Cabinet set to decide on 300 baht fee for foreign tourists

snoop1130

31 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

As an 18 year TH expat I have both private insurance and my social security payments - you be stuffed here without being insured. 

That's true, but there are lots of posters who cannot afford insurance. Assuming you live here, and you pay insurance and never have to claim, then you get older and your premiums increase or are stopped altogether. That sort of behaviour only makes expats want to self insure. There are three groups I would not trust, and not just in Thailand, that is, the medical profession, banks and insurance companies. 

• Like 1

Thai government needs replaced, this endless application of new rules/hoops then step-backs then step-forward...is there any other government in the world ?

How about well though out STABLE rules where all use case/use case exceptions have been looked at ?

MORONFEST.

The hindrance this lot cause to Thailand's growth.

10 Baht 300 Baht doesn't matter. No one is going to come back again same as before. Covid sped up the process by years. Now with the world in a recession forget about it.  Everything I have read says inflation is going to be out of control for 5 years at least.  Government should be trying to figure out how they are going to feed the people instead of tourists.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Mr Phiphat said that a study into the proposed fee is set to be completed within the coming days before it will be presented to the Cabinet.

Why on earth announce the fee in the first place, before studies have been completed, oh silly me 10k for attending a meetings.

375673942_download(43).jpg.ddcb7aa49768f2a46922b3781618edc2.jpg

• Like 1

"Under the current proposals, foreigners arriving in Thailand by air would be charged 300 baht, while those arriving by land, sea or rail could be charged between 100 and 200 baht."

but as I understand is a  "landboarder tourist" more likely running away at hospitals

8 hours ago, edogthong said:

700M Baht is such a ridiculously small amount of money in the grand scheme of things. It's not even worth mentioning. The article neglected to mention how much medical tourism and foreigners in general contributed to the health sector. I'd love to see those two numbers put up against each other. All the state of the art hospitals and clinics that Thailand is so proud of were built with money from foreigners. 

You sure about that? Example: Bangkok Hospital Super Highway Chiang Mai, are you saying all of their customers are farang?

5 hours ago, mnomad said:

Will they also charge me an additional 220baht surcharge for using my foreign debit card to make this payment ????

Cash only! Then they dispatch you to ATM and that take you 220 bth and your own farang bank take little more! Happy days. Maybe need carry some change in pocket when entrance LOS(LOM=land of mask's).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It would be zero, as no-one would notice it or even care about 300 baht added to an airfare that costs thousands. Many, many countries impose fees, sometimes as in the UK amounting to hundreds of pounds.

Difference is that the UK doesn't charge on both exit and departure AFAIK but I understand your point 

38 minutes ago, grandpa said:

When I visited Peru several times, I seem to remember that I had to pay a fee on departure, not on arrival.  Those on long term visas i.e those ex-pats living in Peru, were exempt I think.

That's how it's currently setup in thailand

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Perhaps offering a free nights stay, a 3,000 baht voucher for restaurants, or at least talking the sourpuss immigration people into thanking tourists for coming?

That works well in Vegas (free stay & food vouchers) & I have taken them up on it in the past

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:23 AM, Chelseafan said:

I doubt most travellers will have any issues nor care what the 300 baht is and will be happy just to pay it. The key is ensuring its part of the ticket price so it's easy to collect

The principal of the 300 baht charge is sound, where the money ends up and how it is used is an entirely different matter. Don't forget we also pay 600 baht (IIRC) tax to exit Thailand - I wonder what THAT money is used for?

What's it used for: military toys, junket trips, watches and other critical purchases for the benift of the country - did you think it was wasted? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I agree with your comments regarding economics but in this case I seriously doubt that $8 is going to put people off travelling to Thailand in the same way that no-one cares about the 600 baht to exit.

That's where you are wrong and you failed to understand my point. You're looking at individuals and not at the whole picture. While it seems logical that no individual tourist would ever refrain from travelling to Thailand due to a tiny 300 Baht fee, the reality is that this will have a negative effect on tourism as a whole, however significant. Just the fact that this story is out there, negatively affects Thailand's reputation and that in turn will affect tourism. It will have an effect on how people talk, blog, vlog and write about Thailand. Many prospective tourists won't even be aware that this 300 Baht fee is responsible for them not choosing Thailand as their holiday destination.

Everything is connected (when a butterfly flaps its wings...) and to use another old analogy; this is the straw that broke the camel's back (for some). 

Edited by edogthong
Different sized font
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Why should the unelected soldiers bother about tourism? There income stream and offshore accounts will be doing very well anyway.

Yeah, you might be on to something. It makes more sense in a way since almost every new thing they come up with to bolster tourism, seems to be designed to have the opposite effect. 

• Love It 1

On 9/28/2022 at 6:52 AM, DezLez said:

"Between 2017-2019, the Thai government spent more than 700 million baht compensating the Public Health Ministry after uninsured foreign tourists had received medical treatment in Thailand but had left the country without paying their bills."

Have they published what is the projected loss of overall revenue if fewer visitors arrive due to the fee?

Do you really think people will boycott and not come over less than $10 USD????? Not likely

45 minutes ago, edogthong said:

That's where you are wrong and you failed to understand my point. You're looking at individuals and not at the whole picture. While it seems logical that no individual tourist would ever refrain from travelling to Thailand due to a tiny 300 Baht fee, the reality is that this will have a negative effect on tourism as a whole, however significant. Just the fact that this story is out there, negatively affects Thailand's reputation and that in turn will affect tourism. It will have an effect on how people talk, blog, vlog and write about Thailand. Many prospective tourists won't even be aware that this 300 Baht fee is responsible for them not choosing Thailand as their holiday destination.

Everything is connected (when a butterfly flaps its wings...) and to use another old analogy; this is the straw that broke the camel's back (for some). 

No one looks at their ticket and thinks, hey there's a £30 charge to use Heathrow airport, let's not go to London.

Thailands problems stem from a variety of issues, Covid, hugely inflated airfares and a looming global recession.

Let's face it, I doubt anyone on this forum will be put off visiting Thailand again for the sake of $8

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:23 AM, Chelseafan said:

No one looks at their ticket and thinks, hey there's a £30 charge to use Heathrow airport, let's not go to London.

Thailands problems stem from a variety of issues, Covid, hugely inflated airfares and a looming global recession.

Let's face it, I doubt anyone on this forum will be put off visiting Thailand again for the sake of $8

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

No, we won't. I agree that you don't understand my point. I've already tried to explain it in multiple ways but you refuse to understand. I wish you all the best anyway. Cheers. 

On 9/30/2022 at 3:31 AM, edogthong said:

possibly, but surely having almost the most dangerous roads in the world and slavery in the fishing industry are far more likely to give people a negative impression of thailand. compared the these examples i think a 300 baht 'tax', that will be hidden in the ticket price anyway, is unlikely to affect many people's view of the country to any large degree.

6 hours ago, edogthong said:

No, we won't. I agree that you don't understand my point. I've already tried to explain it in multiple ways but you refuse to understand. I wish you all the best anyway. Cheers. 

I understand your point but you're wrong. Byeeee

Edited by Chelseafan

On 9/29/2022 at 6:35 AM, edogthong said:

700M Baht is such a ridiculously small amount of money in the grand scheme of things. It's not even worth mentioning. The article neglected to mention how much medical tourism and foreigners in general contributed to the health sector. I'd love to see those two numbers put up against each other. All the state of the art hospitals and clinics that Thailand is so proud of were built with money from foreigners. 

No it's not a big sum of money. Add the 300 Baht entry charge and it is still not a very large sum.

Now multiply that 1000 Baht by the number of visitors, annually, tourist and business, and it actually becomes a remarkably large sum of money. A large number for which there is no transparency as to what it is planned to be used for, just vague mutterings about tourists who skip leaving unpaid hospital bills, and "funding development".

Then add in the knowledge that any regular traveller or resident expatriate cannot but avoid having of how deeply corruption is embedded in the way this country operates and it becomes fairly obvious that it is purely a new spigot for a number of new troughs from which the "entitled" will feed.

I for one, would not mind paying such a "ridiculously small amount of money" if I knew what it was to be used for, and that it was to be rigourously and publicly  accounted for.

What I do find objectionable, and disturbing, is that such senior elements in government are so openly proposing to tap travellers, who the last couple of years have shown are so central to bringing wealth to the country, to feed such a trough.

On 10/1/2022 at 3:07 PM, it is what it is said:

i think a 300 baht 'tax', that will be hidden in the ticket price anyway, is unlikely to affect many people's view of the country to any large degree.

Maybe not but it certainly doesn't help. It's not a step in the right direction. It shows how they're focusing on the wrong things. They're worried about loosing a few hundred million instead of putting all their efforts into making trillions. There's so much they could do to attract tourists but they don't. They could increase the length of stay for TVs to 6 months. They could give everyone 90 days on arrival and do away with much of the unnecessary bureaucracy associated with travelling to Thailand. They could even start charging more for visas and extensions instead of this stupid fee. I don't think anyone would mind paying double or even triple for their visa if the process was easier. 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:11 PM, DezLez said:

That is my point!

You do not "develop" or increase tourism by increasing costs unless you are giving the tourist an increased benefit.

Where is the increased "benefit" to a tourist in increasing their charges, especially if they already have travel insurance?.

I believe TAT will loose more than they will gain.

Agree, has the TAT published a specific list of projects/items/services which will be improved and how they will be improved and how this will impress tourists? I haven't seen it.

I note more serious trouble yesterday at Phuket airport re vans/taxis/airport staff telling visitors who had booked a van in advance to get out of the van and use a taxi.

Where has TAT been? They've had a great opportunity over the 2+ years of zero/very little flights/passengers at Phuket airport to sit down with all concerned and agree a full solution. Nothing.

• Like 1