What did Thais do before smart phones?

BangkokReady

11 hours ago, jwest10 said:

Ask the younger ones what is happening in Country and overseas they probably could not answer.

But ask what Daeng or Lek had for breakfast and they'll know, they saw it on Facebook on their phone!  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What did people working in shops, waiting at bus stops, on a break from their job, etc., do before the smart phone?

Eat, Eat and Eat!

Go into any shopping mall, at any time of the day, and the staff are too busy stuffing their faces to serve!

Did I mention, Eat!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When the BTS first opened I recall people would read books...  most commonly ‘comic type’ books... 

Rather than the magazine type comics we are used to in the West, they are actual books... with story-board type layout. These are also very popular in Japan. 

I recall going to Au Bon Pain and reading the paper... Bangkok Post... The Nation and also BK Magazine and The BigChilli magazine (stocked in some areas). 

Those are called "manga".

OP must be very young not to know what people did before the phone mania began.

As for Thai people, they did what anyone else in the world did without the stupid phones smartphones, except they seemed to have far more public phones available than in any other country I was ever in.

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Well, did you (mind)?????

At that time, I didn't care, and I didn't mind. ????

And probably by now I would still tell her to watch her soap opera. Because if she wouldn't watch it, she would not be happy and probably speculating what happens in the soap opera. So, she would also be distracted and unhappy. Go ahead ... 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

At that time, I didn't care, and I didn't mind. ????

And probably by now I would still tell her to watch her soap opera. Because if she wouldn't watch it, she would not be happy and probably speculating what happens in the soap opera. So, she would also be distracted and unhappy. Go ahead ... 

What was it like?  $crewing a corpse?  No KY?  Difficult job, no?

2 hours ago, blazes said:

Well, did you (mind)?????

Having sex with a Thai woman while she was watching tv would probably have been more exciting than sex with my western female partner. I used to wonder why love/ sex in movies was so much more passionate than what I got, till I realised they were being paid to fake it.

• Haha 2

Maybe people think of smartphones as android / iPhone.

If my memory isn’t too clouded, in the 2000s I had a palm titanium that was linked to my Sony Ericsson mobile phone via BT. Even 20 odd years ago, Thais were very early adopters of windows mobile phones. Panthip was full of windows phones. Way more than you would see in the UK.

So although I visited before then, I don’t remember what people did before smartphones because there was always some kind of mobile computer here.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I forgot how upset you get by people pointing out your mistakes. I'll reply to whomever I want thanks. ????‍♂️

and what mistake did I make exactly?

Edited by Bluespunk

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Don't know why they are called smart phones when using programs like tik tok, etc their mentality is actually moving backwards.

Perhaps because they come off smarter than the user.  Include myself in that equation.  Which is why I have returned to a Nokia 3310 without data.  Understand they can be useful for many people - but for selfies/social media?  Expect artificial robots will soon be more social than humans if it continues.

3 hours ago, blazes said:

What was it like?  $crewing a corpse?  No KY?  Difficult job, no?

Do you really think I remember the details after > 20 years?

She wasn't so exiting that I visited her again. But at that time I had at least one girl a day for a purple. The good old times.