No Coup Taking Place, Says Defence Ministry Spokesman

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

THE DEFENCE Ministry’s spokesman Gen. Kongcheep Tantravanich yesterday afternoon (Sept. 28) dismissed rumours of a coup d’etat being mounted while also confirming that this issue was not raised at the Defence Council meeting, Thai Rath newspaper said.

I remember Prayut saying that.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I honestly cannot see a new coup in the near future.......well, not unless they get voted out and their pre-appointed lot cannot save them. Then I'd give it about 2-6 weeks

Prawit and Prayut successfully merged the military into government over the last 8 years.

No need for  coup... they're already in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The top dogs don't want to lose the power and prestige nor the possible consequences of their time in office. (Think Thaksin and all the criminal charges still pending against him. Same for his daughter.) 

Despite appearances...

Yingluck Shinawatra, (born June 21, 1967, San Kamphaeng town, Thailand), Thai businesswoman and politician who was prime minister of Thailand from 2011 to 2014. She was the younger sister of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and the first woman in the country to hold that office.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Yingluck-Shinawatra

7 minutes ago, puck2 said:

The junta is afraid of the election, therefore they think about  .......

typically all autocratic/military junta/dictatorship governments are afraid of elections, thus will do anything and everything trying to prevent/dismiss them, as @Tartesosaid "" there is no smoke without fire""

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I honestly cannot see a new coup in the near future.......well, not unless they get voted out and their pre-appointed lot cannot save them. Then I'd give it about 2-6 weeks

Oh it's coming all right...It is hilarious that you think that politicians (or even the military) are in charge of the decision.

6 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

The fact the PM has just been accused of massive amounts of corruption, for the first time in 8 years, could mean he feels he is on his way out and needs to fund his retirement?

"fund his retirement"?? His offshore accounts could probably fund a dozen retirements.

• Like 2

Have the coup while Prawit is having his daily nap and you could take control before his assistants could ever wake him up and carry him back to the Parlimentary Chambers.

As for Prayut, he's currently scheming plans A, B and C so that somehow he ends up back in power. Once a snake, always a snake.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

THE DEFENCE Ministry’s spokesman Gen. Kongcheep Tantravanich yesterday afternoon (Sept. 28) dismissed rumours of a coup d’etat being mounted while also confirming that this issue was not raised at the Defence Council meeting,

Oh well, that’s ok then.