Female motorcyclist crushed to death in alleged hit and run in Sri Racha

snoop1130

5FD648CE-9625-41A8-98A3-3B8E5ADFBB62-696x392.jpeg

PHOTO: ประชาชาตินิวส์ ทีวี ภูมิภาค

A 32-year-old woman was crushed to death after her motorbike collided with a truck that reportedly fled after an incident in Sri Racha.

At 8 PM on October 3rd, Sri Racha rescue services rushed to assist a Thai woman who suffered serious head injuries after her red Honda Scoopy I motorbike was crashed by a six-wheeled truck on the Map Iang-Laem Chabang road in the Nong Kham subdistrict of Sri Racha, Chonburi.

The woman was in a factory worker’s uniform, identified as Saithan Hongthong, 32. She was found on the road with a crumpled helmet and a pool of blood. An unnamed eyewitness said he saw a truck crashing into a woman and then speeding away. Unfortunately, the eyewitness did not see the license plate.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/10/04/female-motorcyclist-crushed-to-death-in-alleged-hit-and-run-in-sri-racha/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

16 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

RIP - a horrific way to go....

It does make one wonder how these things happen. 

Not wishing to victim blame of course, but I do cringe when seeing so many motorcyclists placing themselves directly in the line of fire, most commonly undercutting a turning lorry.

I’m not saying the poor deceased lady put herself in the line of fire, but I am pointing out that many do. 

Expand  

What a wild hypothetical guess.

Many just get plain run over if you understand Thailand.

IF YOU understand ‘Thailand’ you’ll realise that the ‘hypothesis’ is not a hypothesis at all but a day to day observation of motorcyclists Thailand - if you’ve not witnessed this behaviour of motorcyclists in Thailand you ether do not drive here or don’t pay attention....  There have been numerous such incidents posted with videos on this forum.

Daily, I see motorcyclists ’squeezing’ up the inside of motorists in cars, delivery trucks and lorries...  

This is why when turning left I have to come to a near standstill for the inevitable motorcyclist that has tried to squeeze up the inside... it happens all the time. 

Again: I have to repeat I’m not making the suggestion that this is what happened to the deceased and she may well have been ‘run over’ by lorry which didn’t see her, didn’t stop for her or give way for her...   But, we don’t know that either. 

Did the lorry driver ‘escape the scene’ ??? did he even know he’d hit a motorcyclist ?... it seems many do not, as is the common story on other reports we read on in the news... motorcyclists flattened, the lorry driver unaware he’d run over someone and though it was a bump in the road etc... 

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Fleeing an accident is despicable cowardice.

Did the lorry driver even know he’d been involved in an incident ???

As tragical and sad as it is, he could easily have just thought something was a bump in the road and he thought nothing more of it...  

I’m not defending the lorry driver, but neither am I hanging him high - he may not be at fault and may well not have known anything about the incident.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
8 hours ago, Wiggy said:

No wonder the helmet didn’t help. It looks like it was only made of plastic and styrofoam. No standards, no QC, no chance.
RIP young lady. image.jpeg.c1ac81604b2e0ac4d45589e70ca71531.jpeg

Definitely not a DOT approved helmet like I use from the US.

I doubt any helmet can withstand the weight of a lorry... 

Edited by richard_smith237

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I doubt any helmet can withstand the weight of a lorry... 

Very true, but at least it would not completely collapse if you have looked at any studies.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/motorcycle-safety/choose-right-motorcycle-helmet

https://www.headsdontbounce.com/motorcycle-helmets/dot-certification/

The DOT test then comprises 3 parts:

• Impact Attenuation Test: The helmet is subjected to impacts from a flat anvil and a round anvil at 4 sites on the helmet with 2 impacts per site. There is a ‘test line’ which is around ⅓ of the way down from the top of the helmet and the testers can test any site as long as it is above this line.
    The standard specifies precisely the drop height, impact speed, weight of the drop assembly including the weight of the test headform.
    The standard further describes the composition of both anvils as well as specifications of the anvil impact face.
  • Penetration Test: A pointed striker is dropped in a guided free-fall onto various sites on the helmet. There are two penetration strikes which must be at least 3 inches apart.
    The standard specifies the height for the free-fall, the precise weight of the striker, and clearly describes the specifications of the point of the striker.
  • Retention Strap Test: This test is to ensure that the retention strap does not stretch more than 2.54cm (1 inch). The helmet is secured to a stationary test headform to ensure that it does not move during the testing. First, a 50 pound load is applied to the retention system for 30 seconds. Then, an additional 250 pound load is added for a period of 120 seconds. After each test the maximum distance is measured between the extremity of the retention strap and the uppermost point of the helmet.

38 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Very true, but at least it would not completely collapse

Even under such a large vehicle?

The best helmet on planet earth would not have helped her in this instance.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wiggy said:

No wonder the helmet didn’t help. It looks like it was only made of plastic and styrofoam. No standards, no QC, no chance.
RIP young lady. image.jpeg.c1ac81604b2e0ac4d45589e70ca71531.jpeg

About as useful as a "Cadburys cream egg"

43 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Impressive, wonder what sort of helmet it was?

Probably a helmet that was of quality construction.  I have been on the scene of many a motorcycle accident with cars, trucks and big rigs where the helmets withstood the impact from the vehicle, even after being run over, sorry to say the body itself of the deceased did not hold up as well.  Of course that was in the US.