Renewing Debit Card and Passbook at Bangkok Bank

Thanks for that, feel a bit better but not counting my chickens yet 5555.  Haven't been there in a while / card expired Feb 2021 / home branch in Korat and was going to get a new card next month in Pattaya and was feeling the same as you before entering 555.  At least I have my book and 3-4 empty pages so maybe I will make out okay too....but of course we'll see as TIT!!!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

If you've moved, why don't you just open a new account where you live and close the old one, it would save you the worry.

Good to see your transactions were successful, I wouldn't hold my breath that this will be repeated elsewhere, unfortunately.

Opening a new account can  be "challenging"

• Like 1

As a further "heads up"   The Bangkok Bank branch opposite Kap Choeng immigration has now closed! ( it has been taken over by the "farmers bank") for anybody requiring statements etc, the nearest branch is now in "Prasat"  approx 30 km away

For anything other than trivial stuff they usually sent you onwards to your origin branch so this is a welcomed change. At one point, like changing phone number for OTP, they were - reluctantly and with a lot of tutting - faxing documents to the origin branch which they would execute in some unknown amount of days - of course despite dozens of pages faxed nothing was ever executed days later.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

Incorrect.  It depends on the branch.  I have not long been through this in Kalasin because my a/c was in Bangkok.  And its not simply a matter of opening a new a/c.  You must have a long term visa letter from Immigration (500 baht in brown envelope), 

This is going to be one of those "yes you can", "no, you cant" kind of posts.  Amazing Thailand!

That is why I ended my post with " it worked for me on the day "  nothing is certain here

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was once explained to me, at Bangkok Bank's head office which is my home branch, that I can go to any branch for passbook and ATM card renewals - as long as my passport is still the same one that they have on record. With a new passport, however, I'd need to come to my home branch for them to update their records.

I don't know if this is actually the case, but when I previously updated my passport details with them, the clerk pulled my paper records and they did still have copies of all my passports since I had opened the account. Quite a thick folder.

So who knows. My passport is full every 3-4 years, so I usually do it all in one go - let them update their records, get a new passbook and a new ATM card.

Completely different experience with Kasikorn Bank. I've never been back to my home branch and I still have my original passbook. I never update it and they've never pushed for me to get a new one. When I have a new passport, they simply update their computer records (at whatever branch I visit).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Caldera said:

It was once explained to me, at Bangkok Bank's head office which is my home branch, that I can go to any branch for passbook and ATM card renewals - as long as my passport is still the same one that they have on record. With a new passport, however, I'd need to come to my home branch for them to update their records.

I don't know if this is actually the case, but when I previously updated my passport details with them, the clerk pulled my paper records and they did still have copies of all my passports since I had opened the account. Quite a thick folder.

So who knows. My passport is full every 3-4 years, so I usually do it all in one go - let them update their records, get a new passbook and a new ATM card.

Completely different experience with Kasikorn Bank. I've never been back to my home branch and I still have my original passbook. I never update it and they've never pushed for me to get a new one. When I have a new passport, they simply update their computer records (at whatever branch I visit).

I have heard from others that Kasikorn is generally a bit more user friendly

Had a conversation with BKK Bank HQ on this before - you can change your ATM at ANY branch, however, that's only true if all your documents are in order. If your passport has changed, you have to go to original branch where you opened the account as other branches won't be able to update your record. Now when you ask for new ATM card, you need to give them your documents to confirm your identity. Really only thing that's in the system is your passport number. If that's changed, then... well, sorry - go to original branch. But once that's updated, you can again use any branch.

The original branch where I opened the account did mention I could have updated it at the HQ, but that wasn't mentioned in call with the HQ, so... maybe next time.

Sideline comment: I had 1 year expired ATM card from KBank. But with updated documents. No problem to have a new one issued at another branch, even previous one expired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

This is also my experience with Bangkok Bank.  I live in Bangkok but had to visit the branch in Pattaya where I opened the account.

Banking like a box of chocolate you never know what you are going to get. 

Last time like the poster a bit of problem last month needed a new book and car girl was great and helpful told me for my age I look young and strong?  How strong I did a dozen push-up for her right there told her she too young for me but my son is 23 although he is already married said his wife is useless like him to trade up LOL.

Now when I go in she ask how you doing papa how's your son doing Damn! 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My experience with Bangkok Bank is you must go to the home branch for any new debit card .

I was there yesterday to obtain a new card and interestingly there was no charge as i kept the original pin number .

Two previous occasions i have had a new card using the  same pin cost me 100 baht .

I mentioned that to the lady saying you owe me 200 baht . Of course i just received a smirk .

I also asked for a second account . A woman came out saying foreigners can not have more than one account . 

Then a second woman came out and said yes you can have a fixed term account as well . But you have to come with a embassy letter.

I am some what confused what the embassy has to inform them on , plus why ask for more information when i have a savings account with them .

Perhaps I try Kasikorn Bank as many say they are more user friendly .

I have never had a problem at Bangkok Bank.  I also have an account at Krungsri  with never a problem.  I have had issues with two government banks in the past, so I just closed me accounts there.  By the way, whenever I go to a bank, a government office, or any Thai business, I always speak Thai and I find it helps.  Even if my wife is present, I do all the speaking.

Being we are on the subject of Thai Banks and issue of receiving replacement bank pass books and ATM cards. I have question. Has anyone at any Bank in Thailand had a problem of getting issued a Debit Card for a Joint Savings account? I have had a Joint savings account at Krungthai Bank for 26 years with a ATM card in my name, my name is listed first in the book and word "OR" and my wife's listed second. The other day I could not use my ATM card to add money to top up my Dtac sim card. I went to different branch of bank the account, and told them the card did not work. I gave them my card which Exp 12/24 and asked to fix the problem they asked for my Pass book Which showed that it was a joint account and they told me NO Joint savings account can be issue a ATM card, yet I have had a  ATM card for the last 26 years and they had just charged me in 18 Dec 2021  200 baht for the yearly ATM card fee? I did go to the issuing branch bank and was told the same thing, this after I had called the HQ and asked them and they said I could get a replacement card for ATM PromptCard.  I told my branch this they call then called the HQ and got told by a different person No, I talked the person explained everything to her and she said shed check it out after listing to the tape recording of my first call to the HQ and call me back, she did return the call and stills said No the other lady was wrong in what she told me. I check the On-Lime Info for being issued ATM PromptCard. For the other ATM card Pearl ect: it stated no ATM for joint accounts, but for the  ATM PromptCard nothing said Only requirements were age 15, deposit in 500 Baht, copy of ID and a current saving account. I'm in long talks with the HQ how. They are getting with legal department on this issue. I'll let you known the out come. By the way I have  ATM cards with joint saving account with Kasikornbank two year old account and Bangkok Bank 31 year account.

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Had a conversation with BKK Bank HQ on this before - you can change your ATM at ANY branch, however, that's only true if all your documents are in order. If your passport has changed, you have to go to original branch where you opened the account as other branches won't be able to update your record. Now when you ask for new ATM card, you need to give them your documents to confirm your identity. Really only thing that's in the system is your passport number. If that's changed, then... well, sorry - go to original branch. But once that's updated, you can again use any branch.

The original branch where I opened the account did mention I could have updated it at the HQ, but that wasn't mentioned in call with the HQ, so... maybe next time.

Sideline comment: I had 1 year expired ATM card from KBank. But with updated documents. No problem to have a new one issued at another branch, even previous one expired.

So further evidence of inconsistency, About 5 years ago my card was chewed up by an ATM and I managed to get a new card at not my "home" branch despite me using a different passport than the one I was carrying when i opened the account   So obviously no real need to return to original branch at all ! They will tell you anything if they don't want to deal with you, it is not necessarily true

7 hours ago, CM Dad said:

I have never had a problem at Bangkok Bank.  I also have an account at Krungsri  with never a problem.  I have had issues with two government banks in the past, so I just closed me accounts there.  By the way, whenever I go to a bank, a government office, or any Thai business, I always speak Thai and I find it helps.  Even if my wife is present, I do all the speaking.

of course speaking Thai helps, but its still better to leave "her" outside

5 hours ago, Dickp said:

Being we are on the subject of Thai Banks and issue of receiving replacement bank pass books and ATM cards. I have question. Has anyone at any Bank in Thailand had a problem of getting issued a Debit Card for a Joint Savings account? I have had a Joint savings account at Krungthai Bank for 26 years with a ATM card in my name, my name is listed first in the book and word "OR" and my wife's listed second. The other day I could not use my ATM card to add money to top up my Dtac sim card. I went to different branch of bank the account, and told them the card did not work. I gave them my card which Exp 12/24 and asked to fix the problem they asked for my Pass book Which showed that it was a joint account and they told me NO Joint savings account can be issue a ATM card, yet I have had a  ATM card for the last 26 years and they had just charged me in 18 Dec 2021  200 baht for the yearly ATM card fee? I did go to the issuing branch bank and was told the same thing, this after I had called the HQ and asked them and they said I could get a replacement card for ATM PromptCard.  I told my branch this they call then called the HQ and got told by a different person No, I talked the person explained everything to her and she said shed check it out after listing to the tape recording of my first call to the HQ and call me back, she did return the call and stills said No the other lady was wrong in what she told me. I check the On-Lime Info for being issued ATM PromptCard. For the other ATM card Pearl ect: it stated no ATM for joint accounts, but for the  ATM PromptCard nothing said Only requirements were age 15, deposit in 500 Baht, copy of ID and a current saving account. I'm in long talks with the HQ how. They are getting with legal department on this issue. I'll let you known the out come. By the way I have  ATM cards with joint saving account with Kasikornbank two year old account and Bangkok Bank 31 year account.

Better to avoid "joint" accounts completely  

7 hours ago, itsari said:

My experience with Bangkok Bank is you must go to the home branch for any new debit card .

I was there yesterday to obtain a new card and interestingly there was no charge as i kept the original pin number .

Two previous occasions i have had a new card using the  same pin cost me 100 baht .

I mentioned that to the lady saying you owe me 200 baht . Of course i just received a smirk .

I also asked for a second account . A woman came out saying foreigners can not have more than one account . 

Then a second woman came out and said yes you can have a fixed term account as well . But you have to come with a embassy letter.

I am some what confused what the embassy has to inform them on , plus why ask for more information when i have a savings account with them .

Perhaps I try Kasikorn Bank as many say they are more user friendly .

there is no limit as to how many accounts a foreigner can have, Its unbelievable that some woman can make such a statement and be  unchallenged by other staff, absolutely unbelievable ! 

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So further evidence of inconsistency, About 5 years ago my card was chewed up by an ATM and I managed to get a new card at not my "home" branch despite me using a different passport than the one I was carrying when i opened the account   So obviously no real need to return to original branch at all ! They will tell you anything if they don't want to deal with you, it is not necessarily true

Interesting. Maybe upcountry bank officers don't know the rules? The above was quoted to me as Bank policy and just happened in 2020. Though my card didn't get chewed up, merely popped up a message saying that card is about to expire...

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

there is no limit as to how many accounts a foreigner can have, Its unbelievable that some woman can make such a statement and be  unchallenged by other staff, absolutely unbelievable ! 

I thank you for your input .

I have written to the Bangkok bank explaining what was said.

My main reason for asking for a second bank account is to reduce the savings in my account that I am using every day.

Its bizarre that so many people have been told different stories by junior members of the bank staff, Almost as if they are joking with us,  maybe we should insist on speaking to a senior MALE member of staff many of the older females have a chip on their menopausal shoulder.  

11 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Interesting. Maybe upcountry bank officers don't know the rules? The above was quoted to me as Bank policy and just happened in 2020. Though my card didn't get chewed up, merely popped up a message saying that card is about to expire...

I would go as far as to say NONE of them know the rules , its not important, as when dealing with foreigners  there is no need to fear a reprimand from above, when misleading us lot. Banks were always a bit aloof in the UK years ago, Its a bit different nowadays.   These people are still living in the past

I find the upstairs level of the BKK BANK Bangkapi branch most helpful.

This is the Cards/Passbook/Foreign transaction section.

Replacement card was not a problem, that particular account is with this branch.

The girl offered me water, the visit wasn't rushed but relaxed and friendly,

I would have loved to have seen her without her mask on.

I've had many experiences at the Exchange Tower branch as well, all successful however the room is small and always crowded and kinda rushed but convenient.

My local branch in a Big C (upcountry) has closed down...   I'm wondering if this is becoming a trend?  

I'm surprised one of those ten signatures was not an amendment authorising upgrade to one of the more expensive debit cards.

Filthy bank that will stooge you at every opportunity.

The fastest easiest thing i ever did with them in 12 years was closing my account. Surprisingly 

• Like 1