Raising rear shocks on a 2016 Forza

Kenny202

Noticed today bike scraping a bit with Mrs on the back and rear shocks set to lowest (softest) setting. You tube video, easy fix spanner in the tool kit. Great, missing.

They are just standard shocks that you twist around to seat a stud in the peaks and valleys to raise or lower. So I went to a few bike repair places and all had various excuses from don't have the tool, to they can't be adjusted to non standard shocks (which I highly doubt).

I am sure a larger Honda dealer could sort it in 5 minutes but we are a little way away from them and just wondering would it be possible to do it with multigrips? I can get a decent grab on the area that needs adjusting, easily accessible. Just thought I would ask as I don't want to scratch the shocks up unecesarilly if a hopeless endeavor   

Oh well answered my own question. First shock on the most accessible side easy peezy. Second one a little more difficult to get any purchase on and didn't seem to want to budge. Sprayed some WD40 on it and unbolted the muffler and swung it out the way a bit and then also easy. Didn't need a lot of muscle to move them.

They were previously set to a couple of notches before full height. I moved them 2 notches now springs compressed / raised fully

Can this do anything detrimental? Does it raise the center of gravity or anything or just compress the spring and make them firmer?

It sets the preload on the spring surrounding the shock. More preload - more resistance to compressing.

No issues with doing it - slight increase in harshness when riding solo but you probably won't even notice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seedy said:

It sets the preload on the spring surrounding the shock. More preload - more resistance to compressing.

No issues with doing it - slight increase in harshness when riding solo but you probably won't even notice

Preload on a spring does not change resistance to compression.

It pretty much just changes max extension of the suspension and therefore height.

Here an image that shows the spring didn't even change when adding preload.

PreloadExample

Edited by eisfeld

I was going to say, but I see you done it yourself, they just grabbed mine (I have same 2016 Forza) with a towel and twisted it by hand, pushing it up a bit..., you can also order those spanners from Lazada, not expensive...

When I got my Forza first (used) , a few years ago, I was doing a bit of kamikaze riding around corners, to see it's limits and excitement of a new bike etc. (!) , scraped the center stand a few times, and generally noticed the heavy back end was very bouncy and unstable around corners. So I change the preload to max , shortest setting, it helped a bit. I understand with heavy luggage or a passenger this setting is also useful....

Don't worry about it effecting center of gravity etc. , generally it's just a small change...

One of my back shocks started leaking few years ago, so changed both with the same used ones, going okay so far. Then of course the front forks leaked last year, repaired those too, and a lot of other issues, nowadays it consumes oil, bad news...! , when people say, Honda bulletproof, I laugh out loud ... ????

7 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I was going to say, but I see you done it yourself, they just grabbed mine (I have same 2016 Forza) with a towel and twisted it by hand, pushing it up a bit..., you can also order those spanners from Lazada, not expensive...

When I got my Forza first (used) , a few years ago, I was doing a bit of kamikaze riding around corners, to see it's limits and excitement of a new bike etc. (!) , scraped the center stand a few times, and generally noticed the heavy back end was very bouncy and unstable around corners. So I change the preload to max , shortest setting, it helped a bit. I understand with heavy luggage or a passenger this setting is also useful....

Don't worry about it effecting center of gravity etc. , generally it's just a small change...

One of my back shocks started leaking few years ago, so changed both with the same used ones, going okay so far. Then of course the front forks leaked last year, repaired those too, and a lot of other issues, nowadays it consumes oil, bad news...! , when people say, Honda bulletproof, I laugh out loud ... ????

I never had a lick of problems with mine apart from a front shock seal. Lovely smooth safe fast bike. Got T boned by a 15yo girl. I was stationary she was going about 80kmh on a Wave...no attempt to slow down, infact she was sending a text message. You are really cocooned inside the front area. 1000 baht panel damage to the Forza and me not a scratch. Her in hospital 1 week and hit so hard her front wheel went back in her engine and blew the block.

When you say the bike was used anything could have been done to it. I've seen what they can do with written off pick ups smashed beyond recognition and would fit in a shoe box. Welding bits of chassis together etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I never had a lick of problems with mine apart from a front shock seal. Lovely smooth safe fast bike. Got T boned by a 15yo girl. I was stationary she was going about 80kmh on a Wave...no attempt to slow down, infact she was sending a text message. You are really cocooned inside the front area. 1000 baht panel damage to the Forza and me not a scratch. Her in hospital 1 week and hit so hard her front wheel went back in her engine and blew the block.

When you say the bike was used anything could have been done to it. I've seen what they can do with written off pick ups smashed beyond recognition and would fit in a shoe box. Welding bits of chassis together etc.

You were lucky , I can imagine the damage can a 80kph accident can cause, even if one side is stationary....!

I got the bike when it has 750km, almost new..., that blue light on dash LCD is gone, clutch was basically useless after 7k km, replaced with carbon aftermarket, the rear brake pad I think sticking - most Forza have this issue, design flaw probably,  need new pads every few thousand km..., just last month both low beam headlight went, while high beam still working ...!!! 

Ok, these are all small issues, I think a Chinese bike would probably had more major problems..., but I don't like claims that Honda is so and so, every vehicle have issues, some less, since more...., only God is bulletproof...! ????

6 hours ago, Agusts said:

You were lucky , I can imagine the damage can a 80kph accident can cause, even if one side is stationary....!

I got the bike when it has 750km, almost new..., that blue light on dash LCD is gone, clutch was basically useless after 7k km, replaced with carbon aftermarket, the rear brake pad I think sticking - most Forza have this issue, design flaw probably,  need new pads every few thousand km..., just last month both low beam headlight went, while high beam still working ...!!! 

Ok, these are all small issues, I think a Chinese bike would probably had more major problems..., but I don't like claims that Honda is so and so, every vehicle have issues, some less, since more...., only God is bulletproof...! ????

I was lucky, she hit me full tilt. I was turning right into my estate. Just as I turned women did a u turn right in front of me I got caught in no mans land. Young girl on the oncoming bike 15yo...no license, no registration, no helmet and phone in her hand had at least 75 meters to slow down or take action had her face buried in 

her phone reading / sending messages. Guess who had to pay for it all?

Yeah dunno mate. Had Hondas most of my life and I love them for that reason...the little things that don't always break like switches etc. The big things like clutches etc never seem to break. Only my experience but the few times I have deviated to other brand bikes they were never even close to the precision and smoothness of a Honda. 

• Like 1

Took the bike out for a ride this morning with shocks on full tension setting. Much much better even by myself. I know it's probably supposed to feel a bit harsher but somehow feels smoother....Like the shock is actually doing its job and cushioning the ride. Felt no difference at all in ride height or handling. Much happier with it like this

8 hours ago, seedy said:

You can compensate for a too-soft or too-stiff spring by using preload, but you’re better off changing the spring itself.

https://www.penskeshocks.com/blog/motorcycle-spring-preload-what-it-does-and-why-we-would-adjust-it

Compensate in the sense of adjusting the height/geometry/sag. The sentence just before the one you quoted:

It’s important to point out that preload doesn’t affect spring stiffness.

Preload making a suspension more or less stiff is a common misunderstanding.

When it can feel softer or harder is when the spring rate and the rider weight are so out of balance that the suspension does not work in its optimal range and the preload maybe can bring it back to that range.