What did Thais do before smart phones?

BangkokReady

40 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Not just Thailand, it's the whole world.

Thailand love your sense of humour and agree with you 200 per cent.
Even when out in the car the youngsters still on their phones and never take in the beautiful places and not just in Thailand but even when younger family and friends would not speak much but remember people talked a lot in the pubs and yes we also found out things by enquiring.
Ask the younger ones what is happening in Country and overseas they probably could not answer.

In these days of course modern technology and personal contract is not in evidence at all and get any customer support and actually talk to a human being very very rare, if at all.
But to be fair the older person put their mobile phone on (if it is not on already) first thing in the morning and yeah on loudspeaker.!!!

Edited by jwest10
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Not just Thailand, it's the whole world.

Sure, the whole world has been changed by smartphones. But Thai people even now have different pastimes to what we have back home. Safe to assume the things they did before smartphones were different also.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

One of best progressing tech ever.  Can carry you phone, instant telegraph, computer, scanner, newspaper, camera better than most point & shoots, all your maps, GPS, compass, encyclopedia, weather report all in a hand held device.

What's not to like ... lets be honest, is it really that different ?  Or just easier, and cleaner.

image.png.653535a9f202fea4029a5c4ebfc20536.png

Yes, love the phtograph and then talk to friends and family what they have already seen before but a talking point.

Well years ago in Phuket it was party, sometimes transferred to the beach to watch the sun come up, drink until you needed to sleep after a little light exercise, pool/snooker, dominoes, darts, yes and connect 4

Converse with the new arrivals, sort out food, never a phone in sight 

Good enjoyable times 

Now probably spend as much time on my phone as the kids do

"Chained to my desktop" ???? where do these Dreamworld ideas originate.

• Haha 1

The grapevine was perfect.

In 1996 I had a gf in G-Spot in Nana. She knew I was in Nana before I could make it to her bar which was maybe 100m away from the entrance. At that time the girls had the perfect communication network - without mobile phones or any technology.

I also remember my first visit in a Thai massage place with lots of girls in the fishbowl watching Thai soap opera. I picked a girl and we went up the stairs to a room. The first thing she asked me if I mind if she continues to watch the soap opera on the TV in the room while I f@$#%$ her...

And that was the time when we saw each other and agreed when we see each other again. Like: I see you tomorrow 2pm at the beach entrance of Royal Garden. And she was there, because there was no mobile phone to confirm or cancel or anything like that.

And last but not least: When the girlfriend was for a week up country she was there up country without any communication. We could go out and no phone calls or messages at night: where are you? And obviously also no updates to her from her friends that her boyfriend was just seen here and there.

Very different times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

One of best progressing tech ever.  Can carry you phone, instant telegraph, computer, scanner, newspaper, camera better than most point & shoots, all your maps, GPS, compass, encyclopedia, weather report all in a hand held device.

What's not to like ... lets be honest, is it really that different ?  Or just easier, and cleaner.

image.png.653535a9f202fea4029a5c4ebfc20536.png

True

Book flight n hotel

Use map

Pay a bill

Camera

Post on a forum lol

I got a tablet too. Its just a big phone without the phone. Better for charts.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

When I first came to Thailand in 1984 I lived in Prachinburi, near Khao Yai.

In the city center, there was one place that had a telephone (landline).

No mobile phones at all.

My first thought was this must be heaven on earth. (Long before Khao Yai was developed with footpaths)

This was long before western advertising and marketing set in.

Thai's were extremely curious and super friendly.

Always lots of people everywhere, meeting, chatting, eating together, etc.

In my area there was no negativity towards foreigners at that time.

I think in general, people were just generally out and about a whole lot more, visiting the sites and just being outdoors.

Was the most wonderful time to be in Thailand; nothing like today.

The whole world is a lot different now. 38 years ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm sure that before smartphones they did indeed do what they did before smartphones.  I was simply hoping to get a little first hand knowledge of what that was.

Then why not focus on the replies given by those who claim to know?

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

How would you know how much focus I gave each comment?

I have read all the comments carefully and greatly enjoyed hearing about Thailand before smartphones.

And yet you are focused on this bickering exchange because my reply wasn’t what you wanted to hear. 

• Like 1