Misprinted 20 Baht Polymer Banknotes In Circulation

webfact

image.jpeg

Some 20 baht banknotes. The Thai headline says, “Erroneous banknotes.” Photo: Sanook.com

TNR Staff 

THE BANK of Thailand said today (Sept. 29) that an error was found in a batch of 20 baht banknotes with the Thai numeral not matching the Arabic one but the public could still use them as normal until they are fully removed from the system, Sanook.com said this evening (Sept. 29).

Ms. Wachira Aromdee, the central bank’s deputy governor for administrative affairs, said further distribution of the misprinted banknotes was immediately halted.

The error occurred in the printing process undertaken by De La Rue International Limited (DLR) that got a contract in 2020 to supply 100 million banknotes.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/09/29/misprinted-20-baht-polymer-banknotes-in-circulation/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-09-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joe Farang said:

If you have possesion of one of these notes. Hold onto it as they will be worth a fortune

Please excuse any spelling mistakes as I am drunk writing this  but I am correct.

Normally you wou would be right but then TIT

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

If I find any I will hang onto them, thats if I can work out what the error is.

I did get one of the large 1000 baht commemorative notes just in case.

We have quite the collection of old and new notes in great shape as well as some pretty old coins.  I once took the coins which had certain markings on them that were mistakes to a dealer, and he wanted to give us face value.....he saw a farang and thought he could make a mint off of my supposed stupidity....so now they sit in coin cases and in the collection.  One day maybe people here in Thailand will be true collectors like elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

We have quite the collection of old and new notes in great shape as well as some pretty old coins.  I once took the coins which had certain markings on them that were mistakes to a dealer, and he wanted to give us face value.....he saw a farang and thought he could make a mint off of my supposed stupidity....so now they sit in coin cases and in the collection.  One day maybe people here in Thailand will be true collectors like elsewhere.

We collected heaps of commemorative coins in Australia. My wife saw a "Space" coin on ebay for $35. From the photo it looked like the rare version of it and worth a lot more. She bought it. I took it to a dealer in Brisbane who said it just the normal version. Staff compared several of their stock and told him that it wasn't the same. He said well maybe it isn't but you won't get anywhere near $600 (per catalogue). He was right, only got $450 for it.

I also had a well used $20 star note which we sold for $1000.

• Thumbs Up 1

:The error occurred in the printing process undertaken by De La Rue International Limited (DLR) that got a contract in 2020 to supply 100 million banknotes;

No way of telling how many of them were printed and therefore the value for collectors depend on how many are in circulation...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ezzra said:

No way of telling how many of them were printed and therefore the value for collectors depend on how many are in circulation...

True but many people won't know what they have and the longer in circulation the less each note is worth due to its condition. If I can find the error I will look for them and keep the them. The $20 star note I mentioned in an above post was being given to my wife from my wallet as I did not know about it, only my wife told me to keep it. It was a few years later but we got $1000 for it.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

:The error occurred in the printing process undertaken by De La Rue International Limited (DLR) that got a contract in 2020 to supply 100 million banknotes;

Ergo why you hold onto them for years to come while the others are removed from circulation making the ones held more valuable by the day as fewer will still exist.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just looking at that , have they made a mistake ?

Isnt that the number 30 and not the number 20 ?

Look at the symbol for 3 and 13 and they have the same symbol for 20

So does that mean it is now a thirty baht note? ????

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ergo why you hold onto them for years to come while the others are removed from circulation making the ones held more valuable by the day as fewer will still exist.

Trouble is, everyone has that idea and there are multitudes or rare bank notes stashed away , waiting for them to become valuable 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Trouble is, everyone has that idea and there are multitudes or rare bank notes stashed away , waiting for them to become valuable 

If that is what happens then the grandkids will make money from the collection one day....

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I think you have a misconceived idea about how many people actually know about them, how many will look for them, how many will keep them and, especially in poorer countries, how long will keep them?

6 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I think you have a misconceived idea about how many people actually know about them, how many will look for them, how many will keep them and, especially in poorer countries, how long will keep them?

I predict that every 20 Baht banknote will be thoroughly inspected tomorrow all looking for discrepancies  and dreams of the finder becoming rich .

This news will spread like wild fire throughout Thailand with everyone inspecting every 20 Baht note they handle

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

looking for discrepancies  and dreams of the finder becoming rich .

I don't ever expect becoming rich from coins/notes, but in Australia where many more people do collect, I made $450 from a coin I paid $35 for and $1000 from a $20 note. Not rich but nice little finds.

I'm a perfectionist.  I had miss-struct pennies, upside down quarters, misprint coins, you name it......had to get rid of them all .  

I have a hundred of these "fake" 20's and will easily part with them.......................I hate them!!

But I love money.................20,000 baht each!!!  

3 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I don't ever expect becoming rich from coins/notes, but in Australia where many more people do collect, I made $450 from a coin I paid $35 for and $1000 from a $20 note. Not rich but nice little finds.

I don't remember the last time I used coins or notes .

I cannot recall the last time that I spent money  .

Its still widely in use, but I just don't have any ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1