Nan: Bicycle – buy, rent, bring?

henrik2000

Hello, coming to Nan + NE Thailand as a plain tourist for about 4 weeks and also getting a rental car hopefully. Should I

1. rent a bicycle in Nan + other places
  2. buy a bicycle in Nan?
  3. bring a bicycle freshly bought in Bkk or Pattaya (possible on Nok Air, I checked)

Background: After a few initial days in Bkk and Jomtien, I hope to stay 4+ weeks around Nan, Phayao, Uttaradit, also very small places (aware of visa requirements). I love walking around and *slowly* bicycling around rural areas + nature, very untouristy and basic. I need a basic bicycle. I already did this happily in other areas like Khmer Isaan, Nakhon Si Thammarat etc., also with rental car + bicycle. I might get a rental car after some days in Nan that could carry a small bicycle (at least after taking off front wheel). I speak enough basic Thai and know to use GPS.

For the bicycle, I will bring from the west seat cushion, lock, repair kit. I don't mind taking a rented bicycle to the workshop first for 2 hours to get gears etc. fixed.

Renting a bicycle

Aware that most lodges in Nan, Phayao etc. rent or provide bicycles, and a simple 3-gear-thing would be enough. But so far, upcountry I often got terrible wrecks, sometimes only with 2 days delay and still broken. Because of that, my dream came up to OWN a simple bicycle and carry it from town to town by rental car or maybe bus. I wondered if it would be easy to rent a usable bicycle in small places around NE Thailand.

Certainly renting a different bicycle in each place would save one the hassle of buying and transporting one, but then you have the trouble of finding a decent rental bicycle in each place.

Buying a bicycle in Nan – good?

Google Maps mentions several perhaps big bicycle stores in Nan, including one for "used Japanese bikes". Again, I'd like a simple thing, ideally with mudcatchers, a few gears and front basket. It would be ok up to 8.000 THB. 2nd hand would be very fine. Would that be doable? Which shop would you recommend? (While I do speak enough Thai for numbers, food, small talk, an Anglophone clerk might be good.)

I'd been dreaming about a foldable bike, even if 20" only. In Bkk or Pattaya that's available at Decathlon shops etc. Also available in Nan? Hopefully there would also be a dedicated bag available, for clean+easy transport by bus or car.

I could also buy a regular smaller bicycle and put it into a carton provided by the dealer, but it's more hassle if you have maybe 4 or 5 transports between various towns.

I would sell/give away that bicycle in Nan before flying out.

Bringing a bicycle from Bkk

Bringing a bicycle from the west is not an option. I have a Nok Air booking DMK-Nan and it seems online I could add more luggage that allows to bring a bicycle from Bkk. Did you ever do that? So in Bkk or Pattaya I could get the foldable bike that would gel well with a rental car. But I'd happily save me the hassle, if a decent bicycle can be

• bought in Nan or
  • rented in Nan and later destinations as well

So what are your thoughts? Thanks!

_screen_2022-10-08_081023.jpg

Edited by henrik2000

Guten Tag.  lol

There will be headaches.  When I flew with my bike, I had to pay 7000 baht.  It was worth it back then, not now.  Now I would buy a 26 inch basic bike (8000 baht or maybe a little more) since it's easy to find parts for that size (and tubes, tires, etc..) and bring a bag from home with a helmet, pump, patch kits (they aren't very good here) and some good water bottles (not very good here).  As far as a bus, I bet you could just throw the bike in with luggage with both wheels off for a slight fee.   Renting seems like a big hassle.  Store open, find the size, forced to pay since only one store (ripped off, scammed) and pay for any "damages" when you return it, plus other headaches....I'd never do that personally.

then, at your last overnight stay, leave the bike with them and say you will get it later.   maybe tip them 500 baht or something.   They will store it and probably ride it too, but whatever it's better than giving it away unless you really find someone who needs one.

The key word is "decent" bicycle.   It's impossible to tell.   Might be fake, break, horrible, the worst, or a good deal....I've seen it all.  Tires that exploded after 10 kms and some that last 4000.   

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

Falang, thanks.

Adding 15 kilograms to my domestic Nok flight would cost 780 THB, and it would be enough for a small bike. Maybe "sportsgear" is even free, not sure now.

Take a VIP coach bus and stow your bike underneath in the cargo bays, no box or bag required.  A full size road bike will fit, no problem for a folding bike.

Smaller local buses may have more limited cargo capacity.

Key words: Decent / Reliable / Size.... 

IF you want a decent, reliable bicycle thats the right size you are perhaps advised to get one from Bangkok....

You can of course take your chances on renting one up-country... but thats a chance and you could end up ruining your plans by waiting to get the thing fixed all the time. 

One Option is a reasonably priced bike from Decathlon Thailand 

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/all-sports/cycling-13145?refinementList[tes_product_nature_en][0]=mountain bike

Example below: 12,000 baht...  Free Shipping >> you could order to be delivered to wherever you are staying in Naan. 

image.thumb.png.eaf05ac551efccc151b27f5ad4732321.png

• Like 1

NoDisplayName, SparkTrader and Richard, thanks for more input!

Again, this is not about sporty, ambitious bicycling. It's about "bumbling around the fields". I also won't wear colourful hi-end sportsgear.

Thanks for mentioning the free delivery by Decathlon. It might be an idea to visit Decathlon in Bkk and have them send it for free to Nan - much nicer than carrying it on VIP coach or plane, even if also free.

Hi Henrik,

going to a Decathlon Shop n Bangkok or Chiang Mail and sending the item to Nan seems to be a great idea. But no support there. You have to put your bike together yourself if it is not a foldable.

Here is a list of bicycle shops in Nan: https://bicyclethailand.com/bicycle-shops-in-nan-province-thailand/

The advantage if you buy there: They might be interested to buy the used bike.

Not sure if they would rent out.

Renting the right car: I drive a Honda Jazz. The back-seats can be dropped. So my bikes fit in there even without taking out the front wheel.

Enjoy exploring the area with a bike. I think it is one of the best ways to do.

Cheers

Stefan

2 minutes ago, Stefan in Thailand said:

going to a Decathlon Shop n Bangkok or Chiang Mail and sending the item to Nan seems to be a great idea. But no support there. You have to put your bike together yourself if it is not a foldable.

Its a 10min job - just put the pedals on it and tighten a few things. 

I had bikes from Decathlon delivered (to my home in Bangkok) for my Wife and Son...  simple stuff - hardly takes a day of engineering.

Its a shame those shops in Nan don’t have links to website so the Op can check his options.

Do they have the right size ??

I wanted a 29”er....   Only one shop in Bangkok (Scott) had one that size.. 

Very few shops in Bangkok even had 27” bikes.. (wheel size) - Giant, which I figured were a very good and reasonably priced option had nothing my size - I contacted dealers all over Thailand. 

Scott was the only option so I went with that...  

I wanted something more than the basic 12,000 baht Mountain bike from Decathlon.. 

But now they have that 28,000 baht bike which looks like a decent set up (though the Op clearly doesn’t want go that expensive). 

I suspect size cold be the real issue here. 

IF the Op can contact those Shops in Nan and they can send him photo’s etc of what they have - but that depends heavily on the shop staff / owner being service minded and doing a bit of work which is often a tall ask in many such cases. 

Richard and Stefan, thanks for some good ideas!

I will only use the bicycle for 3 - 6 weeks, and only leasurely. In that case for me 8.000 THB is enough. Would i buy the bicycle for several years of regular use, i would take something more upmarket certainly.

On previous trips from small Thai upcountry lodges, i always got half-broken 24" wrecks for rent, and they were ok for a while (even if Thais looked down on me and i had to visit a workshop first) (sometimes the renters waived the rental fee when they noted that i had their bikes fixed). I will bring a bicycle-seat-cushion from the west, cause i can't stand/sit the typical hard bicycle seats.

I wouldn't mind sending a bicycle from Bkk to Nan and then ask a bicycle shop in Nan for help, if needed, and pay accordingly. At least then i have enjoyed perhaps better selection (and English language) in Bangkok, compared to Nan. I guess with a brandnew bike after some bouncing about you need to at least re-adjust spokes and maybe brakes- and gear-cables . I might be able to do that myself, but the workshop would do it better.

As for locating a bicycle shop in Nan, Google Maps might even be more useful than bicyclethailand.com, because on Google Maps you get several photos from outside and inside and sometimes a self-description and user-reviews, translated (aware they may be fake or overtly friendly) (link to Nan's bicycle shops on G Maps). By the number of user reviews you might draw conclusions about size and popularity (of course not fully reliable).

As for a rental car (posted separate question about it), i'd hope to get "wagon style" (?), which could be more easily loaded with a bicycle, like a Yaris or maybe Stefan's Honda Jazz. Unfortunately some renters only offer bigger "sedans" (?) with a separat, flatter luggage compartment (back-seats might still be droppable there, but it's not convenient like a "wagon"). Even for driving and parking i'd always like something very small, but more difficult to get as a rental in TH.

I also in the west drop the back-seats of my car to easily store the bicycle, but the interior might get scratched or dirty which i would like to avoid on a rental car.

37 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Both CR and Phayao are good towns. Never been to Nan.

I was with my (Thai) wife visiting family in upper Nan Province and Mueang for six weeks back in June/July.  I am very familiar with Nan as well, having spent a lot of accumulated time there over the past two decades.  I can tell you that Nan is quite rudimentary when compared to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.  Services and goods availability drop off dramatically compared to the larger northern cities.  The only bikers I ever saw were simply using bikes to commute around Mueang Nan.  Big C sells bikes but I can't speak to pricing, size/type or quality.  Nan will also be getting chilly soon...coldest during December/January..so factor the weather in too.  

Sparktrader and Foreman, thanks for new input!

It's nice to know that Nan is small and basic! I love out of the way places. But then i perhaps should find a bicycle in Bkk already and have them deliver it to my accom. in Nan.

I would like to stay between Phayao, Nan and Uttaradit. Been to Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and the northern border before.

Edited by henrik2000

On 10/8/2022 at 6:38 PM, NoDisplayName said:

A full size road bike will fit, no problem for a folding bike.

Smaller local buses may have more limited cargo capacity.

Green bus refused to take my city bike to Chaing Mai recently saying it was too big.

• Like 1

Nan has a couple basic shops, and one higher end with sporadic hours. They do have LA Bicycles. I have lived here off and on since 2013, LA got me what I wanted if they didn't have it.  Found a nice fuji for a friend there. Good range from 2000 b to 40,000. Service and parts are meh. 

I flew out of Bangkok and back in to Nan, Khon Kaen, Udon last month. Bike in Box, click in website for extra luggage there is a bike specific option. Cheap as chips, 500-1000.  Bike box was handled nicely. With NoK I went first class or whatever and it helped with luggage prices.  

If you are thinking of purchasing, I'd buy in BKK. Buying in Nan only saves you one cargo ticket. In BKK you can get whatever you want, have it set up and keep the box. 
 I've only seen good basic single speed bikes for rent in the town. In town they would be fine. Many of the hotels have them. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, marcusb said:

Nan has a couple basic shops, and one higher end with sporadic hours. They do have LA Bicycles. I have lived here off and on since 2013, LA got me what I wanted if they didn't have it.  Found a nice fuji for a friend there. Good range from 2000 b to 40,000

Marcus, thanks for a lot of good advice!