Misprinted 20 Baht Polymer Banknotes In Circulation

webfact

14 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

My guess is that the horizontal serial numbers using Thai numerals somehow did not match the vertical serial numbers using Arabic numerals. 

Ok. So now a more complicated check.

Plastic notes are off limits for spending now ????

• Like 2

Excellent Quality Assurance.

I am sure that a test note and print template would have been reviwed by the Client and Printing Firm together prior to the client's final sign off on the script of the new note before any print run was commenced. Who in Treasury has put their hand up to accept responsibility for signing off on the erroneous notes, nobody is my guess. 

5 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Why couldn't the story tell exactly what the "error" is.

To the right vertical is the number with arabic numbers and roman a letter. Top center horisontal is the same number in thai. Posisjon 2 should be a letter in the same order as in the other. If roman was A then thai would be ก since that is the first letter in thai alfabet. If it is not ก then it is wrong. This is what they are saying.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Geir Rasch said:

To the right vertical is the number with arabic numbers and roman a letter. Top center horisontal is the same number in thai. Posisjon 2 should be a letter in the same order as in the other. If roman was A then thai would be ก since that is the first letter in thai alfabet. If it is not ก then it is wrong. This is what they are saying.

I suspected it would be something like this, but this explanation wasn't in the article.

3 hours ago, Geir Rasch said:

I will need some photos or pictures with a big red arrow pointing at the topic in question 

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Interesting how they point and name the printing company which is very unlikely responsible for the mess.

A Thai company would not be named due to the defamation laws.

DLR should try a defamation charge ????

Indeed, like many things here, the application of defamation laws are variable on circumstances and relative perceived authority of those involved.

Foreign  individuals/companies appear to be seen as fairer game for identification in general, and when the Thai government is involved, they can name pretty much whoever they like without fear of legal issues…. 

Another example of one rule for one..

21 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I have a 10 baht note from here. Don't know how old, not in great condition but will hang onto it.

1969 10 baht uncirculated appraised 3.80 US dollar. Circulated appraised at 10 baht.

Rama 8 Era 10 baht uncirculated appraised 19,000 to 42,000 baht depended on the finance minister who signed. Circulated 2,500 to 6,000 baht

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stratocaster said:

1969 10 baht uncirculated appraised 3.80 US dollar. Circulated appraised at 10 baht.

Rama 8 Era 10 baht uncirculated appraised 19,000 to 42,000 baht depended on the finance minister who signed. Circulated 2,500 to 6,000 baht

Yoohoo. Likes like mine worth 10 baht.

On 9/30/2022 at 4:33 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

20 in Arabic is the symbol in yellow in the bottom left hand corner, where is that written on the 20 Bhat note ?

Arabic Numbers Poster Arabic Alphabets Homeschool Wall Art image 1

The article talks about, "20 baht banknotes with the Thai numeral not matching the Arabic one ..."

This means the Thai numeral does not match the Arabic numeral.

There is a difference between what we in the west call "Arabic numerals" and the numerals used in most Arabic-speaking countries nowadays.

These are the numbers known as "Arabic numerals" in the west:

They were called Arabic numerals to differentiate them from Roman numerals such as I, II, III, IV, V etc and were based on early versions of Arabic numerals such as the ones shown below from the 10th century.

Screenshot_2022_1001_125040.png.6e2db2cd3e8de1c27ac418a0c7f5850d.png

The numerals used in Arabic countries gradually changed under the influence of Hindi numerals into the ones used in Arabic countries today (which are the ones in the image you posted).

On 9/30/2022 at 4:46 AM, Joe Farang said:

If you have possesion of one of these notes. Hold onto it as they will be worth a fortune

Please excuse any spelling mistakes as I am drunk writing this  but I am correct.

"...they will be worth a fortune".

Not very likely considering there are millions of them in circulation and everyone knows about it.

On 9/30/2022 at 9:53 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Interesting how they point and name the printing company which is very unlikely responsible for the mess.

Seems that you're wrong...

"The error occurred in the printing process undertaken by De La Rue International Limited (DLR) that got a contract in 2020 to supply 100 million banknotes.

De La Rue issued a statement saying it understands the root cause of the error and has put corrective actions in place to ensure it does not reoccur".

DLR have accepted responsibility.

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

A month has gone by has anyone has found one of these misprinted 20 Baht banknotes and can provide a picture of the error?

Where is the error ? I would like to become rich quickly so please do hurry ! Post the evidence, please !

P.S.: I do not see any error in the picture of the original post

On 9/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I will need some photos or pictures with a big red arrow pointing at the topic in question 

Explanation and photo here:  https://banknotenews.com/?p=37863

...........mismatched Thai and English serial numbers............

On this note, the second digit in the Thai serial number is ๖ (6), whereas it should be ๑ (1) to match the English serial number.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 4:46 AM, Joe Farang said:

If you have possesion of one of these notes. Hold onto it as they will be worth a fortune

Please excuse any spelling mistakes as I am drunk writing this  but I am correct.

Don't count on it. I had a note that was half 20 and half 50. So I took it to the bank and they gave me 20 baht.