Thailand has the highest number of privately owned guns in ASEAN

snoop1130

FF2F827A-645C-42A8-A023-8AE39D955FE6.jpeg

Out of ten ASEAN member countries, Thailand has the highest number of guns in the possession of private individuals, with 10,342,000 guns being recorded in 2017, according to the Small Arms Survey (SAS).

The SAS is an independent research project, located at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland. It provides information on all aspects of small arms and armed violence, as a resource for governments, policy-makers, researchers and activists, as well carrying out research on small arms issues.

Worldwide, in 2017, there were more than 800 million privately-owned guns. The United States has the most, with 393,347,000 guns in private possession.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-has-the-highest-number-of-privately-owned-guns-in-asean/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-10-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

Impossible, I told all my friends Thailand was full of Buddhists.  Before I left, I told them they have a gun problem.   When I was driving away, I yelled at them for their senseless violence.  I said their police department is full of idiots.

Well, at least I have my 20 baht noodle soup.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Out of ten ASEAN member countries, Thailand has the highest number of guns in the possession of private individuals, with 10,342,000 guns being recorded in 2017, according to the Small Arms Survey (SAS).

How many of these are enhancement of their inadequate and fragile manhood!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

One nutter kills the same number of people as say a daily dose of road deaths and they are all up in arms about guns, forgetting the mass murder on the roads each day. 

Ignorance is bliss!

2 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Excuse me while I politely kill this class full of kids. Awfully sorry about the noise, will try to keep the screaming relatively brief, thank you for your polite understanding, have a nice day and keep your gunpowder dry. ????????

classic thainess

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

10,342,000 guns being recorded in 2017,

If they want to reduce the number of guns , they should set up a ' buy back ' program , just as the US did , may be some prefer the money to the gun ...?

At least , do not sell ammunition anymore .

13 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

If they want to reduce the number of guns , they should set up a ' buy back ' program , just as the US did , may be some prefer the money to the gun ...?

At least , do not sell ammunition anymore .

So they record reception of a gun on a list then the gun is thrown in a pile to be destroyed, and money is handed over. Kaching! The rorters will never have to work (rort) again. 

Edited by harrycallahan

I had always thought it was Cambodia.

When I was working for an NGO there, the estimate was one-in-three adults had a firearm.

But then again, their population is much smaller than Thailand, so I guess total # is much smaller. 

-But I still believe that % of gunowners is higher there.  Although "legally owned" probably numbers at 100<.

Edited by Iron Tongue
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

<deleted> - 1 in 7 Thais have a gun? 1 gun for every 7 Thais? Naturally some will have more than 1 gun. I would not take a chance. Never <deleted> off a Thai. You won't be the winner. Relax and enjoy life.

Lots more than that no record

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This figure comes from the SAS, which the article says is an independent research project, located at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland. Why would an institute in Switzerland distort gun ownership figures in Thailand? I look forward to your 'conspiracy theory' explanation.

How would any research project,  establish the number of guns , was it a telephone survey? or online survey ? or were they over here knocking in doors and asking people?  Or maybe yet another "fine"  example of "mathematical modelling " " the graduate institute of international and development studies in geneva"  ???   sounds very impressive but how could they possibly know

Why was the  "survey" not conducted in partnership with the authorities here,  that way as the guns were found they could have been confiscated . Usual academic rubbish producing  worthless figures in my opinion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1