Alcohol sales ban for end of Buddhist Lent Day on Monday, October 10th

webfact

53 minutes ago, SymS said:

I like how duty-free shops at international airports get a pass...

Duty free shops at international airports are basically for departing passengers, and not for immediate consumption. Is that so hard to understand?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I have always thought Thailand is like 60 years behind the rest of the modern world. Laundrettes, department stores, and limiting alcohol sales. Give it another 60 years you may be able to buy a beer on a bank holiday !

Or,  the way things are going buy a bank on a beer holiday.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I have always thought Thailand is like 60 years behind the rest of the modern world. Laundrettes, department stores, and limiting alcohol sales. Give it another 60 years you may be able to buy a beer on a bank holiday !

Which bank holidays are alcohol free ?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I came into Suvarnabhumi 3 days ago and incoming passengers can also buy alcohol. So its not just for departing passengers, is it?

But they won't be consuming in the airport (unless Russian) and the bottle will be opened in another country. Too lol

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

As has been mentioned here on Thai visa many times buy alcohol before the Buddhist lent holiday or any other non alcohol day 

It's  not to difficult ????

Having beer at home in the fridge is no good to me, the 10th is not a public holiday so won't be able to stop at the 7 and buy a coupla cans for the drive home.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BonMot said:

But they won't be consuming in the airport (unless Russian) and the bottle will be opened in another country. Too lol

Once you have cleared customs, the alcohol/bottles can be consumed anywhere, in the airport, in a taxi, or even wait until you get to your hotel room! My point is it invalidates the fact you cannot buy alcohol on 10th October!

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

It will be business as usual in our village. Our local shop is owned by the Wife's Uncle who once told me that when the Government pays for his family to live they can tell him what to sell, and when to sell it.....

.....and this is usually the practice locally. These ridiculous restrictions are ignored. 

Even when the government and abiding media are terribly conscious in the promotion and references to these occasional bans, it's almost always the unknowledgeable that take it literally and the proverbial debate and critique ensue. It's the magical and twisted Thai rhetoric that throws 'em off kilter......which is almost always the case regarding most everything. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Hmm, according to the ASEAN NOW calendar Buddhist Lent is the 21st October - I've already planned my alcohol storage after that date...???? - whom to believe...:whistling:

Try looking at a Thai calendar, it is 10th October,as the OP said 15 day, when the moon is full, of the 11th waxing moon. or month on the calendar.

But where we are, people will go to the Tempel on the 11th to celebrate the end of the Thai lent.  

I would think that the no alcohol rules were made many years ago when there where not many tourists , if any , so why should the rules apply to non- Buddhists . Tourists should be allowed a drink in their hotel . Finally do the powers that be not realise that alcohol is drank at home ? so in reality it only a ban on selling alcohol not the consumption . There is no ban on your daily tipple , you may have to make different arrangements rather than visiting regular haunts .

It is a law that needs reviewing and consideration given to tourists .

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, kickstart said:

Try looking at a Thai calendar, it is 10th October,as the OP said 15 day, when the moon is full, of the 11th waxing moon. or month on the calendar.

But where we are, people will go to the Tempel on the 11th to celebrate the end of the Thai lent.  

Try to look at the ASEAN NOW calendar - it's wrong - and that's what I'm saying, Lent is ending the 10th October...:thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2022 at 5:55 AM, 2baht said:

Be sure to get your stocks in on the 9th! ????

I got 3 bottles in yesterday, 7th, but drank it all the same evening. LOL. Now I have to go out again this evening and stock up - again! Hope I don't down all 3 bottles of beer again tonight. LOL