USA Passport Renewal Service Available in Pattaya

Jingthing

Well if you

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

When the US consular staff used to visit Pattaya I think it was twice a year a large hall was filled all day. Of course most people were there for the income statements affidavits which they stopped doing. Also passport applications and other business of course. It was a great convenience and much appreciated by expats here. No doubt without the income statements it would be much less demand.

Trolling insults IGNORED.

Well if you had current details and info on how to renew a US passport in Pattaya we would like to hear about it....But just speculating about it is not very helpful....

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Why would you suppose the Embassy did, in fact,  send  full compliment of staff to Pattaya and elsewhere in Thailand for so many years?

The last time they were in Pattaya I mentioned to the lady helping me it would probably be her last trip to Pattaya on behalf of the Embassy.  When she asked why, I just said there's virtually no security.      The program ended shortly after that.

It was and still is part of the Consular outreach program the Embassy and Consulate in CM conduct.  Just because it was stopped during Covid does not mean it will not be restarted since there is now a new Ambassador at the helm.  What security do you think these consular officers need.  The last one I attended in Udon Thani a few years back the hotel conference room was pack with expats needing things done, from passports, to notarization, notification of new born etc.....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BonMot said:

You send your passport to the embassy. Done properly it's returned in two weeks. All the information is posted on the website.

There is no Pattaya service. Why would the embassy see a need to concern themselves with expats that live in ... Pattaya

I fail to even see the purpose of this post. Did you even visit the US embassy site or search this website you practically live on? Sheeeesh ????

So you have never heard of the US's Consular outreach program? It was very helpful to many, and although they have stopped it, when I spoke to a consular officer sometime ago I was told there was discussion on restarting it.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/consular-outreach/

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Well if you

Well if you had current details and info on how to renew a US passport in Pattaya we would like to hear about it....But just speculating about it is not very helpful....

I have no idea what you're talking about 

There is the usual way see the US embassy website.

Or of you want more of a hand holding service you may inquire at the agent I mentioned, ask them what exactly they will do for you, and then decide if what they offer is worth the fee to you or not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It was and still is part of the Consular outreach program the Embassy and Consulate in CM conduct.  Just because it was stopped during Covid does not mean it will not be restarted since there is now a new Ambassador at the helm.  What security do you think these consular officers need.  The last one I attended in Udon Thani a few years back the hotel conference room was pack with expats needing things done, from passports, to notarization, notification of new born etc.....

I think the Pattaya service was stopped long before Covid  Again budget cuts. Pattaya people can get to Bangkok if they need to much easier than Phuket people. I don't expect Pattaya service to ever be restored.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, jaywalker2 said:

You misunderstood the post. He's not talking about an embassy service. He's talking about a private company service (Key Visa) that will handle the passport renewal for Americans.

The American Embassy implemented during Covid a new requirement that all passport renewals be done by mail. I can see why many elderly Americans would not want to deal with that hassle themselves.

I think we understand but more details should be given like cost,time, etc and visa agency charges if you post this info.....Come on does the visa agency really want dozens of calls asking the same questions...I think not.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think the Pattaya service was stopped long before Covid  Again budget cuts. Pattaya people can get to Bangkok if they need to much easier than Phuket people. I don't expect Pattaya service to ever be restored.

You may be right on this.  I hope they restore the services to the further out provinces.  I have many older friends who despise travelling to BKK from the Udon Thani and Nong Khai areas, and they hate driving to CM due to the hills and curves in the road. Like most Embassies around the world they seem to leave the expat community in the lurch.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I think we understand but more details should be given like cost,time, etc and visa agency charges if you post this info.....Come on does the visa agency really want dozens of calls asking the same questions...I think not.....

It would have been good.

However I am not a reporter and I don’t need renewal for some years.

So I was not going to call him.

I did what I was comfortable doing that I think will be of interest to some people.

Let people know that there is at least one agent in town offering a service relating to helping people with the passport renewall process.

If someone does call or use the service you are most welcome to post here about it.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Does anyone know the fees for these services?

On the link you provided in the OP, clicked on a link for renewal of Irish passport. All the way down near the bottom of that page it stated the price was B12,000, including passport fee.

7. Either you or Key Visa will receive a telephone call or an e-mail from the Irish Consulate when your passport has arrived. Key Visa staff will then collect the passport and bring it back to Pattaya with the old one. At present it is taking 6 weeks to arrive back in Thailand.

PIECE OF MIND FOR ONLY 12,000 Thai baht inclusive of the passport fee.

Edited by Skeptic7

Found this for British PP. Why not give them a holler and inquire about USA? 

Key Visa can take away all the hassle of renewing your British passport in Thailand for a service fee of just 5000 baht (this is in addition to your passport renewal fee) which includes document checking, photocopies, taking the application to Bangkok and collecting the new British passport when it is ready.

As has been noted, renewing a US passport must be done by mail absent some unusual factors (using the Embassy website section for renewal will tell you if you have certain factors that would require you to go to the Embassy/Consulate.....but only a small minority would be allowed to do so).

Personally, I found the mail-in deal to be easy and quick (DHL on a Monday from Chiangmai to the Embassy in Bangkok and return of the new and punched old passport (and Immigration letter) on a Thursday 11 days later).  A lot faster and easier than renewing it in the states (would note that renewal in the US appears to be heading to an online procedure for all/most next year although the process there is not anticipated to be anywhere near as fast as getting it done here in Thailand).  

You pay for the new passport itself online with a credit card (before you could do the credit card thing or pay via a bank draft) and you must include a bank draft for 100 baht for return of the new and old passports (I don't see how an agent can get the bank draft for you although I have no clue if the Embassy would have a problem if the bank draft was from somebody other than the person applying for the passport). Anyway, the process is easy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rdimbus said:

Let's get this right, the purpose of the U.S. Embassy (in any country) is to advance government & business interests.

us lowly taxpayers are to be found at the bottom of the list of tasks. 

once you come to terms with that, you may regret paying income taxes, SS, Medicaid and all of the rest of the <deleted> they invent to soak us with.

Agree about the embassy. Don't agree about enititlement programs. They are very, very popular for good reason. I don't recall meeting a social security pensioner here sending back their checks.

4 hours ago, CMBob said:

As has been noted, renewing a US passport must be done by mail absent some unusual factors (using the Embassy website section for renewal will tell you if you have certain factors that would require you to go to the Embassy/Consulate.....but only a small minority would be allowed to do so).

Personally, I found the mail-in deal to be easy and quick (DHL on a Monday from Chiangmai to the Embassy in Bangkok and return of the new and punched old passport (and Immigration letter) on a Thursday 11 days later).  A lot faster and easier than renewing it in the states (would note that renewal in the US appears to be heading to an online procedure for all/most next year although the process there is not anticipated to be anywhere near as fast as getting it done here in Thailand).  

You pay for the new passport itself online with a credit card (before you could do the credit card thing or pay via a bank draft) and you must include a bank draft for 100 baht for return of the new and old passports (I don't see how an agent can get the bank draft for you although I have no clue if the Embassy would have a problem if the bank draft was from somebody other than the person applying for the passport). Anyway, the process is easy.

Do they take debit cards?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I reckon some of you have dealings with the visa agency in question. Perhaps one of you can collect this information about the U.S. passport renewal service offer.

Such as:

The Fee

What exactly are all the steps in the process compared to do it yourself

Passports mailed to embassy and back or by courier?

What does the client gain over do it yourself other than having the documents proofread and perhaps more security in the back and forths?

Delivery to home by office or do you need to pick it up?

Is transferring visa from old to new passport at the immigration office an included option in the package

Any other details of interest

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Might depend on the numbers in town. Germany and Austria have consular services available. There are quite a few USA guys living here. Of similar needs to those in Bangkok.

US Embassy in Bangkok, US Consulate in Chiang Mai. Botha do occasional outreach visits but Passports and Consular Services, from my understanding and experience are handled through these two diplomatic posts. 

Edited by wwest5829

2 hours ago, Rdimbus said:

Let's get this right, the purpose of the U.S. Embassy (in any country) is to advance government & business interests.

us lowly taxpayers are to be found at the bottom of the list of tasks. 

once you come to terms with that, you may regret paying income taxes, SS, Medicaid and all of the rest of the <deleted> they invent to soak us with.

Entitled to you opinion … but it is only that … your opinion not to be mistaken as fact.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

When the US consular staff used to visit Pattaya I think it was twice a year a large hall was filled all day. Of course most people were there for the income statements affidavits which they stopped doing. Also passport applications and other business of course. It was a great convenience and much appreciated by expats here. No doubt without the income statements it would be much less demand.

Trolling insults IGNORED.

So, you're seemingly the authority but you're uncertain.

When did they visit last - Pattaya? A decade ago?

Part of the problem is of course it's Pattaya!

Second issue more to the OPs question - it's all managed online. It's an online process. They want you to submit app online. If you print the app someone will have to input the data and just slow it all down.

All the information is on the embassy website. Download it all, it will make sense and what doesn't just email them.

Pattaya.. ????

Edited by BonMot

35 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Entitled to you opinion … but it is only that … your opinion not to be mistaken as fact.

Actually, he's correct. 99% of *embassy* activity / function falls under consular services.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I reckon some of you have dealings with the visa agency in question. Perhaps one of you can collect this information about the U.S. passport renewal service offer.

Such as:

The Fee

What exactly are all the steps in the process compared to do it yourself

Passports mailed to embassy and back or by courier?

What does the client gain over do it yourself other than having the documents proofread and perhaps more security in the back and forths?

Delivery to home by office or do you need to pick it up?

Is transferring visa from old to new passport at the immigration office an included option in the package

Any other details of interest

If you use an agent they will submit online as well. I'm aware of no direct service at embassy although they probably make allowance for sick and elderly.

I bet using an agent especially for American with non Thai name will be scrutinized heavily and slow down the process.

My turnaround was 12 days I think.

Then again JT you never travel to any other countries and have no interests outside Pattaya so... Plenty of time.

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you have never heard of the US's Consular outreach program? It was very helpful to many, and although they have stopped it, when I spoke to a consular officer sometime ago I was told there was discussion on restarting it.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/consular-outreach/

I have. I recall even having passport pages added I think.

I do not believe they ever accepted passports for renewal. Seriously doubt years later with everything online, centralized they would ever do this - my opinion.

Pattaya is just a headache for the embassy. 

Pages can no longer be added, passports can't be renewed so I think if restarted will be quite limited

But don't miss the opportunity to take a jab at me. You're totally speculating.