Cabinet set to decide on 300 baht fee for foreign tourists

snoop1130

tourists-arrival-survanahumbi-630x420.jpeg

Foreign tourists arrive at Suvarnabhumi Airport. File photo

The Cabinet is set to rule on whether Thailand will start charging international tourists a fee to enter the country.

According to Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the Cabinet will be asked to consider implementing the fee, dubbed the “Thailand Traveller Fee”, during a meeting scheduled for some time in October.

Mr Phiphat said that a study into the proposed fee is set to be completed within the coming days before it will be presented to the Cabinet.

Full Story: https://www.huahintoday.com/thailand-news/cabinet-set-to-decide-on-300-baht-fee-for-foreign-tourists/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-09-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

That is my point!

You do not "develop" or increase tourism by increasing costs unless you are giving the tourist an increased benefit.

Where is the increased "benefit" to a tourist in increasing their charges, especially if they already have travel insurance?.

I believe TAT will loose more than they will gain.

Singapore has a charge too. Nobody stops visiting Singapore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

What if u book plane ticket 6 months on advance?

Fees only work if part of ticket price.

Airlines would need time to implement.

So, I did book my flight many weeks ago can I still be charged with this? I am not worried about the 300 baht but maybe the held up at customs

• Like 2

They already do have a fee at least it shows on a recent ticket I bought a month ago

So I guess they are actually raising it ? Or maybe these are all just Ana airlines fees?

That last one is 743 baht for Thailand Passenger Service Charge

3.jpg

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DezLez said:

That is my point!

You do not "develop" or increase tourism by increasing costs unless you are giving the tourist an increased benefit.

Where is the increased "benefit" to a tourist in increasing their charges, especially if they already have travel insurance?.

I believe TAT will loose more than they will gain.

It'll all go into "sompeople's" pockets anyway.

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

There was a report a few months back saying the purpose of the 300Baht fee was to develop tourism.

As far as I can remember, some of the 300Baht was to provide medical insurance for travellers.  Whatever it was for, to take 300baht before they've even collected their luggage is a bit below the belt.

13 hours ago, DezLez said:

Have they published what is the projected loss of overall revenue if fewer visitors arrive due to the fee?

It would be zero, as no-one would notice it or even care about 300 baht added to an airfare that costs thousands. Many, many countries impose fees, sometimes as in the UK amounting to hundreds of pounds.