2 Things That Annoy Me In Pattaya.

Mason45

I, too, would love to see fewer stray dogs and better sidewalks.  The city could start with the major roads.  For example, the sidewalks are mostly narrow and bad on the shop side of Beach Road.  They need major improvement.  Busy Second Road has a section by the police dormitory with no sidewalk at all, with other sections by some of the hotels extremely narrow, so you also end up in the street.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Extendable baton for 100bht from Lazada  sorts the soi dogs.

No need to even swing it, they know what it's for.

Thanks for your suggestion Brit Man, if I go to Lazada what's this extendable baton called. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wish that was helpful for the one's that ambush us on the motorbike turning corners...where they fly out of bushes.  

Always gives me a startle, even knowing where it might be coming.  Sometimes forget about it completely.  Sometimes they nip my rider.

I don't understand why the condo management don't clear them out down there.  I am in a a little section of 2 soi with one connector at the back.  So a long U up to the main street.    and connector that they roam is very short.  I really don't understand why they wouldn't push these dogs out if I was running the condo's.

4 hours ago, Mason45 said:

Hi all, I'm 77 years old and I enjoy good health and have a brisque 90 minutes walk every morning. The 2 things I hate is of course the soi dogs and those dreaded footpath paving bricks. The original pavers were set perfectly but then along comes  the people who do repairs to water connections etc but never reset the pavers properly. Many look fine but have no compacted soil underneath them. You stand on them and on your bum go. Cheers.

Every place has its annoyances. Just have to accept it, especially for a foreigner who is given no more than one year to stay at a time in Thailand. After one year, if you find your home land is better, you can go back. Thailand immigration policy is perfect for the types of foreigners whose only voice is this forum. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Every place has its annoyances. Just have to accept it, especially for a foreigner who is given no more than one year to stay at a time in Thailand. After one year, if you find your home land is better, you can go back. Thailand immigration policy is perfect for the types of foreigners whose only voice is this forum. 

You seem to think that these problems are only related to farangs. How many Thais are bitten by stray dogs and others have a nasty fall as there very are few safe options to walk.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I, too, would love to see fewer stray dogs and better sidewalks.  The city could start with the major roads.  For example, the sidewalks are mostly narrow and bad on the shop side of Beach Road.  They need major improvement.  Busy Second Road has a section by the police dormitory with no sidewalk at all, with other sections by some of the hotels extremely narrow, so you also end up in the street.  

We would all like to see things better, maybe they should put a tourist tax on Pattaya accommodation to pay for it.

Thai GDP per capita is between 10 and 15% of most western countries and nearly 40% below the world average.

Do people really think that Thailand can borrow to a similar extent that the UK is currently planning?

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm sure if you're not happy you could relocate somewhere nice........ like Sydney. 

Nice high prices for food and accommodation, nice cold miserable weather, sad angry people everywhere and the gorgeous Karen's to look at.  

Entertained a friend visiting from Sydney yesterday, he confirmed everything you have said plus more.

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm sure if you're not happy you could relocate somewhere nice........ like Sydney. 

Nice high prices for food and accommodation, nice cold miserable weather, sad angry people everywhere and the gorgeous Karen's to look at.  

Or Chiang Mai

Better women

Less chavs

I'm not far behind, I take it at a challenge since our age working on your balance is important. 

Look at it like training foot work like stepping through s set of tires.  I look for poles, beams and walk across them. 

When it comes to dogs I carry a pipe challenge my fortitude 10 years bitten once.????

I don't have a problem with either soi dogs or uneven pavers.  I take a walk on a nearby golf course without playing golf, or I climb the stairs of my condo if I want more cardio exercise.

One thing that annoys me in Thailand is the halfwits at checkouts who fiddle around on their smartphones paying for their purchases, I would have thought after a few visits to a supermarket they'd know how to use the bloody things.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Screaming said:

You can find them on Beach Road in the small shops.

Tactical-Telescopic-Baton-Stainless-Steel-SDL979917308-1-e953d.jpeg

A normal bamboo/wood walking stick does the the same job. Just be aware some dogs get provoked, and that could be the dog that will attack you.

Normal dogs will stay away as long you stand your ground and talk calm to them. The more afraid or aggressive the more you can trigger the dogs. 

If you have a stick, be calm and just lift it above your head, no need to shout or act like an idiot.

11 hours ago, Mason45 said:

Thanks for your suggestion Brit Man, if I go to Lazada what's this extendable baton called. Thanks.

https://www.taosnews.com/news/taos-bark-how-to-protect-yourself-from-loose-dogs/article_6b624aca-f83d-572d-a7c1-50eff7470ad2.html

This link is an informative article on the aggressive dog problem, although I think it is a bit on the lightweight side.  I am an avid bicyclist and walker and also a victim of an aggressive dog when a child (30 stitches).  I find soi dogs in thailand some of the most aggressive I have ever encountered.  And it is a problem, just look at all the kids (and adults) that are attacked in Thailand (and my country, the USA).  Owners fault for sure, but you do have a way to protect yourself (as I have).  I use either a spray solution of vinegar and water or a pepper spray, depending on weather I am walking or riding and which route I am traveling.  Neither hurts the dog permanently and both will teach the dog not to aggressively attack people on the sidewalk.  I know dog lovers and some owners will very much disagree with these tactics but I am convinced they will get results and leave the dog unharmed. 

14 minutes ago, Rowdyman said:

https://www.taosnews.com/news/taos-bark-how-to-protect-yourself-from-loose-dogs/article_6b624aca-f83d-572d-a7c1-50eff7470ad2.html

This link is an informative article on the aggressive dog problem, although I think it is a bit on the lightweight side.  I am an avid bicyclist and walker and also a victim of an aggressive dog when a child (30 stitches).  I find soi dogs in thailand some of the most aggressive I have ever encountered.  And it is a problem, just look at all the kids (and adults) that are attacked in Thailand (and my country, the USA).  Owners fault for sure, but you do have a way to protect yourself (as I have).  I use either a spray solution of vinegar and water or a pepper spray, depending on weather I am walking or riding and which route I am traveling.  Neither hurts the dog permanently and both will teach the dog not to aggressively attack people on the sidewalk.  I know dog lovers and some owners will very much disagree with these tactics but I am convinced they will get results and leave the dog unharmed. 

Could be I start a class how to handle slik dogs the best way for both parts. 

I'm walking alot with and without dogs with my dog in leash meeting packs of soi dogs, and never had one bad incident. Alot of noise but just normal dog behaviour. 

At once you understand the dogs nature, you will be fine, but a person on bicycle will always be a target for dogs and only solution is to out "run" them or stop and walk the bike out of their territory. 

Good luck

• Like 2