Cabinet set to decide on 300 baht fee for foreign tourists

snoop1130

14 hours ago, DezLez said:

"Between 2017-2019, the Thai government spent more than 700 million baht compensating the Public Health Ministry after uninsured foreign tourists had received medical treatment in Thailand but had left the country without paying their bills."

Have they published what is the projected loss of overall revenue if fewer visitors arrive due to the fee?

Guess not. That's not the Public Health Ministry's business. The Public Health Ministry's business is to check the medical bills are getting paid. 

14 hours ago, DezLez said:

"Between 2017-2019, the Thai government spent more than 700 million baht compensating the Public Health Ministry after uninsured foreign tourists had received medical treatment in Thailand but had left the country without paying their bills."

Have they published what is the projected loss of overall revenue if fewer visitors arrive due to the fee?

Are you seriously saying people will not come to Thailand because of a small 300thb fee?  Hmm, maybe Thailand will be better off without those tourists!

• Like 1

Maintain the compulsory travel insurance and have done with it. No insurance, no entry. AseanNow is full of news of foreigners chalking up uninsured motorcycle accidents and associated large hospital bills, repatriation costs of the deceased, injuries sustained during drunken brawls (there's another today), suicides, sickness, emergencies ............ the list goes on......

• Like 1

Tourism tax and othe price increases is a proven way to decrease the number of tourists.  Is that really what Thailand wants at the moment??

Furthermore tourist and expats are already being overcharged at Thailands hospitals. Wouldn't that cover the few tourists, who select to be self-insured, but cannot afford to pay the bills?

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Cabinet is set to rule on whether Thailand will start charging international tourists a fee to enter the country.

Maybe a small amount, yet still a step in the wrong direction.

Thailand should be openly inviting tourists not trying to squeeze every last baht out of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edogthong said:

Nobody knows but it's definitely a strange move for a country that claims to want to increase tourism.

Not strange at all.

Heathrow has both PSC and APD amounting to about 4500 baht for economy passengers.

Did little to reduce tourist numbers.

I don't think paying a extra 300 baht will put tourists off coming to Thailand 

The price of  airfares might plus their own home currency 

Like the sterling pound not far off 1 to 1 with the American dollar ????

So 300 baht won't deter people who want to come to the land of

smiles ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DezLez said:

Well B300 won't break the bank, and if we as tourists get some value from a comprehensive travel insurance coverage I'm all for it. BUT if these pr**ks are just charging us to bolster up their coffers they can pi** off.

I believe the "big" issue is the airlines will not collect the fee unless they are paid.

Other issues are,

1. The insurance only lasts 30 days.

2. How does a tourist obtain medical help at a hospital? I'm sure the private hospitals will allow tourist patients without payment up front.

3. It keeps mentioning tourists and 30 days. What about the new 45 day VOA? What about expats?

What about tourists with medical insurance?

4. Do the numbers quoted of patients doing a runner include migrant workers? A lot of them do runners.

For me I think it would be easier for everyone to have hotels collect 10thb per day as a "room tax" which would be added to the tourists bill. Thai nationals would be exempt.

I can just see the fiasco at Immigration, trying to collect 300thb per passenger. For those without Thai bait, a long line at ATM'S, maybe???

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, DezLez said:

I don't think that prospective visitors are going to be all that concerned about 300 baht - I think they'll be more bothered about the rapidly escalating cost of flights, and the increased cost of living in many parts of the (Western) World, making holidays a lot less affordable. 

I think we can all agree that 300 baht is not the REAL issue, or that it presents a financial burden for tourists, save the zero dollar tours where it will eat into their margin.

This isn't really about 300 baht. Or is it about unpaid medical bills. Or is it about maintaining and improving tourist attractions. It's about a 5.4 BILLION Baht (annually, based on 18 m tourists) slush fund for the MoT&T's minister and PERMANENT Secretary, where there will be zero accountability.

There's a reason Phipat is pushing this, and pushing it now. An interim government, and a new one longer term will mean his cash grab will be halted. I imagine he needs to share this fund with other sto insure passage.

If this goes forward you can bet other ministries will jump on the bandwagon. MoE will charge a "Traveler Fuel Surcharge". MoPH will charge a "Traveler Health Fee".

Note that they are NOT increasing the PSC from 700 baht to 1,000 baht. Rather they (with Krung Sri Bank) will use an app to insure payment is made prior to boarding. Extortion, Thai style, stealing in plain sight, but with a smile.

Edited by bamnutsak