Furniture Scam....Powerless

alyx

On 9/30/2022 at 1:21 PM, alyx said:

prove that this business (which I think) is not legitimate.

Unfortunately If this is a scam - for reference from today's Cambodian media (1 October 2022):

"Scam syndicates working on scamming millions of dollars from unsuspecting clientele from Asia, predominantly China, Taipei, Korea, Hong Kong and ASEAN nations have changed their modus operandi after crackdowns by Chinese and related police authorities ............ now scam operators have increased  their recruitment ................................... individuals who were proficient in English..................... put them to labor to scam unsuspecting, gullible or greedy westerners ................................. through various activities."

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501160380/scam-syndicates-change-modus-operandi-now-target-westerners-focusing-less-on-asians/

I sincerely hope your furniture eventually arrives

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yeah get a lawyer to phone, and write to him and put the frighteners on him big time.

Well, kind of done that already, sent him a registered letter and the Police called him twice, But I guess he is good at that game and relies on the fact that people get tired or cannot be bothered putting money down to sue him or... find him. Keep in mind that suing is, often a waste of time because one as to prove that the seller does not intend to deliver which, smartly, he confirms periodically.

1 hour ago, brotherother said:

You should be able to see whether the premises physically exists where the owner says it does by using the 'street view' function on Google Maps. I'd then compare what you see with any photos they have on their Google Reviews, company website, Facebook page, etc.

Good luck.

That is a good idea actually. Mind you the office address and the factory's  might differ but worth a try . Thanks

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I'll be stopping two nights in Khon Kaen November 20-22.  If you haven't resolved anything by then. I'd be happy to see if there is a store there and if they actually carry rattan furniture.  Take some pics etc.  

I'll need an address and name. 

That would be great. It that is not a bother I would highly appreciate. Pretty sure no progress will have been made by then 

I will provide you with the details if you do not mind 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

If you want to take the real risk of being physically close to this unknown person and his place of business (remember if Thai men see a threat to them, are full of guilt and confronted ... simply by your presence there, and their face is compromised they can attack and in numbers) then I'd suggest you go and employ some the local Muay Thai school maybe the principal to help you out to go with you to stand as 'sentinel' and 'persuasion' tool to make the meeting go safely and as leverage to cough up your money.

I learnt here to not buy this way here - EVER but only buy face to face, get proper receipts, and take some happy snaps with the goods and the vendor, shop signage etc as a part of the 'friendly' free advertising' they'll get from my taking pics to post.

This way there's tonnes of evidence as buyer protection and the vendor knows this too. 

Sadly there are a lot of scammers everywhere in this world. Covid has made people desperate too and led to some folks who would have not done anything sleazy in the past to now out of desperation do such stuff.

Thanks. Checking whether the business exists or not is no threats to anyone.

The next step is another matter and police officers would be my fist choice as they would have all the mentioned required qualities : )

I have already started the process involving police and lawyers but did not lead to anything as I have to do the legwork.

Pretty sure the story would take a different path if I was complaining to the police from the concerned district 

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

If you want to take the real risk of being physically close to this unknown person and his place of business (remember if Thai men see a threat to them, are full of guilt and confronted ... simply by your presence there, and their face is compromised they can attack and in numbers) then I'd suggest you go and employ some the local Muay Thai school maybe the principal to help you out to go with you to stand as 'sentinel' and 'persuasion' tool to make the meeting go safely and as leverage to cough up your money.

I learnt here to not buy this way here - EVER but only buy face to face, get proper receipts, and take some happy snaps with the goods and the vendor, shop signage etc as a part of the 'friendly' free advertising' they'll get from my taking pics to post.

This way there's tonnes of evidence as buyer protection and the vendor knows this too. 

Sadly there are a lot of scammers everywhere in this world. Covid has made people desperate too and led to some folks who would have not done anything sleazy in the past to now out of desperation do such stuff.

I would just see if there was an actual store.  Make a few inquiry's.

Definitely nothing confrontational.

16 minutes ago, alyx said:

That would be great. It that is not a bother I would highly appreciate. Pretty sure no progress will have been made by then 

I will provide you with the details if you do not mind 

Ok

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

I would just see if there was an actual store.  Make a few inquiry's.

Definitely nothing confrontational.

And definitely not asking anyone anything of the sort. on this thread. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alyx said:

Hopefully you've got an address.  A Google maps link ???? would be great.

It's not until November. We'll be passing through, staying the night before moving on to Bangkok.  

12 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:
29 minutes ago, alyx said:

It's not until November. We'll be passing through, staying the night before moving on to Bangkok.  

Excellent ‘community’ spirit being prepared to help another forum member out. 

We ‘should’ be prepared to help each other more in similar situations. 

I wonder if there are any forum members already in KK who can take a ride by / drive by the address and take a couple of photos. 

• Like 1

Update regarding the location of this factory 

One of the posters, to whom I provided the address of the shop, mentioned that it is not located in Khon Kaen  but in the Phon district of Khon Kaen, at the very south of the province, on  'Mittraphap Road', leading from Saraburi to Nong Khai. 

So, if anyone lives around there ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 10:31 AM, MrJ2U said:

Hey Thanks again for your proposal. 

I would like to let you know that someone went on site and gave me the details I wanted

Hence no need for you to get there to see the place and I really appreciate your involvement

have a great day 

• Like 1

Hey everyone and thanks for your help 

One kind member of this community took the time to get on site and sent me the update I needed 

As a matter of fact the place does exist but obviously not a "working" factory. 

Next step is to involve the local police 

I will keep you posted (even if the chances to get the money back are slim, I will try to put a stop at this scheme)

And, Martin, thank you so very much 

4 hours ago, alyx said:

Hey Thanks again for your proposal. 

I would like to let you know that someone went on site and gave me the details I wanted

Hence no need for you to get there to see the place and I really appreciate your involvement

have a great day 

Good luck.

Thanks for letting me know.