No Coup Taking Place, Says Defence Ministry Spokesman

webfact

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I honestly cannot see a new coup in the near future.......well, not unless they get voted out and their pre-appointed lot cannot save them. Then I'd give it about 2-6 weeks

The fact the PM has just been accused of massive amounts of corruption, for the first time in 8 years, could mean he feels he is on his way out and needs to fund his retirement?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

The fact the PM has just been accused of massive amounts of corruption, for the first time in 8 years, could mean he feels he is on his way out and needs to fund his retirement?

someone else said this - i ve not seen it in the news as of yet. Where did you read hear this?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

A couple things to keep in mind.

Erdogan (in Turkey) staged a fake coup that resulted in him essentially becoming "leader for life". The Turkish military had staged numerous coups in the past and considered itself to be the defender of democracy in Turkey.
Erdogan termed out as Prime Minister and was able to get elected as President. While he was PM, he replace most of Turkey's "old school" generals with new leaders whose loyalty was to Erdogan first and Turkey second.

Long story short.
The position of President was mainly a ceremonial position whose main purpose was to rubber-stamp appointments made by the Parliament.

Erdogan arranged a fake coup so that a State of Emergency could be declared. The President gains extra powers then and he used to them to round up and imprison 10s of thousands of influential people that might oppose him. He then used his power to make changes to Turkey's Constitution to let him to keep those powers and allow him to remain in position for as long as he likes.

Also keep in mind that Thailand has Myanmar on one side, ruled by military dictators (again) after overthrowing the democratically elected gov't.
On the other side is Cambodia who happily locks up it's opposition leaders and rigs elections to ensure it's leader stays in power.
Both are heavily indebted to China, both financially and politically.
(And of course, Laos to the north with it's communist gov't. Vietnam to the East with it's communist gov't.)

And Thailand is currently run by the same military crew that overthrew the last democratically elected gov't, except they (mostly) wear suits now instead of uniforms.
And they are very friendly with China as well. Thailand itself though is, currently, not indebted to China the way some of her neighbours are. Yet.

With the former PM on the outs over term limits (mere coincidence) and dispute over the acting PM's term as well, it's small wonder that coup rumours are starting.
The top dogs don't want to lose the power and prestige nor the possible consequences of their time in office. (Think Thaksin and all the criminal charges still pending against him. Same for his daughter.) Some of Thailand's current leaders are unusually wealthy considering their previous positions.

Wouldn't take much for another coup to happen here.
Sheesh, I was here for two of them already and the only way I knew they'd happened was when I saw news stories posted on ThaiVisa !

No you knew it was happening when all the police disappeared. No one in those police boxes on Sathorn. 

Then driving down Sathorn, motorbike gangs were smashing the lights and police boxes. 

• Like 1