Thailand legalizes abortion for women who are up to 20-weeks pregnant effective Oct. 26

webfact

This will make up for everything else!!!

I've been to the clinics in Thailand.....everything is top notch.....oh, wait..... 

OK, I've been in many hospitals.....same same America.....oh wait...

well, anyhow when I read "Abortion" I assume facilities and doctors same same...

oh wait...

anyhow, whatever...... I'm not a woman!!! so great news, LOS Number 1 forever.....   

• Haha 1

I guess,  gambling,  Marijuana, why not abortion?

I'm in favor of choice I'm torn Today still remember when my son and now daughter in law during dinner told me the news I smiled but inside I was thinking abortion.

But when she came out and now four it is a whole new situation I think how I felt

while looking at her I feel guilty of my thoughts. 

• Like 1

Ok first I am surprised and happy that the PPP are in re election mode and finally doing something

BUT can someone please tell me when the u.s. banned abortions.  The Dobbs ruling made it a state issue because the federal government never made it law.   Many states are looking at 15 weeks yes some have banned it but it has ultimately been put to the people of each state to decide what is best for their state.

At no time was abortion banned nationality 

3 hours ago, peter zwart said:

And now we come to the point where America can learn from Thailand. Where America is dusting off 120-year-old laws, Thailand is making steps forward. The world is a funny place.

What might they learn? Abortion has been and continues to be legal in the US. 

Edited by mogandave
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What might they learn? Abortion has and continues to be legal in the US. 

Depends on which state you live in and how far along you are in the pregnancy. Also, the same Christo-fascist whack jobs whose crusade to overturn the Roe v Wade Supreme Court ruling finally succeeded are now pushing for a national ban on abortion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I tend to support abortion, but I think there are few reasons why a woman cannot make up her mind to go in that direction, in the first trimester. However, overall this is a positive sign for Thailand. For a nation which is generally moving backwards, between this and cannabis legalization, this more or less proves that even dinosaurs are capable of making smart decisions, occasionally. 

I agree with most of your well written posts Mike but this time I have to take issue with “dinosaurs making a smart decision”.  Do you really think they have been weighing off the pros and cons in serious meetings and came to that smart conclusion or are there ulterior motives? How long before we see the geniuses at the ministry of tourism touting reprehensible callous slogans worldwide like: “come to Thailand for your abortion and enjoy our food and beaches”?

23 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Perhaps I'm one of those "religious nutters"...but I support legalization of abortion.  There is no gift of God, given to mankind, more sacred than freedom of choice.  In matters where the Bible does not prescribe a clear standard (e.g. no stealing, no adultery, no murder, etc.), it is proper to allow each one to take personal responsibility for such choices).  While I would not choose an abortion, unless medically necessary, I do not feel it is my place to make this choice for someone else.

Most of those who claim "abortion is murder" believe that this is the Bible's teaching.  It isn't.  In fact, all but one of the "abortion" texts in the Bible come out in favor of it.  Most people do not study carefully enough to see this.  If you search online in a KJV Bible, look for "untimely birth" and read all of those passages.  You will see that Job wished to have been one (an abortion).  You will see that King Solomon says it would be better for a man to have been an "untimely birth" than to have lived an evil life during which he fathered 100 children.  Wow. 

DEEPER THEOLOGY (For those interested)

The word "murder" in the Hebrew Bible comes from the word "ratsach" which is defined as the unlawful killing of a "soul" (Heb. "nephesh"--meaning a breathing creature).  The unborn hasn't yet taken its first breath.  It is not yet numbered as a person in the Bible, and not counted as a "soul" until after it is born and living independent of its mother.  Those who say life begins at conception are correct: it does.  But soulhood begins after birth, and it is of the soul that the Bible says "all have sinned."  If a zygote has a soul--how could it have sinned?  Without even a brain yet, it is not yet capable of having made a decision, much less a moral one.  Definitions are important.  An abortion is "killing" but it is not "murder" (and the KJV mistranslated "ratsach" as "kill" in the sixth commandment--most modern versions translate it correctly as "murder").

How does a new born baby sin?

7 minutes ago, Nobbie49 said:

I agree with most of your well written posts Mike but this time I have to take issue with “dinosaurs making a smart decision”.  Do you really think they have been weighing off the pros and cons in serious meetings and came to that smart conclusion or are there ulterior motives? How long before we see the geniuses at the ministry of tourism touting reprehensible callous slogans worldwide like: “come to Thailand for your abortion and enjoy our food and beaches”?

Can't see how the junta that willfully killed tourism for two years would make this decision on the basis of attracting a few hundred women a year choosing Thailand for an abortion holiday.

3 hours ago, itsari said:

Yes,direct from USA

From USA they can cross to Canada or Mexico for abortions. The only tourism for Westerner countries visiting Thailand is for seeking brides or orgies in numerous bars all over the country. And there is no risk of that due heavy influx of Indians because I have never met an Indian married to a Thai prostitute unless done solely for the purpose of g getting a "wife visa"

Edited by Onerak

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand today announced that pregnant women who are between 12-20 weeks into their pregnancy could seek an abortion legally after having consulted with their doctors.

So if a girl is up the duff, does she have to wait until 12 weeks before an abortion is legal?

3 hours ago, alyx said:

At long last

As for medical tourism, quite doubtful as abortion is not permitted in "only" three Asian countries: Iraq, Laos and the Philippines.

Plenty of other countries to go to I guess

Actually I believe Laos has recently liberalized its rules. 

30 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

How does a new born baby sin?

Technically speaking, the age at which a person is first counted in the Bible is 30 days--so I see a little bit of room for a "viability period" here.  During its first days of life, a newborn quickly learns to express selfishness.  Newborns do not like to cry without a reason--but they soon learn that doing so gets them some attention, and the cry later morphs into a tantrum if they aren't getting what they want.  Beyond these observations, I am thankful not to be the Judge who decides.  I'm just theorizing.  However, we know that the sins of the parents get passed on to their children by their example, and who has perfect parents?

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Most of those who claim "abortion is murder" believe that this is the Bible's teaching.

I don't care about the bible, but abortion is the suicide of our current civilisation.

Women in the modern technological world refuse to reproduce, while the more primitive countries breed like crazy. White folk were 60% of the world population before the WWs, now we're down to 15% (and that 15% now includes Hispanics).

At this rate in another 50 years our civilisation will be completely gone.   

And the entire world will be left in the hands of the Religion of Peace, which in some ways I approve. 

Edited by BritManToo

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't care about the bible, but abortion is the suicide of our current civilisation.

Women in the modern technological world refuse to reproduce, while the more primitive countries breed like crazy. White folk were 60% of the world population before the WWs, now we're down to 15% (and that 15% now includes Hispanics).

At this rate in another 50 years our civilisation will be completely gone.   

And the entire world will be left in the hands of the Religion of Peace, which in some ways I approve. 

Maybe soon coming METOO campaign where womans want men delivery babys also!

Western problem is that woman dont want to be woman anymore! 

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually I believe Laos has recently liberalized its rules. 

Not quite sure as, from their website (if autorised to link) 

https://www.womenonwaves.org/en/page/4879/abortion-law-laos

Abortion is illegal in Laos except to save a woman's life. 

Anyone caught performing an abortion can be imprisoned from 2-5 years. 

Any woman caught performing her own abortion or having commissioned another to can be imprisoned from 3 months to 3 years.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Sounds like a repeat of what happened in America. Parents let the kids run around and have sex as teenagers and then the obvious happens. I didn't think this happened so much in Thailand but maybe it's the same these days.

Here in my village, a bunch of M1, first year of high school, 13 yr old girls come over to visit the boys. They were going to school occasionally, now hardly ever. Laying around all day on the phones, sometimes kicking a ball around. Then the boys and girls go down by the rivers or ponds to do...something. They stay with the grandparents who are usually out on the farms. Parents are down in BKK working in factories. About the only thing raising them are their phones, dogs, and chickens.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, peter zwart said:

And now we come to the point where America can learn from Thailand. Where America is dusting off 120-year-old laws, Thailand is making steps forward. The world is a funny place.

I think reading facts rather than hype. Depending on state termination is between 17 and 24 weeks depending on state and under certain medical circumstances much later. You can also travel to a different state. I could say a lot more as was stated by certain senator's that it was OK to about a new born baby!!!

4 hours ago, n00dle said:

I cant help but think its a good thing you have no say in the matter.

You probably ignore the fact that its a good thing - for you - that your mother didn't kill you in the womb ? Murder , plain and simple. Incest, rape , abnormalities, no issue, otherwise murdering kids is just a lifestyle choice

• Like 1

4 hours ago, n00dle said:

I cant help but think its a good thing you have no say in the matter.

But he just had his say in this matter....

Let's just hope that the next step will not be: "My neighborhood, my choice. Or , my country my choice". Or some sophism of the like of what we see in the picture: "My body, my choice". Well, not only women are able to formulate sophisms...

Just reflecting on the idea of being able to kill a defenseless person , because it has to do what one's body.

I will be careful not to step on (her) toes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nobbie49 said:

Thanks.

Certainly there are ulterior motives. They are not exactly noblemen! I am simply shocked they made a couple of decisions that are of benefit to the people for a change. The timing is indeed suspect. And do not for one second think I like them now, or approve of their leaded ship on any level. 99% of Thais I speak to despise them.

Just pleasantly surprised for a change. Progressive policy from Juraissic era men. Who would have thought that was possible? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, alyx said:

Not quite sure as, from their website (if autorised to link) 

https://www.womenonwaves.org/en/page/4879/abortion-law-laos

Abortion is illegal in Laos except to save a woman's life. 

Anyone caught performing an abortion can be imprisoned from 2-5 years. 

Any woman caught performing her own abortion or having commissioned another to can be imprisoned from 3 months to 3 years.

That is inaccurate. (though widely misreported this way).

I did work on this for WHO and went into depth into Lao laws. There was never a law stating that abortion was illegal except to save a woman's life. The criminal code does not define the circumstances under which abortion is or is not legal, but rather just lists penalties for “illegal abortion”. Abortion is legal if government authorities approve it and otherwise not. Government hospitals receive requests for abortions and  grant some of them.  As of when I researched this in 2013,  the level of decision-making  differed from province to province, in some cases resting within the hospital and in others involving local authorities, and there was a lack of uniformity in criteria applied.  I was told verbally that this was in some manner addressed later on, I don't know how - could have been just internal Ministry of Health circular.

• Thanks 2