Thailand has the highest number of privately owned guns in ASEAN

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I did not say it could be stopped, but it can be kept down by some control of guns. but suppose this madman did not have a gun, there is no way that he would have got near the 38 he murdered if all he had was a knife. Think about it.

I do agree with just about everything you have said though.

Possum1931 -- "Deaths are deaths, and tragedies like this can be stopped for the most part and so can road deaths. If the government really cares they can do something about it." [emphasis by KanchanaburiGuy]

Sorry, but I didnt make up the word "stopped." I used the word YOU used. Neither did I ignore the qualified description "tragedies like this." My whole post is dedicated to explaining that, other than a hero's on-site intervention, there is NO WAY to stop a tragedy like this.

It has nothing to do with a "government [that] really cares"........... because the government in incapable of doing anything about this sort of tragedy, anyway!

---------------

As for him not getting in to the facility if he hadn't had guns.......... poppycock! He was a parent whose child went there (though not on that day.) If he hadn't been aggressive outside first............ they almost certainly would have welcomed him right in! 

As it occurred, though, he WAS aggressive before trying to enter the building and someone locked the door. (Shot at least one............. but might have chosen to knife them, instead! Surprise attack!)

He kicked the door open.

Sorry, but I'm a long way from believing guns got him into the place, and if he hadn't had them, he could not have entered. The broken door suggests otherwise!

--------------

In addition, if he HADN'T used guns, his ability to kill so many children might have been even EASIER!

Why? 

Because a lot of people seem to be focused on these having been "sleeping children." But guns are loud and scary! Odds are, by the second, third or fourth shot.......... those kids were probably not asleep. Indeed, they were probably already the move.

If he HADN'T used his loud and scary gun........... his ultimate intended victims......... the kids.......... might have been even easier to target!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Good.  More guns in the hands of people creates a polite society.

No need for euros or aus people to take part in this discussion.

So why is that then, do you think that you are more superior than us? 

Don't forget that we are  Made all the same , a bit off in and out and  Voila a new person on the way.

19 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Good.  More guns in the hands of people creates a polite society.

No need for euros or aus people to take part in this discussion.

Seems you are afraid of intelligent discussion on the topic, 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

One nutter kills the same number of people as say a daily dose of road deaths and they are all up in arms about guns, forgetting the mass murder on the roads each day. 

I cannot see the relation at all. 

21 hours ago, peter zwart said:

its even worse as you can scrap about 15 million kids. I pressume they dont have guns.

A neighbor kid was making and selling zip guns in my village until the law started making  the rounds due to some break ins.

I am truly amazed at the number of guns, both legal and illegal, available here in Thailand! That said, it makes me curious about the Carry Laws here. If a gun is legal can you carry it on your person, in your car or on your motor bike? Who issues the Carry Permits, how difficult are they to obtain? It certainly stains the image of Thailand as a safe and welcoming destination!

These are just registered guns. All Thai farmers have guns of different types and I am sure very few of them are registered. The Thai gangster baby boys are highly unlikely to register a gun. These figures should be multiplied at least 10x to take into account all the unlicensed and un-registered guns. This is not taking into account all the home made guns that can still maim or kill    

On 10/8/2022 at 7:10 AM, nobodysfriend said:

If they want to reduce the number of guns , they should set up a ' buy back ' program , just as the US did , may be some prefer the money to the gun ...?

At least , do not sell ammunition anymore .

In many local buyback programs in the USA, gun aficionados would show up and buy very valuable guns for much more than the program paid, but much lower than the actual market value.  Stupid people selling valuable antiques for the price of a big meal at a fast-food restaurant!

6 hours ago, Rig Pig said:

I am truly amazed at the number of guns, both legal and illegal, available here in Thailand! That said, it makes me curious about the Carry Laws here. If a gun is legal can you carry it on your person, in your car or on your motor bike? Who issues the Carry Permits, how difficult are they to obtain? It certainly stains the image of Thailand as a safe and welcoming destination!

Not sure if this is legit, but seems reasonable:

http://thailawforum.com/database1/thailand-gun-law.html

Loads of guns in the Philippines but why would anybody know how many? They are kept hidden for a worst case scenario. How do you get this number for Thailand? Only registered guns? Loads of unregistered ones, too I guess ...

On 10/7/2022 at 11:18 PM, Burma Bill said:

For reference (Google):-

Equipping, possession, carrying, use, purchase, sale, trading, loan, transfer, rental, production, fabrication, repair, transportation, transit, import, export and stockpiling of weapons, explosives and ammunition of all its aspects by the civilian population are prohibited in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

I have lived here approaching 3 years and have never read about gun atrocities like those in Thailand.

You left out my part about almost all of them being illegally possessed.  Primarily as carry-overs from the decades of war there.

And I agree about no attrocities there.  I think that the Cambodians truly lost the desire for war after the Khmer Rouge agreed to stop fighting.  They were simply tired of war.

(Of course, this doesn't include gangsters and criminals, who'll kill you over a gambling debt)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rig Pig said:

Thank you, very interesting!

I was thinking about this and find it a bit odd that there doesn't seem to be any distinction between a "license to own" and a "license to carry". It may just be the Thai to English translation but if that's the case it's pretty scary given the number of guns!!