasons and that should be obvious to you with the requirement of a doctors approval.

Interesting, so once you've legalized even 3 weeks without 3rd party consent you've basically legalized abortion as birth control. I know it's somewhere in the 90% range of abortions in the US are in cases where the fetus isn't threatening the lives of the mother.

Anyways, the level of abortion is up to the Thai's I guess and how much they value family and children.

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thailand is a deeply buddhist country that doesn't tolerate all kinds of immoralities. I fail to see how this buddhist country could get behind 20 week abortions.

I'm curious how long you have been in Thailand. 

Thailand is long accustomed to cultural hypocrisy, or living a double life--whatever you want to term it.  For example, the women who work in the sex trade are said to leave their hometowns to work in the big city, and people know better than to ask too many questions.  Don't ask, don't tell.  When the women return, they rejoin the village as if they had never gone--and no one asks.  At the brothel, there are special coverings at the ready to hide the vehicle which parks there from the view of passersby--to save face for the john.  The general attitude is: "it's not wrong unless you're caught."

I caught one of my students cheating one time.  She pointed to her paper, compared it to her friend's which had the same answers, and asked why she'd gotten a zero while her friend had a good score.  I pointed to the "Form A" and "Form B" neatly typed on the bottom of the pages, and she immediately caught on.  I'll never forget the look of recognition that crossed her face at that moment, followed by her saying "Teacher, bad...bad."  (Her English was not so good, but she was confessing her wrong.)  She had been caught, and she knew it. 

Abortions, because of the motivation to hide both the abortion and the illicit relationship that led to it, will be among those things which Thai people would naturally tend to consider in that category of "it's not wrong unless you're caught."  At least, that is my understanding.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

"deeply buddhist country"  sound like something one might read in a TAT advert.  The reality is far from the image they try to project , You only have to watch the news to realise that 

That's how I perceive it. Can't  drive 5 minutes without seeing a temple. Find me a Thai persons house that doesn't have pictures of monks and shrines also. It's a deeply Buddhist country we're living in here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I'm curious how long you have been in Thailand. 

Long enough to know they're deeply buddhist (see my reply before this).

1 minute ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Thailand is long accustomed to cultural hypocrisy,

Fair enough but that doesn't mean they're not buddhists. I'm not saying Thai's are moral or good people even, just that they're deeply buddhist and abortion flies in the face of their beliefs. If people are getting abortions it's going to be very secret and avoided at all cost. 

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

Fair enough but that doesn't mean they're not buddhists. I'm not saying Thai's are moral or good people even, just that they're deeply buddhist and abortion flies in the face of their beliefs. If people are getting abortions it's going to be very secret and avoided at all cost. 

Its been legal up to 12 weeks for over a year.

5 hours ago, 2baht said:

Won't they (American women)  just go to the backyard guy with the coat hanger? That's obviously what the govt is forcing them to do with their draconian laws!

Please get it right … governments in Republican majority states. More enlightened states leave medical decisions up to patients and Doctors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

LMAO you need therapy for PTS from your cult,   

I'm not a Christian but I'm not a Liberal either. Get preprared to be replaced by the cult Boomer. Maybe if you spent less time promoting abortion and more time promoting families and children this could have been avoided.

This has been my stance dealing with this concern as an American. Bottom line for me? Should I and my significant other be faced with this decision, I would not recognize any law, regulation, disapproval by the right wing demanding that we carry to term, deliver, care for and bear the emotional/financial burden of raising a genetically damaged being. Fortunately, I would have the financial resources to seek medical care in an enlightened country. Foolish to follow an absolute stance, based on personal religious beliefs (and trying to force those beliefs on others), and yet refuse to have social systems in place to care (emotionally and financially) for those who choose not to abort.

Just now, NorthernRyland said:

I'm not a Christian but I'm not a Liberal either. Get preprared to be replaced by the cult Boomer. Maybe if you spent less time promoting abortion and more time promoting families and children this could have been avoided.

Please show me where I personally supporting abortion. It is not my choice it is the woman's especially in a country where fathers leave often.   

18 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

That's the whole point abortions are supposed to take place in secret, its not supposed to be a public matter, nobody's belief in an imaginary being should have any  bearing on other peoples private medical business. That is between the patient and the doctor

There are plenty of things happening here every day that "fly in the face" of buddhist teachings!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

It will always be up to each state period.  It's surprising all the comments about the USA but most countries in Europe have more strict time frames for being able to have one including France for example.  But of course no mention of that on this thread by all men. 

The problem is that the people who want to leave abortion up to the states are the same people (or their descendants) who wanted to leave civil rights up to the states. That’s why the Roe v Wade ruling was necessary in the first place.

26 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I would imagine that most women avoid abortions unless they have no other choice, I doubt very much if its used as a primary form of birth control anywhere by anybody

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is not talked about but young girls  seem to have many babies in school or just out of school.So making it legal to abort the  babies would be a good idea.But the family decides really,my friend got into the club hoping to keep the farang father did not happen and now the child is about 12 .I don,t know if she decided to keep it or abort when it happened but she chose to bring it up and provide for the child with the family involved

Kudos Thailand I wish we had the same freedom here in the states if the lady’s decide that’s the best decision in their particular situation .that beeing said it’s a sad decision all around no matter how you feel about it 

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

Interesting, so once you've legalized even 3 weeks without 3rd party consent you've basically legalized abortion as birth control. I know it's somewhere in the 90% range of abortions in the US are in cases where the fetus isn't threatening the lives of the mother.

Anyways, the level of abortion is up to the Thai's I guess and how much they value family and children.

There's the morning after pill , which can be taken up to about 5 days after sex, there's also an actual abortion pill which can be taken up to 11 months so there are many options available . There are many other valid  reasons for terminating a pregnancy other than threats to the life of the mother

The fact that somebody chooses to do so does not imply that they don't value family  or children 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Lesson for liberals: societies that kill their children will be replaced by people that don't. It may take 100 years but America will be repopulated with religious traditional peoples since they're the only group with actual replacement levels of fertility.

Cult or not the future belongs to those that show up for it and that's not the Liberal West.

Yes...it's scary that the intelligent and hard working humans have fewer children then the lower IQ and often poor / criminal or mentally ill people.

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Not sure about America  , but  there is no shortage of fertility on the average council estate in the UK however the offspring from these people do not come from the best of "stock" and are unlikely to make any positive contribution to society

Who the future belongs to has little to do with abortions, and more to do with uncontrolled breeding on behalf of the "religions of peace"  please note the use of the plural before accusing me of being nothing but islamophobic,  I actually hate all religions equally

Same with the Bible belt or inbred rural Christians in America ...many children.

You can even see the missionary families over here in Thailand, anemic looking couples with a broods of half a dozen blond white kids born one after the other 

They always remind me of the kids from the horror film, 'children of the corn'. 

• Thanks 2