Biden’s APEC no-show seen as a blow to Thai government’s credibility

webfact

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Glad to hear that you visited many times. What did you think of the change in the country over the last 40 years? Do the people seem happy, prosperous? Or did they fear that their every move was being monitored? Did you feel that you were being followed every where you went? If so, why did you visit many times? 

Last 40 years…..lol. Well forty years ago the great firewall was not in place, cctv surveillance also not around which contrary to what you say is not western propaganda.

My girlfriend has a teaching contract in Shanghai hence my visits. Are people happier than 40 years ago? I would be 3 years old then so you need to find someone else to ask that and has nothing to do with the factual censorship that is in place and all to do with the Chinese only having one side of the coin.

57 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Strange. My friends in China are able to view the same sites as me. They use baidu instead of google. Are you in China or are you just repeating western propaganda?

1 hour ago, coolcarer said:

The Chinese only have on side of the fence to sit on, it’s got the most extensive and sophisticated censorship apparatus in the world, among the worlds top jailers of journalists, both state and private news outlets and under the authorities supervision, no website or news outlet is allowed to provide a news service on the internet without Cyberspace Admin of China permission. The great firewall puts paid to any form of unauthorized viewing of international news or media to ensure that fence is high enough to stop the Chinese people getting unbiased news.

Banning of unauthorized VPN’s foreign search engines banned. Amazing China. Please don’t try to say it depends on which side of the fence your sitting when in China you are forced to take only one side.

My Chinese friends here all claim the Government in China is exactly as you described. That is a dozen individuals sharing personal experiences. I believe them too. What value would be in all of them making up examples?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

My Chinese friends here all claim the Government in China is exactly as you described. That is a dozen individuals sharing personal experiences. I believe them too. What value would be in all of them making up examples?

he belittles western democratic values in favor of China's model where they changed the constitution recently so Xi Jinping can take a third term and effectively stay as president for life. 

There was no debate on this beforehand. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, webfact said:

US President Joe Biden’s decision to skip the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Thailand in November is a reflection of the Thai government’s weak international image and the fallout of a democracy deficit, many political observers believe. 

Says whom?

I think it's because he's too old to travel long distances, nothing more. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, webfact said:

Biden’s absence could be viewed as pressure on Thailand over the state of domestic democracy, according to a senior official at the Foreign Ministry who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Don't believe a word, probably just made up for a story. Senior officials don't speak to Thai newspapers anonymously.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Likely Thailand wants them, so the general can brag, and feel better about themselves. But, I doubt the US would allow it, knowing how cozy Thailand is with China. The US possesses incredible superiority in both the air, and the sea, against China, and Russia, who are both bad actors on the world stage, with very bad intentions. Doubt they would risk giving that advantage up. Not worth it. 

Actually my post was slightly sarcastic, in response to the OP post "the US could care less about Thailand and SE Asia in general" correct the F-35's would never be sent here for the PM to show his Authoritarian friends from other countries nearby......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coolcarer said:

he belittles western democratic values in favor of China's model where they changed the constitution recently so Xi Jinping can take a third term and effectively stay as president for life. 

There was no debate on this beforehand. 

Does it matter to you whether Xi has a 3rd term or be President for life? How does that affect your life in any way? I’m genuinely curious. It wouldn’t bother me if Biden or Truss or Olaf will be the leaders of their respective countries for the next 50 years.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Pathetic. Questions not directed at you as you have nothing of value to add. Learn to mind your own business.

Learned this from you, the great expert on everything.  Your comments are only valuable to China, the country you staunchly defend.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Does it matter to you whether Xi has a 3rd term or be President for life? How does that affect your life in any way? I’m genuinely curious. It wouldn’t bother me if Biden or Truss or Olaf will be the leaders of their respective countries for the next 50 years.

Since you asked, I think Winnie the Pooh got a bad wrap and while Xi remains in power he will remain banned from the big screens. I may be wrong on that but since you were so genuinely interested in what I think I decided not to keep you in suspense any longer

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2022 at 7:41 PM, Luuk Chaai said:

Biden ?   the  81 million vote man ?   absolute total waste of everyone's time. he' would only fall  asleep in the  middle of the  session..  mumble and mix up his words from his que cards,,  and to send the babbling word salad spewing vice nobody..  ha..  leave her back in Washington to count the  illegal migrants dropped off at her door.

You switched subject and gender mid sentence or what?

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
On 9/30/2022 at 5:41 AM, Luuk Chaai said:

and to send the babbling word salad spewing vice nobody..  ha..  leave her back in Washington to count the  illegal migrants dropped off at her door.

You switched subject and gender mid sentence or what?

Clearly you did not read attentively and notice that Luuk Chaai had switched from the (alas) POTUS to the "vice" potus. 

Thus from ...er...male to (apparently) female.

Don't know about vice, but anyone who saw her trying to savage Justice Kavanaugh at his confirmation hearing will know that she is definitely vicious.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

For sure, the US has the most experience, having caused and fought in more wars than any other country in the last 70 years.

To the collective west, China and Russia are bad actors. To the rest of the world, the US is the bad actor. One man’s freedom fighter is another man’s terrorist. All depends which side of the fence you are on.

Lets see how you feel about that once the Chinese take the place of the US, as the world leader. I don't expect much in the way of foreign aid. Easy to speak of this when you are not faced with tyranny. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

Are you sure or just talking what you think is correct  ....

China Has World’s Largest Navy With 355 Ships and Counting, Says Pentagon .... November 3, 2021

China has the biggest maritime force on the globe with an inventory of about 355 vessels, according to a Defense Department report released Wednesday.

With 355 ships in its fleet, the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) is slated to expand its inventory to 420 ships within the next four years, the Pentagon’s annual China military report estimates. By 2030, the PLAN is expected to have 460 ships.

The 355 estimation accounts for “major surface combatants, submarines, aircraft carriers, ocean-going amphibious ships, mine warfare ships, and fleet auxiliaries,” according to the report, which covers events in 2020.

“This figure does not include 85 patrol combatants and craft that carry anti-ship cruise missiles (ASCMs). … Much of this growth will be in major surface combatants,” the report reads.

China has one long range port. How many does the US have? Most of China's fleet is short range. They are completely out of their depth, compared to the US Navy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Says whom?

I think it's because he's too old to travel long distances, nothing more. 

Biden will be at the G20 meeting in Bali Nov 15-16 where Putin and Xi are supposed to be in attendance too.  Why would Biden want to stick around in Asia for a week just to attend Thailand's hosting of APEC?  Just to talk with this junta government?

I'm not a Biden fan ... 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Lets see how you feel about that once the Chinese take the place of the US, as the world leader. I don't expect much in the way of foreign aid. Easy to speak of this when you are not faced with tyranny. 

I have not seen China interfering in other nation’s internal affairs or to try and instigate regime change so that’s a positive.

As to foreign aid, Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. The west has been doing the former in order to maintain control and dominance. Aid in the form of food and medical supplies solves a short term problem. It does nothing to address and resolve the underlying problems. China has provided a lot of aid in this manner. China also invests in the infrastructure which gives these countries a chance to develop. Some thinks of this as a debt trap. It’s really no different from a bank lending money to an individual to build their own home.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I have not seen China interfering in other nation’s internal affairs or to try and instigate regime change so that’s a positive.

As to foreign aid, Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. The west has been doing the former in order to maintain control and dominance. Aid in the form of food and medical supplies solves a short term problem. It does nothing to address and resolve the underlying problems. China has provided a lot of aid in this manner. China also invests in the infrastructure which gives these countries a chance to develop. Some thinks of this as a debt trap. It’s really no different from a bank lending money to an individual to build their own home.

I challenge you to name just one country that China has helped with infrastructure, without a loan. Bet you cannot. Foreign aid on any level, is an alien concept to them. The CCP is not to be trusted. Go ahead and put faith in them. The future will likely bear out what I am saying. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

"Aid in the form of food and medical supplies solves a short term problem."

Also known as saving lives.

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

As a matter of fact, the United States still maintains nearly 800 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories abroad—from giant “Little Americas” to small radar facilities. Britain, France and Russia, by contrast, have about 30 foreign bases combined.

How many overseas bases does China have? And have you asked yourself why? As heinous as some American policy is, they have been a trusted world leader, and have come to the defense of many a nation. Will the same be said about China? I seriously doubt it. 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/06/us-military-bases-around-the-world-119321/

How many overseas bases does China have? And have you asked yourself why?

China has no wish to try and control other parts of the world. As for defence, I don’t know know how many military bases the US have in Europe alone, including Germany. Is Europe/NATO so weak that they can’t defend themselves against Russia? I think most people understand the real reason why the US have 00 military bases.

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I challenge you to name just one country that China has helped with infrastructure, without a loan. Bet you cannot. Foreign aid on any level, is an alien concept to them. The CCP is not to be trusted. Go ahead and put faith in them. The future will likely bear out what I am saying. 

Why should China or any other country build any infrastructure projects for free? Can you name any bank that is willing to give you money without having to repay it?

You don’t trust the CCP. That’s fine, I don’t have a problem with that at all. Every country does what’s in their best interest.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

"Aid in the form of food and medical supplies solves a short term problem."

Also known as saving lives.

Yup. Nothing wrong with that. China participates as well.

http://www.sais-cari.org/data-chinese-global-foreign-aid

China also sees that more is needed than just pure aid. Investments, particularly in the infrastructure is key to helping many poorer nations to develop. Sadly, not all investments succeed, that’s just the way things are. 

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Yup. Nothing wrong with that. China participates as well.

http://www.sais-cari.org/data-chinese-global-foreign-aid

China also sees that more is needed than just pure aid. Investments, particularly in the infrastructure is key to helping many poorer nations to develop. Sadly, not all investments succeed, that’s just the way things are. 

Happy you agree then that the US does this on a grand scale, as well as provide infrastructure, tools and equipment necessary to help longterm

Over the course of seven decades, the U.S. government and its people have led the global fight against hunger. 

https://www.wfpusa.org/mission-history/

Edited by Bkk Brian

Didn't want repeat of himself wandering alone, lost, no one interested in taking to him, shaking hands with ghosts.

He's so absolutely lost you'd have to be mentally challenged to vote for him in 2024.

They impeached Trump on rubbish changes but the sitting POTUS clearly has diminished capacity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1