Thailand legalizes abortion for women who are up to 20-weeks pregnant effective Oct. 26

webfact

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

Won't they (American women)  just go to the backyard guy with the coat hanger? That's obviously what the govt is forcing them to do with their draconian laws!

I am not from the USA so I don't know how things work there but I thought that some states allow abortion...is that correct? If so would it be less expensive for a US woman to go to one of those? Or are there residence (and/or other reasons) procedures that might make it very inconvenient or impossible?

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

More liberal and progressive moves by the government.  Thailand you are (pleasantly) surprising me!  Keep it up........and may your next liberalisation be the removal of the 2pm-5pm alcohol ban.

You were doing so well, until the last line! 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

You were doing so well, until the last line! 

Why?  It was a partly tongue in cheek post, but is a pointless law that serves no purpose other than to inconvenience people.  I have a proper job, I am not hanging out for a 7-Eleven beer at 2pm, it's just a silly inconvenient rule that should be abolished.

90 day reporting too.  Is that better?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

Won't they (American women)  just go to the backyard guy with the coat hanger? That's obviously what the govt is forcing them to do with their draconian laws!

They can go to the majority of states with free transport and what you just described is complete utter drama.  Just my 2 bahts worth. 

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

I think reading facts rather than hype. Depending on state termination is between 17 and 24 weeks depending on state and under certain medical circumstances much later. You can also travel to a different state. I could say a lot more as was stated by certain senator's that it was OK to about a new born baby!!!

Nearly half the states in the U.S. have either enacted a ban on abortion or are expected to shortly.

In many states, abortion is already banned even in cases of rape and incest.

Now, the senior senator from South Carolina, Lindsey Graham, has proposed a national ban on abortion with criminal penalties put on doctors if they violate the ban. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Depends on which state you live in and how far along you are in the pregnancy. Also, the same Christo-fascist whack jobs whose crusade to overturn the Roe v Wade Supreme Court ruling finally succeeded are now pushing for a national ban on abortion.

It will always be up to each state period.  It's surprising all the comments about the USA but most countries in Europe have more strict time frames for being able to have one including France for example.  But of course no mention of that on this thread by all men. 

Edited by alex8912

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

Maybe soon coming METOO campaign where womans want men delivery babys also!

Western problem is that woman dont want to be woman anymore! 

If ever there was a post that deserved the negative emojis coming back, this is it.

So "women should be women" and plop a baby out no matter what the circumstances?

And they want men to deliver them too?  Eh??  Actually it seems you think men should decide what is best for women.  Right?  By capitalising "Me Too" it is obviously where your thinking is.  A total misogynist, loud and clear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Nearly half the states in the U.S. have either enacted a ban on abortion or are expected to shortly.

In many states, abortion is already banned even in cases of rape and incest.

Now, the senior senator from South Carolina, Lindsey Graham, has proposed a national ban on abortion with criminal penalties put on doctors if they violate the ban. 

Not 1/2. What are you using as a source? What EXACT restrictions do you mean? No abortion at 28 or 32 weeks?  What about the many countries in Europe that have some restrictions? 
anyone will be able to come to Massachusetts and MANY other states to get an abortion if they want.  Stop the mongering. 

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Technically speaking, the age at which a person is first counted in the Bible is 30 days--so I see a little bit of room for a "viability period" here.  During its first days of life, a newborn quickly learns to express selfishness.  Newborns do not like to cry without a reason--but they soon learn that doing so gets them some attention, and the cry later morphs into a tantrum if they aren't getting what they want.  Beyond these observations, I am thankful not to be the Judge who decides.  I'm just theorizing.  However, we know that the sins of the parents get passed on to their children by their example, and who has perfect parents?

That's a pretty harsh God who punishes a baby for crying as a sinner.

50 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

If ever there was a post that deserved the negative emojis coming back, this is it.

So "women should be women" and plop a baby out no matter what the circumstances?

And they want men to deliver them too?  Eh??  Actually it seems you think men should decide what is best for women.  Right?  By capitalising "Me Too" it is obviously where your thinking is.  A total misogynist, loud and clear.

Yes woman should be woman! What other you want them be!? Im not say woman cant be equal whit men! Dont write your own thinking about somebody's txt! There read nothing what you say!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

That's a pretty harsh God who punishes a baby for crying as a sinner.

I hope you haven't deliberately chosen to distort my post.  Perhaps I was not sufficiently clear, for which I apologize.  It is not a sin to cry.  But I doubt you would think it's quite proper to throw a fit or a temper tantrum, would you?

I think, however, that we would probably both agree that an unborn fetus has not had opportunity to sin.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Why are the doing this now? The few Thai's I've spoken to about abortion are horrified by the idea and see it as a deranged thing to do. They won't even put their dogs down who have terminal cancer so why this push to abort fetus which are 5 months developed? I haven't seen polls but I seriously doubt this is popular.

Because they have had it banged into there heads by one of the many cults that like to control peoples minds and thoughts to make them do their bidding. 20 weeks is not 5 months

(all donations accepted cash or gold only)

Edited by brianthainess

4 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Thailand is emerging from the dark ages while the U.S. is heading back into them. Funny how the world works.

Unfortunately I feel that the US with its crass attitudes to womens rights and healthcare for it's citizens and poverty is effectively a 3rd world country with a 1st world economy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Here in my village, a bunch of M1, first year of high school, 13 yr old girls come over to visit the boys. They were going to school occasionally, now hardly ever. Laying around all day on the phones, sometimes kicking a ball around. Then the boys and girls go down by the rivers or ponds to do...something. They stay with the grandparents who are usually out on the farms. Parents are down in BKK working in factories. About the only thing raising them are their phones, dogs, and chickens.

Perfect description of Thai rednecks. I don't know these types of Thais too well so I'll take your word for it.

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

The feelings of the few Thais you have spoke to are irrelevant, as are the feelings of anybody else

Thailand is a deeply buddhist country that doesn't tolerate all kinds of immoralities. I fail to see how this buddhist country could get behind 20 week abortions.

To answer my own question I think this is a matter of bread and circuses. The government fears loosing control so they're tossing the  peasants  red meat. Smoke weed and bang sluts without consequence, just don't turn your anger towards us.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can't help thinking abortion and murder are the same thing.

They are exactly that , when a baby is 20 weeks. I’m not against freedom of choice for women or against abortion, but surely with birth control pills, the morning after pill, contraceptives and 12 weeks to decide if you want the baby, should be enough.

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thailand is a deeply buddhist country that doesn't tolerate all kinds of immoralities. I fail to see how this buddhist country could get behind 20 week abortions.

To answer my own question I think this is a matter of bread and circuses. The government fears loosing control so they're tossing the  peasants  red meat. Smoke weed and bang sluts without consequence, just don't turn your anger towards us.

20 week abortions are very rare but necassary for some women with medical problems, hence a doctor having to make an approval

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

20 week abortions are very rare but necassary for some women with medical problems, hence a doctor having to make an approval

I think that's the key point. I would be very surprised if they allow women to use abortion as birth control like they do in the US.

4 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Perhaps I'm one of those "religious nutters"...but I support legalization of abortion.  There is no gift of God, given to mankind, more sacred than freedom of choice.  In matters where the Bible does not prescribe a clear standard (e.g. no stealing, no adultery, no murder, etc.), it is proper to allow each one to take personal responsibility for such choices).  While I would not choose an abortion, unless medically necessary, I do not feel it is my place to make this choice for someone else.

Most of those who claim "abortion is murder" believe that this is the Bible's teaching.  It isn't.  In fact, all but one of the "abortion" texts in the Bible come out in favor of it.  Most people do not study carefully enough to see this.  If you search online in a KJV Bible, look for "untimely birth" and read all of those passages.  You will see that Job wished to have been one (an abortion).  You will see that King Solomon says it would be better for a man to have been an "untimely birth" than to have lived an evil life during which he fathered 100 children.  Wow. 

DEEPER THEOLOGY (For those interested)

The word "murder" in the Hebrew Bible comes from the word "ratsach" which is defined as the unlawful killing of a "soul" (Heb. "nephesh"--meaning a breathing creature).  The unborn hasn't yet taken its first breath.  It is not yet numbered as a person in the Bible, and not counted as a "soul" until after it is born and living independent of its mother.  Those who say life begins at conception are correct: it does.  But soulhood begins after birth, and it is of the soul that the Bible says "all have sinned."  If a zygote has a soul--how could it have sinned?  Without even a brain yet, it is not yet capable of having made a decision, much less a moral one.  Definitions are important.  An abortion is "killing" but it is not "murder" (and the KJV mistranslated "ratsach" as "kill" in the sixth commandment--most modern versions translate it correctly as "murder").

Imaginary quotes from imaginary friends, do you belief the world is 2022 yrs old ? 

do you speak with your imaginary friend ?  just another cult.  sorry .. 

5 minutes ago, GaWalker said:

They are exactly that , when a baby is 20 weeks. I’m not against freedom of choice for women or against abortion, but surely with birth control pills, the morning after pill, contraceptives and 12 weeks to decide if you want the baby, should be enough.

That's an important point. If you're in the camp of wanting to protect kids from making dumb choices that ruin their lives they don't need 20 weeks. As mentioned I think the doctors approval may stamp out any abuse but that's yet to be seen I suppose.