Sending expensive watch back to the UK (and back again)

Batty

3 hours ago, Batty said:

Ita no longer under warranty - the watch is nine years old.

I mean if you have had 'several' watches repaired by all seasons place and never had an issue, that gives me confidence actually.

The fact is, look I didn't want to say this in the post because it sounds a bit ignorant and 'thai bashy' but I just don't trust Thais when it comes to standards. I have lived here a very long time and had so many bad experiences with quality of work, it's left me anti-thai in that respect, and that respect only.

I've had a few really nice classic Lambretta scooters in Thailand, spent fortunes restoring them sourcing decent parts from around the world, but even the best Lambretta mechanics take ten times as long to sort it, and always end up doing a bodge job. After years of stress with Thai mechanics I eventually flew a Lambretta mechanic over from the UK and stuck them in a hotel. It cost me bloody fortunes. 

Mind you, he lost the plot half way into the job after nine days of drinking Samsung day and night, and took off with a lady boy never to be seen again, leaving my scooters half complete. So there is that, also lol.

Either way I have a (flawed, probably) view of Thai work standards. I don't make a fuss about it, or sit in bars moaning about them, or bash them on forums. It's an opinion I usually keep to myself. Thais are, for the most part, pretty great. But in that one area - standards and general conscientiousness - my confidence is flawed. 

I know I'm wrong for thinking that, but there it is. I just figured someone like STS in England, or another service center of repute, would be safer bet.

I did use them once before by the way (Swatch, all seasons place). It took 4 months to service and then 2 years 3 months later, it stopped working again. Unfair to blame them, it could have been a problem unralted, but still... You know. Tainted.

But if you have genuinely had several repairs with them and are satisfied, that gives me reason to reconsider. Thanks.

Cheers.

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I have a 22 year old Tag Heuer watch that has kept perfect time for me  doing every service in Thailand. Don't waste your money sending it back to the UK.

• Like 2

I once paid 3k baht for a Seiko, otherwise never more than 100 baht for a made in China timepiece, hence concerns about  breakdowns, etc not an issue. Never understood why people pay so much for so little. Likewise  gold chain wearers and the like. 

There are lots of expert certified repairers and service agents in LOS. Try the 'Hourglass' chain. They have shops in all the larger Central Malls, Paragon etc.

I had my Tag Link serviced beautifully at the TAG service centre just near the Kempinski Hotel in BKK a few years back - perfect work and a great free satin finish polishing on the case and bracelet which I never asked for.

Remember shipping a valuable like that runs risks no matter how you ship, not to mention the crooked Customs here ignoring your doc's and then out of the blue demanding you pay duty no matter what documentation you have or they confiscate your watch. I know cause this has happened to mates of mine (in other countries this is called extortion).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I have a 22 year old Tag Heuer watch that has kept perfect time for me  doing every service in Thailand. Don't waste your money sending it back to the UK.

I don't think so. I personally have reason to doubt the standards of Thai based Swatch service center with a six grand watch. I have sent it to them before, and didn't complicate of worry about it. I just packed it up and sent it without worrying in the slightest. Now, a good few years later, I have my doubts about them. It's going to cost me close to 800 GBP anyway - for the sake of an extra maybe 200 GBP I would rather have it done at a center that is generally viewed as one of the best in the world. Just my opinion. I might be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Batty said:

I don't think so. I personally have reason to doubt the standards of Thai based Swatch service center with a six grand watch. I have sent it to them before, and didn't complicate of worry about it. I just packed it up and sent it without worrying in the slightest. Now, a good few years later, I have my doubts about them. It's going to cost me close to 800 GBP anyway - for the sake of an extra maybe 200 GBP I would rather have it done at a center that is generally viewed as one of the best in the world. Just my opinion. I might be wrong.

Yes, you are wrong and seeing your watch is 9 years old and at a minimum your thinking of 1000GBP without any duty. It's your money but what a waste.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely agree...  the Op has some perceived notion that his watch will receive a bette service in the UK than Thailand - he’s basing this notion on one experience and clearly some bias. 

Hi-end watches are very popular in Thailand, there are many reputable dealers and service centres. 

The obvious, simple and logical solution is of course to have the watch serviced in Thailand.

The potential for issues, losses etc when shipping a high value item is too high as are the additional costs of insuring it etc.

Just get it serviced here, seek recommendations if you must Op - but how do you know a service centre in the UK will do a better job? you don’t you are basing all of this decision of a ‘feeling’ which is somewhat daft. 

Not really. I have used them once before, and almost exactly 2 years later it stopped working. It might have been owing to sloppy workmanship - it might not. But I am certain a center in the UK will do a better job, mostly because of bias, yes. But I'm not an irrational person - that bias is based on 20 years of experience of poor work in one respect of another.

I once took a 500,000 baht scooter to the 'leading' Lambretta mechanic in Thailand for a simple job, and it came back with a cheap Vietnamese clutch in place of the original Italian clutch for zero reason and the mechanic later denying all knowledge of it.

Medical, building, banking... There are endless instances of me scratching my head and going '<deleted>' when it comes to Thai workmanship. I never complain about it, or moan (until now) but either way, my view has been tainted and influences big things like this.

I was just asking how complicated the process might be to send it back there. I might have had a few people reply with "yes I did that, it's fine, no problem with customs and they did an amazing job" in which case you wouldn't blame me for sending it back to the UK - espcialy in light of the fact that the last service took months.

As it turns out, based on replies in this post, sending it back to the UK is a bad idea. So I won't. 

I really only see it one way: I asked about the possibility, and got answers to that question. I don't see how that is making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, vandeventer said:

Yes, you are wrong and seeing your watch is 9 years old and at a minimum your thinking of 1000GBP without any duty. It's your money but what a waste.

I have loads of money mate, and I will do what I want with it. 

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 5:57 AM, a3tsw said:

would it not be more economical to take a flight down to Singapore and hand it in to the service centre there and then go back when the watch has received the work required..just a suggestion. 

I was going to suggest the same.  

18 hours ago, MJCM said:

I just read that you bought the Watch Duty Free in the UK, so you could be easily, when you come back from Singapore with your repaired watch, be stopped at the border and then have to pay the customs duty.

I am not saying it will happen but it could, IMHO if you want to mitigate the risk just come back via a Land Border with the watch!

I have never been checked at the airport for my watch. Coming in to EU yes with a new watch. My friend paid the duty.´But with a 9 yr old watch ? 

On 10/1/2022 at 1:38 AM, Batty said:

drinking Samsung

I find that a bit hard to swallow!

On a more serious note, I’m not sure about Omega services but I have had lots of stuff serviced by Cartier and had excellent experiences. I also have both new and vintage Omegas but have never had them serviced in Thailand. On another note, I’ve often wondered if there are any/many collectors in Thailand. I’ve tried to look on Facebook but came up with nothing, even in Thai.

Getting the parts replaced with non-genuine item is a concern here that there are independent high end watch service shop in Bangkok that'll let you watch the watch being serviced if you make an appointment with them, for much cheaper than the official dealer's price too.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:40 AM, Batty said:

know that sounds mental but you can get a carbon copy of this watch for like 2500 baht in bangkok!

At the end of the day, this is what has me wondering.   If you're determined to have it serviced my vote goes to Singapore

Edited by In Full Agreement

• 2 weeks later...