New York City declares state of emergency over migrant 'crisis situation'

Scott

image.png

New York City Mayor Eric Adams has declared a state of emergency to address a "crisis situation" over an influx of migrants.

More than 17,000 have arrived in the city from the southern border since April.

Republican states like Texas and Florida have been sending migrants to Democratic areas in recent months.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63177892

BBC.jpg

21 minutes ago, Justtaste said:

Fair enough ????

Or maybe not so fair.  A state (and there is more than one state doing this) with 268,597 sq. miles is sending 17,000 migrants to a city with 302 sq. miles.   I am not so sure whether that is fair to anyone.   

23 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Sanctuary Sh*ttys.....

But fair when all the border states have to carry the load....?

It's nothing more than a political stunt.  Border areas have resources, and yes, I have a home not far from the border.   New York City is now sending many of the migrants onward to where they planned to go, which was to be with friends or family members.  Many do have connections in the US, but not in New York.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Sanctuary Sh*ttys.....

But fair when all the border states have to carry the load....?

Agree to a point. This should not be done as a political stunt and creat a humanitarian crisis. It should be a consultative effort. Unfortunately Abbot and Desantis are simply exploiting  the helpless immigrants to score political points. That’s disgusting. 

About 1/3 of the encounters at the Southern Border are coming from Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela.  Under the existing agreements with Mexico, they will allow only those from specific Central American countries to remain in Mexico awaiting their immigration hearing.  

Once these nationals present themselves at the border, they cannot return to Mexico and deportation is extremely difficult if not impossible because of the political situation in their home country and the lack of agreements between the US and those countries.  

I believe that the US has gotten Mexico to no longer allow Venezuelan's to enter Mexico without a visa.   Up until recently, they could enter Mexico unrestricted.  I don't know the situation with Cuba and Nicaragua.  

1 hour ago, NickyLouie said:

Further destroying the tax base in USA, just a matter of years now before US crumbles.

According to an analysis of 2019 American Community Survey (ACS) data by the New American Economy, immigrants (14 percent of the U.S. population) wield $1.3 trillion in spending power. That generate lots of sales tax revenues contribution. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

The school systems in sanctuary cities are now crying because of all the migrant kids. But, the southern states are supposed to magically absorb them all.

What's disgusting is biden turning a blind eye towards the border invasion.

Most of the migrants crossing the border have no intention to remain in the immediate border area.  Many have family or other connections elsewhere in the US.   Texas has just over 8,100 schools; NYC has just over 1,000.   There is a huge difference between sending people to a city and having them settle in a state.   

For many of them, there are services available throughout the US for those needing resettlement.  Sending them to specific cities that have signaled their facilities are overloaded is not a reasonable method of handling the problem.   

8 minutes ago, Credo said:

Most of the migrants crossing the border have no intention to remain in the immediate border area.  Many have family or other connections elsewhere in the US.   Texas has just over 8,100 schools; NYC has just over 1,000.   There is a huge difference between sending people to a city and having them settle in a state.   

For many of them, there are services available throughout the US for those needing resettlement.  Sending them to specific cities that have signaled their facilities are overloaded is not a reasonable method of handling the problem.   

From what I read, NYC has 1800 plus schools and more than one MILLION students. So assuming half the incoming migrants are children, that would be an increase of less than 1% in student enrolment. In 6 months.  An average of 3 or 4 students per school.  This is a crisis?!?

Edited by Hanaguma
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

From what I read, NYC has 1800 plus schools and more than one MILLION students. So assuming half the incoming migrants are children, that would be an increase of less than 1% in student enrolment. In 6 months.  An average of 3 or 4 students per school.  This is a crisis?!?

Exactly....much bigger schools.... and the population of the entire state of Texas is only twice that of NYC.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Well, apparently it's a crisis for Texas, so why not NYC?
The land area of Texas is 268,597 Sq. Miles.  New York City is 302 Sq. miles.  

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought N Y was a sanctuary city. If it is, it's only fair that they should provide sanctuary. Far as I know the states sending them have never proclaimed themselves to be sanctuary states.

You obviously do not know what sanctuary city means.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 3:13 PM, Eric Loh said:

Agree to a point. This should not be done as a political stunt and creat a humanitarian crisis. It should be a consultative effort. Unfortunately Abbot and Desantis are simply exploiting  the helpless immigrants to score political points. That’s disgusting. 

Was it not already a humanitarian crisis- just not in N Y?

When the federal government won't solve the situation on the southern border, it's no wonder states take action on their own.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know what sanctuary means. If they have a different definition, change the name.

Seems they supported undocumented immigrants provided they didn't move to N Y.

The people being sent are not in need of a sanctuary city.  Sanctuary cities simply do not question immigration status in questioning people or taking a police report.  The purpose is to make sure that people who are victims of a crime are not afraid to report it.  It also means that when someone is picked up by local police, they will not be held awaiting immigration to pick them up.  If Immigration want them, they will have to pick them up and detain them prior to their scheduled release date.   

The people being sent to NYC and other cities are in the US legally and have made a reasonable claim to refugee status.  They are not illegal.   

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the federal government had done it's job, likely this situation would never have arisen. In my opinion and that of many, the federal government has created the situation and has dumped the problem on border states. The border states have just had enough and are not going to take it anymore. I for one do not blame them.

Please explain just what 'job' it is that the federal government is supposed to do?   Then let us know how they created the situation or how they are dumping on the border states.   

I own a home and property near the border -- an unwalled portion as well -- and I fail to see the problem.   

16 minutes ago, Credo said:

Please explain just what 'job' it is that the federal government is supposed to do?   Then let us know how they created the situation or how they are dumping on the border states.   

I own a home and property near the border -- an unwalled portion as well -- and I fail to see the problem.   

What does near the border exactly mean, could be 100 miles or 100 ft, in a gated community perhaps. Do you have children in the education system?

News about illegals breaking into homes, cutting wire fences, damaging property must all be fake news then.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

What does near the border exactly mean, could be 100 miles or 100 ft, in a gated community perhaps. Do you have children in the education system?

News about illegals breaking into homes, cutting wire fences, damaging property must all be fake news then.

The vast majority of crime is committed by Natural born Americans and the biggest fear around here is getting shot and that's not by anyone crossing the border.   

On 10/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, NickyLouie said:

Further destroying the tax base in USA, just a matter of years now before US crumbles.

If you mean keeping undocumented aliens out of the USA is destroying the tax base, you sort of have a point. Home construction, service industries and agriculture depend to a large degree on undocumented aliens. Without them, these segments of the economy would crumble.