Many Areas Of Bangkok Flooded After Torrential Rain

webfact

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

In the Netherlands, yes below sea level, we don't have flooding in rain time, or when melting the snow from mountains in other countries.

But the differents with Thailand is the Netherlands made sure that couldn't happen again, that costs money but you have to pay for it.

I have a cousin living in Valkenburg in the Netherlands. In July last year his house was completely flooded - huge floods even destroyed a bridge in the city.

• Like 1

It's a massive river delta ... what ya' gunna' do?  Been happening for many decades.

Same as the amazing river delta region of Kerala in India.

I'd be curious for the historians, to confirm or deny, if the removal of traditional canals and 'traditional' old waterways increased the flooding? 

Solution to the last 40 years of flooding (that's my period of witnessing it in my memory): Let's build more right in the middle of the delta.

It's gunna' get really interesting as the planet continues to warm and rains become heavier, droughts stronger, and shift to different regions of the planet. I'll be long gone and dead by the time it gets to the point of massive wars breaking out over the water and arable land (like we have now over fossil fuels). 

Maldives, Micronesia, and many other low lying places are gunna see their entire small paradise nations disappear in the near future. Venice is seeing another level of water inundation trouble last years and is sinking because of the sheer weight of man-made structures. 

Edited by Tropposurfer

10 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

For the last 11 years I’ve been living in Thailand this seems to happen every year I don’t think they’ll ever fix it TIT

The last time it was in 2011 and back then I lived out of BKK. Many people came to my place escaping the floods. In average this happens every 10 years so it is time to happen now.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:06 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Thailand could learn a thing or two about locks and levies to move water around and protect the inner areas, but they will not spend the money.  

The real problem is that a large chunk of any money allocated ,will be diverted for the gratification of  those supporting Mercedes Benz and Mia Nois !

Most of the super rich live in BKK....you have to go there to get super rich.   It has everything.  The super rich can escape BKK easy.

Flooding is certainly a problem for the poor.  If poor, don't live in BKK.  You cannot enjoy what BKK has to offer.....like looking at Ferraris Monday and taking a helicopter across town for a caviar lunch.   If I was poor and Thai, I would never be in this flooded area.   

Go to Chiang Mai with 100,000 baht of stuff bought from China, sell to falang for 800,000.  Happens every week.  Then get rich and go back to BKK.  

On 10/4/2022 at 8:02 AM, Peterphuket said:

In the Netherlands, yes below sea level, we don't have flooding in rain time, or when melting the snow from mountains in other countries.

But the differents with Thailand is the Netherlands made sure that couldn't happen again, that costs money but you have to pay for it.

Someone always makes this genius comment - the Netherlands doesn't flood from rain.  There's a slight difference between the amount of rain that Thailand gets and the amount of rain the NL gets.  The NL has an annual average rainfall of only 790mm which is tiny, and it is spread almost perfectly evenly across the year.  .  Bangkok gets 1,500m minimum with most of it falling in just 5-6 months of the year, so the  volume of water falling is several orders of magnitude higher.

Dump Monday night's rainfall on a Dutch city and see what happens.  Dump the last three months' rainfall in any Dutch city and it would be carnage.  Similarly if Thailand only had to deal with the small amount of rainfall that the Netherlands gets you wouldn't even get puddles.

It is really quite a ridiculous comparison to make.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Someone always makes this genius comment - the Netherlands doesn't flood from rain.  There's a slight difference between the amount of rain that Thailand gets and the amount of rain the NL gets.  The NL has an annual average rainfall of only 790mm which is tiny, and it is spread almost perfectly evenly across the year.  .  Bangkok gets 1,500m minimum with most of it falling in just 5-6 months of the year, so the  volume of water falling is several orders of magnitude higher.

Dump Monday night's rainfall on a Dutch city and see what happens.  Dump the last three months' rainfall in any Dutch city and it would be carnage.  Similarly if Thailand only had to deal with the small amount of rainfall that the Netherlands gets you wouldn't even get puddles.

It is really quite a ridiculous comparison to make.

Of course you are right with what you say, and it is not the rain who gives the problems but the storms we endure. that reminds me of 1953 with  storm in combination with spring tide, 1936 people passed away in a area of 2000 square meter.

There is no such thing in LOS.

Don't start about the Tsunami that is of a completely different order.

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

Of course you are right with what you say, and it is not the rain who gives the problems but the storms we endure. that reminds me of 1953 with  storm in combination with spring tide, 1936 people passed away in a area of 2000 square meter.

There is no such thing in LOS.

Don't start about the Tsunami that is of a completely different order.

correction: 1836 people died.