USA Passport Renewal Service Available in Pattaya

Jingthing

Personal attacks and replies have been removed:

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

22 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I wouldn't want to mail my passport in for renewal in Thailand. Has nothing to do with computer skills, but rather not trusting anyone to not screw it up. I go to Embassy in person, and have new passport mailed to me. I get to see the envelope has my address written correctly. For me it's a 2 hr cab ride

Last time I renewed in person at US Embassy in BKK was 2004. Back then, I retained my old passport until I returned to collect the new PP. At that time, they cancelled the old. Do you, or anyone, know if this is still the case? 

Edited by Skeptic7

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I am also quite computer literate. As said before, I liked the old method because I didn't need to mail it in or receive it by mail. Personally, my main concern yet again is the physical security of the passport.

Absolutely

• Thumbs Up 1

don't get too excited about the service, which I think is nothing but just secretarial service: fill in a form, get the photo ready, prepare for mailing. I would prefer to do it myself.

In January I mailed my passport to BKK embassy, got it back in the mail with a certified copy for SSA record updating. Passport renewal should be about the same , may be add a photo, a standard form , plus payment. I don"t need help.

18 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Last time I renewed in person at US Embassy in BKK was 2004. Back then, I retained my old passport until I returned to collect the new PP. At that time, they cancelled the old. Do you, or anyone, know if this is still the case? 

I did my kid's in Bangkok, mandatory for parents and kid together in person. They punched holes in old passport. I don't see why they wouldn't do adult passports in person also. I have a few years to go before mine is due. I don't know about picking up the passport in person, we bought the pre-stamped envelope and they wrote our address. Less than 2 weeks for delivery. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone found a US passport renewal service in Pattaya other than Key Visa?

The owner of Key Visa passed away in December. The business is open, but I have had no success with them responding to Emails. 

I managed to reach them via another channel. They claim they can do a US passport renewal. 

Cost is 10,000 Baht and takes at least 4 weeks. 

I have contacted several other Visa agents - none offer this service and one claims the US Embassy does not allow Agents to do passport renewals. 

I know one expat who used the mail renewal service outlined on the US Embassy website. He indicated the process was problematic. 

It's difficult to imagine that only one Agent exists who claims to do US passport renewal. 

If anyone knows of another agent offering this service or anyone who has had success with this method, please post the details. 

Thanks in advance for any relevant 
information. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

why would you need a 'service'

Several reasons: 

Physical disability - difficulty getting to bank and post office. Can use a courier to and from Passport Agent. 

Security of Passport while out of your posession.

Possibility of lost mail. I've had mail both in Thailand and to & from the US never arrive.

It's very difficult, expensive, and time consuming to replace a lost passport in a foreign country.

1 minute ago, SurfRider said:

Several reasons: 

Physical disability - difficulty getting to bank and post office. Can use a courier to and from Passport Agent. 

Security of Passport while out of your posession.

Possibility of lost mail. I've had mail both in Thailand and to & from the US never arrive.

It's very difficult, expensive, and time consuming to replace a lost passport in a foreign country.

I agree with #1, but with #2 and #3, why would your passport be more secure with an agent, especially since you are adding a third party?  You, or the agent, mails the passport to the American Embassy.  I don't see how the agency would be more secure with the mailing.   With the return of your new passport, the Embassy mails it and you include a 100 baht bank draft with the application to handle the passport being mailed back to you--so, again, you have the possibility of lost mail whether you use an agent or do it yourself. 

My comments only apply to American passports--with other countries the agent may be able to hand deliver and pick up the passports.   I just sent in my American passport for renewal and I had to pay for the new passport by using a government website.  The application requires that I print out a confirmation email, that I received at my email address after payment, verifying that I have paid the fee.  This printout needs to be included with the application--not sure how that would be handled with an agent.

{ I agree with #1, but with #2 and #3, why would your passport be more secure with an agent}

My understanding is that the agent uses a courier service that delivers and retrieves the passport as well as pays the fee which is included in the cost of the renewal service.

No mail or online payment involved

11 minutes ago, SurfRider said:
{ I agree with #1, but with #2 and #3, why would your passport be more secure with an agent}

My understanding is that the agent uses a courier service that delivers and retrieves the passport as well as pays the fee which is included in the cost of the renewal service.

No mail or online payment involved

Good to know.  If an agent can do that it would certainly be helpful for some.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later...

Major Update!

Key Visa which used to offer U.S. passport renewal assistance no longer advertises this service since the passing of their long time well regarded Key owner Darren Mcgarry. RIP. They do still offer UK passport renewal assistance though. 

So as far as I know no local agency or lawyer has offered U.S. passport renewal service in Pattaya since then.

Well, that's about to change.

Integrity Legal of the famous youtube channel that some love and some hate is opening a Pattaya office.

In this announcement, U.S. passport renewal at their Pattaya office is specifically promoted.

This is NOT the place to argue that nobody wants or needs such a service! Because that simply isn't true. Some people do indeed want such a service. Whether anyone actually "needs" it or not doesn't really matter if some people want it and are willing to pay for it. 

Anyway, welcome to Integrity Legal to Pattaya:

It should be noted that the U.S. embassy has started to do consular visits to Pattaya again. It used to be twice a year I think. Not sure what the regular schedule if any will be here going forward. Most of their previous business here was for income affadavits and as the embassy sadly doesn't do those any more, the demand is much less. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Do it yourself. Bell Trans picks up in pattaya and drops you off near the US embassy or many other hotels. 450 baht each way.

There was a thread not long ago where a gentleman had his lost by a service and it put him in jeopardy.

Edited by JimTripper

33 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Do it yourself. Bell Trans picks up in pattaya and drops you off near the US embassy or many other hotels. 450 baht each way.

There was a thread not long ago where a gentleman had his lost by a service and it put him in jeopardy.

I was under the impression that they don’t allow in person renewal service. Am I wrong?

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I was under the impression that they don’t allow in person renewal service. Am I wrong?

I'm not sure, I did it at the Vietnam embassy many years ago. Maybe it's different now. Anyhow, I would not give it to an agent. Would mail it myself then with tracking. The Usa does not like "agents" and that kind of baloney. They want things done directly.

Edited by JimTripper