UK Pension Providers and Our Demise

Simple question guys. Does anyone know the definitive answer this.

A single guy with no contact with anyone in the UK, dies in Thailand. Who, if anyone lets his (former) pension providers know that he has done so?

It’s unlikely that anyone will inform personal company pension providers, though if the reporting procedures are followed the foreigner’s death will be reported through the Thai administration to the embassy, which I guess (I don’t know for sure) would result in their state pension being stopped.

It is for this reason company pension schemes issue ‘proof of life requests’.

I have in the past helped a British expat suffering ‘emotional’ problems reinstate his pension after it was stopped when he didn’t answer the proof of life letter. He had got it into his head someone was after him.

This experience convinces me expats should make provisions to deal with their pensions and finances if they become unable to do so.

In the best case a foreigner’s account might continue receiving pension payments until their death is discovered.

In the worst case a foreigner might be denied payments through being unable to manage their affairs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1