Alcohol sales ban for end of Buddhist Lent Day on Monday, October 10th

webfact

On 10/3/2022 at 1:21 PM, mikeymike100 said:

Once you have cleared customs, the alcohol/bottles can be consumed anywhere, in the airport, in a taxi, or even wait until you get to your hotel room! My point is it invalidates the fact you cannot buy alcohol on 10th October!

Illegal to drink in a taxi, max fine 2k

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, djayz said:

I got 3 bottles in yesterday, 7th, but drank it all the same evening. LOL. Now I have to go out again this evening and stock up - again! Hope I don't down all 3 bottles of beer again tonight. LOL

Was that three small or large bottles? 555

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Although you may be correct, I have drank beer in the back of a taxi and the driver couldn't care less. Lots of things are "illegal" in Thailand but the chances of anybody doing anything about it are zero.

Until they do. ????

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I sell the cans at the recycling shop it's a win win situation, almost paying me to drink

Christ the recycler must be losing big style. BS

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I always buy in bulk at Makro.  Save money & then when I sell the cans at the recycling shop it's a win win situation, almost paying me to drink ????

You will have to drink a shed full of beer ,to be able to sell the cans to buy some more beer.

The wife sold a lot of cans 3 weeks ago for recycling, she got 1 baht/kg ,you need a lot of cans for 1 kg ,hardly a win win situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 3:18 PM, 2baht said:

Well this will upset the p... tanks again, but of course you all bought yesterday, did'nt you! ????????

You can just go to the mom & pop stores in the back alleys.  They will still sell booze to you.

Edited by shdmn

On 10/3/2022 at 6:30 AM, Skeptic7 said:

More ridiculous, antiquated religious, mumbo-jumbo nonsense. Oh wait...TIT so just another day and standard operating procedures. LOSR... Land Of Silly Rules. :coffee1:

They're is good reason for this. 

Many alcoholics become monks for 3 months and when they leave there is a very high chance they will immediately slip. 

Try having a sober day, if you can't, you could be an alcoholic. 

I couldn't drink in Scotland on a Sunday when I was young., do you call there Land of silly rules? 

Chill out and learn to meditate instead of bashing others.  Love and let live, as your Jesus preached. 

On 10/3/2022 at 10:06 AM, arithai12 said:

Do we really need these Thai-bashing posts at every Buddhist holiday?

Especially from people who talk about "the rest of the world" without having any clue.

Quite. I am not a religious person but those that are should be entitled to some respect for their religious beliefs.

Unfortunatley many on here have little respect for anything other than their own selfish views. Anything that may inconvience the foreigner is totally unacceptable.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I couldn't drink in Scotland on a Sunday when I was young., do you call there Land of silly rules?

I remember those days. On a Sunday evening they used to run a bus from Forres to Brodie, about 5 miles away in the next county, as alcohol could be sold to travellers.

Pubs used to open at 5pm and close at 9pm. Many workers went straight to the pub from work, then went home and beat up the wife when the dinner was in the bin.

Silly rules indeed.

• Love It 1

On 10/3/2022 at 10:04 AM, Dr B said:

Duty free shops at international airports are basically for departing passengers, and not for immediate consumption. Is that so hard to understand?

In Bangkok and Dubai, both of which I'm familiar with, sales outlets are in the arrivals area too. I have little doubt that many, if not most, airports are the same. Of course, if you buy at Bangkok airports you are extremely naïve as, while in most counties you pay less at duty free shops, in Thailand you do the opposite.

On 10/4/2022 at 9:42 AM, superal said:

I would think that the no alcohol rules were made many years ago when there where not many tourists , if any , so why should the rules apply to non- Buddhists . Tourists should be allowed a drink in their hotel . Finally do the powers that be not realise that alcohol is drank at home ? so in reality it only a ban on selling alcohol not the consumption . There is no ban on your daily tipple , you may have to make different arrangements rather than visiting regular haunts .

It is a law that needs reviewing and consideration given to tourists .

You're looking for logic in Thailand? Come on! And I have little doubt that hotels ignore the rule for their guests too, as they ignore the no-sales outside of the 11-2 window that the law allows. Laws in Thailand are just for show and are rarely applied as most are unenforceable. Did you know it is illegal to smoke in your own home since the current government took power, for example?

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Quite. I am not a religious person but those that are should be entitled to some respect for their religious beliefs.

Unfortunatley many on here have little respect for anything other than their own selfish views. Anything that may inconvience the foreigner is totally unacceptable.

What annoys me is that these selfish bashers cause good members to leave. 

Once, there were many posters who loved Thailand, tried to learn the language etc, now, cantankerous bashers. 

The Thai language Forum, which is now dead, used to be one of the busiest, now it's the news, with many criticising the PM, and other institutions on a daily basis. I studied they live in Nakon Nowhere, can't talk to their neighbours and let out their frustration here. 

• Like 1