Pink id card problem

EvetsKram

You need to get the yellow house book first. Without this you probably won't be able to get the pink ID card.

Can't imagine why you might ' need ' one. I have one but don't use it much. I have not heard of it being needed to get cheap Thai health care for example.

• Like 1

As others have pointed out, you would need to be entered into Tabien Baan (blue one if permanent resident, yellow one if non-immigrant), before you can get a Pink ID, which can be issued immediately upon being entered into the house registration for another 60 baht, if I remember correctly.

Pink ID is only valid in the province of issue. To travel outside that province, you would need to use your passport or some other identification. If number on the card doesn't start with 8, you might be asked to provide additional documentation even in the province (as Pink ID is valid for 5 years, but does not indicate immigration status).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Curious: Why does the Op NEED his Pink ID... while they are definitely (IMO) a convenience, they are a nice to have not a need to have. I can’t think of a situation whereby for a Westerner the Pink ID is essential to being in Thailand.

He may be applying for PR or citizenship, I believe yellow book/ID is a requirement

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Pink ID is valid for 5 years, but does not indicate immigration status).

I had no idea it was for 5 years, I thought it was for good, just checked, mine in 10 years, suppose it depends on the office in your province ?

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Pink Id is valid all over Thailand.

"Some" ID holders, like migrant workers or stateless people, have travel restrictions and cant travel to other provinces without other travel documents.

As the issuing staff told me when I got the ID, "Any travel restrictions do not apply to people who are otherwise free to travel around Thailand".. I have used Pink ID in Phuket, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Samut Sahkon, Chonburi. At police stations, Gov offices, hospitals. Pink IDs are valid for 10 years, or lifetime if issued when over 60

Agreed...   on every single one of these ‘pink ID threads’ certain posters (no names ????) always state that the Pink ID is for migrant labourers and means we cannot leave the province - they are always wrong !!... 

There is no such limitation when the holder also holds ‘alien identification’ (i.e. a Passport).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

You guys made me go and look at mine, and true - it is valid for 10 years. Apologies for misinformation earlier.

As for the where they are valid - yes, as Peter says, people can travel anywhere, but need another means of identification, officially. See point 3 below (photo of the back of the Pink ID).

Let me roughly translate: The person on this card isn't allowed to leave the area that issued the card except those who have alien identification certificate (passport would do here, I assume), or have written permission.

Enforced? Unlikely. But this is already better than previous text (until a few years back) which had no "except" part at all...

IMG_20220929_170145.jpg

I think Pink IDs issued to those aged 60 and over are issued for life. Mine was.

The first digit of the ID number will be a "6" for those with non-immigrant status. It will be an "8" for those with immigrant status (permanent residents). Naturalized Thais will also have "8" as the first digit on their blue ID card.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Denim said:

Mine actually says     dtalort cheewit ...........valid for life, no limit.

They probably took one look at me and thought I was ready to pop my clogs so no time limit needed.

Only 64 when it was issued. 65 now.

I was 57 when I applied, that was 5 years ago, so I suppose if I am still kicking my heels in another 5 at 67, I might just go and get my life membership with updated mug shot, that's what it looks like ????

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

My pink id has helped ,cheap meds and doctor appointments also cheaper hospital stay. Always find its a  good thing to have.

There is no link between pink ID card and social security, that is what you need to get cheaper (usually free) hospital stays.

There used to be free medical cover with pink ID but that project stopped.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

As others have pointed out, you would need to be entered into Tabien Baan (blue one if permanent resident, yellow one if non-immigrant), before you can get a Pink ID, which can be issued immediately upon being entered into the house registration for another 60 baht, if I remember correctly.

Pink ID is only valid in the province of issue. To travel outside that province, you would need to use your passport or some other identification. If number on the card doesn't start with 8, you might be asked to provide additional documentation even in the province (as Pink ID is valid for 5 years, but does not indicate immigration status).

Valid for life if over the age of 65. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, puchooay said:

There is no link between pink ID card and social security, that is what you need to get cheaper (usually free) hospital stays.

There used to be free medical cover with pink ID but that project stopped.

10% discount at Wrong Way pub in Ubon

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe different Pink ID’s issued from different regions vary:

- I thought the validity of the Pink ID is 10 years.

- I thought the number for all expats starts with 6.

Don't remember exactly how long my first card was valid for think 10 years, but my card got damaged (number wearing off) went for a replacement (no charge) when I was 64 it is now valid for life. 

My number was issued in Lom Sak, Phetchabun, back in 2001, it starts with a 6 and ends in 8, whatever that implies/means.

5 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Don't remember exactly how long my first card was valid for think 10 years, but my card got damaged (number wearing off) went for a replacement (no charge) when I was 64 it is now valid for life. 

My number was issued in Lom Sak, Phetchabun, back in 2001, it starts with a 6 and ends in 8, whatever that implies/means.

For expats who have PR (like myself) it starts with 8. For others on visas it starts with 6. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Good advice... 

Maybe different Pink ID’s issued from different regions vary:

- I thought the validity of the Pink ID is 10 years.

- I thought the number for all expats starts with 6.

(Not making any statement of fact, but stating what I thought).

-------

Regarding the OP: Perhaps his local Amphur office thought he wanted to get a Pink ID straight away and misunderstood his request.

Of course, as everyone has already mentioned - he will need to get his Yellow Tabien Baan house book before he can secure a pink ID (on the same day shortly after receiving the Yellow Book).

Curious: Why does the Op NEED his Pink ID... while they are definitely (IMO) a convenience, they are a nice to have not a need to have. I can’t think of a situation whereby for a Westerner the Pink ID is essential to being in Thailand.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I used my Thai ID at Khon Kean University 'after hours clinic'. Registered with it and no passport. So I'm not sure if the Thai ID made a difference as the origional quote for a proceedure was B40000 but ended up paying around B22000.

I use my Thai ID everywhere.

• Like 1