120V generator, any use?

I've acquired an old but perfectly running generator.

The only problem -  it's designed for the 120V 60Hz American standard output.

I don't think the minor difference in frequency is much of a problem.

My question is about voltage.

The front panel features a twist-lock NEMA L14-30 connector rated 120/240V

Is there a way to adapt a L14-30 plug to output 240V to a local household type outlet?

generator.jpg

nema.PNG

Have you checked it does actually output 240V ish? If so just use L1 and L2 to feed your load.

If you adjust the speed to 3,000 RPM you will get 50Hz too (and a slightly lower voltage as a bonus).

Should be a good backup unit.

You should be able to re-wire the output connectors to give 240V. It may be better (easier) to just make an adaptor lead for the actual 240V outlet particularly as it has a dual-voltage switch (there will be spaghetti inside). 

EDIT If you get a suitable plug and a local style outlet connect L1 of the L14-30 to L of the local outlet and L2 of the L14-30 to N of the local outlet (it doesn't actually matter) and ignore the neutral in the L14-30. Use a separate earth rod for your local outlet not the ground of the L14-30.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

You should be able to re-wire the output connectors to give 240V. It may be better (easier) to just make an adaptor lead for the actual 240V outlet particularly as it has a dual-voltage switch (there will be spaghetti inside). 

Also not to forget to switch the front panel rocker switch to "240V" before use.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/6/2022 at 5:14 PM, Crossy said:

EDIT If you get a suitable plug and a local style outlet connect L1 of the L14-30 to L of the local outlet and L2 of the L14-30 to N of the local outlet (it doesn't actually matter) and ignore the neutral in the L14-30. Use a separate earth rod for your local outlet not the ground of the L14-30.

Just to verify if I get it correctly.

Looking at the outlet's diagram:

Local L --> Line1

Local N --> Line2

Local Earth -->Nearby earth rod

Does it mean that I can get something like this, cut the existing plug off and connect the L14-30 male plug instead, wired as per your instructions?

It will be a kind of a stationary setup, since it needs to be attached to the Earth rod.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/amc-4-3-30-2-i2837402191-s10353318778.html?clickTrackInfo=undefined&search=1&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.i40.54304abfAAZTj3

Regarding to your point on "(it doesn't actually matter)"

Did you mean that the Local L and N could be connected to either Line1 or Line2, interchangeably, as it doesn't actually matter?

That linked lead would do the trick ???? 

13 minutes ago, unheard said:

Did you mean that the Local L and N could be connected to either Line1 or Line2, interchangeably, as it doesn't actually matter?

Yes, you are creating an IT network so L and N are interchangeable.

Most small generators are like this.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2022 at 5:14 PM, Crossy said:

If you adjust the speed to 3,000 RPM you will get 50Hz too (and a slightly lower voltage as a bonus).

To do that I'd need to find the "rpm screw" on the carburetor.

And then be able to measure the actual rpms.

I'll probably be able to locate that screw by searching youtube since the motor looks to be the very common Chinese knockoff of Honda.

But how about measuring the actual rpm?????

It's the governor you need to adjust, it operates the throttle itself.

You should certainly be able to find the adjustment method.

There are many plug-in energy monitors which also measure frequency. Check out Lazada.

• Love It 1