USA Passport Renewal Service Available in Pattaya

Jingthing

34 minutes ago, BonMot said:

So, you're seemingly the authority but you're uncertain.

When did they visit last - Pattaya? A decade ago?

Part of the problem is of course it's Pattaya!

Second issue more to the OPs question - it's all managed online. It's an online process. They want you to submit app online. If you print the app someone will have to input the data and just slow it all down.

All the information is on the embassy website. Download it all, it will make sense and what doesn't just email them.

Pattaya.. ????

It was definitely not over a decade ago!

I don't recall the exact year. I guess approximately six years ago.

I am NOT really seeking advice on how to renew passports. 

Mine isn't up now.

No point in bothering as the process can change anyway.

In case you missed it. I started this topic to share the news that there is at least one local visa agent offering assistance to US expats in the process.

I never said everyone needs it or if it would be a wise purchase for those that use it.

Just that the help for pay is available.

Some people pay just for hand holding for a lot of processes here.

It's their choice either way.

18 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I have. I recall even having passport pages added I think.

I do not believe they ever accepted passports for renewal. Seriously doubt years later with everything online, centralized they would ever do this - my opinion.

Pattaya is just a headache for the embassy. 

Pages can no longer be added, passports can't be renewed so I think if restarted will be quite limited

But don't miss the opportunity to take a jab at me. You're totally speculating.

Well adding passport pages is no longer offered by the embassy. 

For my last passport renewal in Thailand this is what I did.

Attended the Pattaya consular outreach (which is of course finished now) and handed in my passport renewal application, picture, and fee.

When it was ready, I was emailed, and then I went to the embassy in Bangkok to pick it up (along with the old passport and embassy letter) at the intake window in front of the building.

I liked that method very much. But that is the past.

Cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, BonMot said:

If you use an agent they will submit online as well. I'm aware of no direct service at embassy although they probably make allowance for sick and elderly.

I bet using an agent especially for American with non Thai name will be scrutinized heavily and slow down the process.

My turnaround was 12 days I think.

Then again JT you never travel to any other countries and have no interests outside Pattaya so... Plenty of time.

The reason I would renew my passport is because the expiration date is approaching. All expats here need a valid passport whether they have imminent travel plans or not. Also if you have an annual extension coming up if you don't have a full year left on your passport your next extension will only be to the expiration date of the current passport so all the rest of the extension is lost and not transferable to the new passport. 

To add: Kindly desist with the personalized STALKING. Your snarky insinuations about my personal life here and repeatedly elsewhere are most unwelcome and totally out of line. Hopefully this message is clear enough to you to internalize the message. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

....Do they take debit cards?

I realize you have no need for a long time to renew your US passport but currently the answer to your question is easily obtained by a simple review of the Bangkok Embassy website section dealing with passport renewals.  To assist, I'll paste the following from the website:

Q: What payment methods are available for use via Pay.gov?
A: You can pay the $130 fee by electronic check/transfer, credit/debit card, PayPal, or Amazon Pay on Pay.gov. This amount cannot be altered. You must pay the fee in U.S. dollars.

• Thanks 1

I just went through the process. You must follow the directions posted precisely. The ACS office have a checklist on the website that was very helpful. I received my new passport in approximately 21 days. The only hassle was going to a Thai bank to get a 100 baht check for the return postage.

However I can see how many individuals might find the process too difficult for them to follow and therefore a service might be a good idea for the many computer illiterate types.

Just had my Visa Non-O moved from old passport to new yesterday, the fee was 500 baht at the Hua Hin (Prachuap Khiri Khan) IMM office. You must bring copies of all the old Visa pages as well as copy of the new passport.

Edited by Soondae
added IMM Office

4 minutes ago, Soondae said:

Just had my Visa Non-O moved from old passport to new yesterday, the fee was 500 baht at the Hua Hin (Prachuap Khiri Khan) IMM office. You must bring copies of all the old Visa pages as well as copy of the new passport.

You can't move a Visa, perhaps you mean your Extension? I did that for free some years back in Jomtien, although more recently I got lazy (long queues at immigration), and paid 2000 for an agent to do it. 

On 10/11/2022 at 9:06 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Like most Embassies around the world they seem to leave the expat community in the lurch.

When in the US we're in the Boston area. The New York Thai Embassy comes to Boston twice yearly to serve the Thai expat community. But Thailand being a wealthy nation, we certainly can't expect similar service from the impoverished US Embassy in Bangkok ????

The older I get the more likely I am to pay for extra service, be it Business Class seats, VIP arrival service, or agents to make dealing with bureaucrats easier. 

I'd definitely use an agent to help with a passport renewal if offered. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

....handed in my passport renewal application, picture, and fee.

When it was ready, I was emailed, and then I went to the embassy in Bangkok to pick it up (along with the old passport and embassy letter) at the intake window in front of the building.

I liked that method very much.

So, you had to drop it off, then pick it up at the Embassy -- and you don't even live in Bangkok. And you liked that method very much....

Unless you're computer illiterate, so too your partner -- doing it by mail is about as easy as it gets. Yes, you must drive to the bank for the return mail bank draft and then to the post office (or DHL) to mail the application to the Embassy. Then wait 18 days (in my case) for the new and old passports to be delivered by EMS to your house. Not much easier than that

Now the agent's going to have to do all the same steps as you would for a mail application, since there are no passport renewal appointments at the Embassy, except for emergencies (which doesn't include an expired/expiring passport, says the Embassy). And there's going to be some shoe leather involved, unless they do home service (which, for 12000 baht, I would hope they might...).

So, no real advantage for an agent, that I can see, what with the ease of mail renewal. IMO

37 minutes ago, JimGant said:

So, you had to drop it off, then pick it up at the Embassy -- and you don't even live in Bangkok. And you liked that method very much....

Unless you're computer illiterate, so too your partner -- doing it by mail is about as easy as it gets. Yes, you must drive to the bank for the return mail bank draft and then to the post office (or DHL) to mail the application to the Embassy. Then wait 18 days (in my case) for the new and old passports to be delivered by EMS to your house. Not much easier than that

Now the agent's going to have to do all the same steps as you would for a mail application, since there are no passport renewal appointments at the Embassy, except for emergencies (which doesn't include an expired/expiring passport, says the Embassy). And there's going to be some shoe leather involved, unless they do home service (which, for 12000 baht, I would hope they might...).

So, no real advantage for an agent, that I can see, what with the ease of mail renewal. IMO

Ignoring your derisive tone, yes I did like the previous method very much. Not everyone is the same. What a surprise. What I liked the most was that I handed my old passport directly to an embassy person and got handed the new one back directly from another embassy person. I am very protective of my passport so that was as secure as it could possibly get. Maybe most people aren't as paranoid as me but that is neither here nor there.

Nobody has said the fee is that high for US applications so no need for unsupported hyperbole. Different countries have different situations.

Moving on from that there is a question that I have about mailing methods.

When mailing stuff at the post office they always require showing passport (or I assume a Thai type of ID drivers license etc.).

I think DHL too.

Wouldn't such an ID be needed for that receiving too?

Well you're sending your passport so you can't show ID if you don't have a Thai type of ID other than your passport if your passport is what you're sending. So how does that work?

Edited by Jingthing

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Ignoring your derisive tone, yes I did like the previous method very much. Not everyone is the same. What a surprise. What I liked the most was that I handed my old passport directly to an embassy person and got handed the new one back directly from another embassy person. I am very protective of my passport so that was as secure as it could possibly get. Maybe most people aren't as paranoid as me but that is neither here nor there.

Nobody has said the fee is that high for US applications so no need for unsupported hyperbole. Different countries have different situations.

Moving on from that there is a question that I have about mailing methods.

When mailing stuff at the post office they always require showing passport (or I assume a Thai type of ID drivers license etc.).

I think DHL too.

Wouldn't such an ID be needed for that receiving too?

Well you're sending your passport so you can't show ID if you don't have a Thai type of ID other than your passport if your passport is what you're sending. So how does that work?

The OP - YOU - posted an incredibly helpful link to an agent that apparently handles renewal of US passports. I'd recommend it's probably easier and quicker to take your own advice and contact them directly with all your questions. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My post office will accept a photocopy of my passport. For EMS and DHL deliveries, I've never had to show ID -- just sign. For my and wife's passport renewal this year, the deliveries were signed for by our maid, who didn't have to produce an ID. I suppose, if I'd signed for them, and ID was asked for -- again, the photocopy of passport would suffice.

52 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What I liked the most was that I handed my old passport directly to an embassy person and got handed the new one back directly from another embassy person. I am very protective of my passport so that was as secure as it could possibly get. Maybe most people aren't as paranoid as me but that is neither here nor there.

So if you're paranoid about your passport, why would handing over your passport to an agent middleman vice handing over a sealed envelope at the post office assuage your concerns? Particularly since the agent will then have to use the mail renewing system, identical to what you would have to do...  So, if you're paranoid about continuity of possession, not sure an agent is your huckleberry.

But, there seems to be some interest in an agent for renewing US passports, based on some replies here. Just for my own curiosity, what are some reasons posters here see an agent as superior to the easy mail renewing system for US passports? This question for computer literate types, and those who are ambulatory enough to go to the post office and bank. Thanx.

• Like 1

Emailed Key Visa and asked about USA Passport Service. Below is the response...

This is correct the cost is 10,000 bht including passport

We need only passport and 2 x pics 2" x 2" white background

Takes 3 weeks total
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Emailed Key Visa and asked about USA Passport Service. Below is the response...

This is correct the cost is 10,000 bht including passport

We need only passport and 2 x pics 2" x 2" white background

Takes 3 weeks total

The website seems to be very specific about just supporting British passports....Irish is actually mentioned too. I also recall in my instance it was 10,000 baht plus the cost of the passport, certainly not including it. 

On 10/13/2022 at 7:04 AM, jacko45k said:

You can't move a Visa, perhaps you mean your Extension? I did that for free some years back in Jomtien, although more recently I got lazy (long queues at immigration), and paid 2000 for an agent to do it. 

They have the original issued back in 2015 Visa transferred as well as my current extension to stay. That's what's nice about Hua Hin, no long queue I was seen by an officer on arrival.

Edited by Soondae
No Queue

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The website seems to be very specific about just supporting British passports....Irish is actually mentioned too. I also recall in my instance it was 10,000 baht plus the cost of the passport, certainly not including it. 

Already (in this very thread) quoted both British and Irish passport services from their website.

The info I provided in my last post was specifically about USA passport service and is the exact response...verbatim, copied and pasted...I received yesterday from Key Visa. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:43 PM, JimGant said:

I wouldn't want to mail my passport in for renewal in Thailand. Has nothing to do with computer skills, but rather not trusting anyone to not screw it up. I go to Embassy in person, and have new passport mailed to me. I get to see the envelope has my address written correctly. For me it's a 2 hr cab ride

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I renewed my UK passport with Key Visa early last year (local travel restriction were in place at that time). Cost was 5k baht service fee plus cost of new passport (paid via my completed credit card form). Good service but probably made easier with me being able to drop off and collect at their office. 

Per their current link, their fee remains at 5k baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

I renewed my UK passport with Key Visa early last year (local travel restriction were in place at that time). Cost was 5k baht service fee plus cost of new passport (paid via my completed credit card form). Good service but probably made easier with me being able to drop off and collect at their office. 

Per their current link, their fee remains at 5k baht.

Yes, apologies...mine was 5000 plus the cost to HMPO. Mixing it with the cost of them doing the retirement extension immediately after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Already (in this very thread) quoted both British and Irish passport services from their website.

The info I provided in my last post was specifically about USA passport service and is the exact response...verbatim, copied and pasted...I received yesterday from Key Visa. 

Yes excuse me, I had a brain fart and confused the fact my UK PP renewal fee was actually 5k not 10k.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2022 at 12:39 PM, kinyara said:

The OP - YOU - posted an incredibly helpful link to an agent that apparently handles renewal of US passports. I'd recommend it's probably easier and quicker to take your own advice and contact them directly with all your questions. 

Again, I posted this for EVERYONE that might be interested. I am not going to bother this agent as my passport isn't expiring soon and I don't see my role here as an unpaid reporter.

I merely shared some news but naturally I attracted some heckling, another case of no good deed go unpunished.

The news again is that I've heard of helpers for UK passports for many years but this was the first time I heard US passports mentioned.

I am NOT posting here to suggest that even one person needs to use such a service for any nationality. That's up to them if they choose to explore the option. 

Personally for my next renewal I will then read the embassy stuff which could easily change by then, probably post here for more tips (such as a photographer recommendation, the last time was a real headache getting them to do it properly) and then maybe just maybe see if there is still an agent service and try to understand if they can offer me any extra value for my main concern SECURITY in the sending and receiving. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I wouldn't want to mail my passport in for renewal in Thailand. Has nothing to do with computer skills, but rather not trusting anyone to not screw it up. I go to Embassy in person, and have new passport mailed to me. I get to see the envelope has my address written correctly. For me it's a 2 hr cab ride

I am also quite computer literate. As said before, I liked the old method because I didn't need to mail it in or receive it by mail. Personally, my main concern yet again is the physical security of the passport.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

As I posted before that agency doesn't mention US service on their website but I saw a very recent intereview with the owner saying that indeed they do. He said it takes three weeks which is very quick considering it takes much longer if done in the US.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, JimGant said:

My post office will accept a photocopy of my passport. For EMS and DHL deliveries, I've never had to show ID -- just sign. For my and wife's passport renewal this year, the deliveries were signed for by our maid, who didn't have to produce an ID. I suppose, if I'd signed for them, and ID was asked for -- again, the photocopy of passport would suffice.

Thanks for reporting your experience but sorry that's an awful lot of supposing. For years now I've always needed a passport to mail anything at my local post office. I did one DHL shipment here, also needing to show passport.

On 10/13/2022 at 1:30 PM, JimGant said:

So if you're paranoid about your passport, why would handing over your passport to an agent middleman vice handing over a sealed envelope at the post office assuage your concerns? Particularly since the agent will then have to use the mail renewing system, identical to what you would have to do...  So, if you're paranoid about continuity of possession, not sure an agent is your huckleberry.

But, there seems to be some interest in an agent for renewing US passports, based on some replies here. Just for my own curiosity, what are some reasons posters here see an agent as superior to the easy mail renewing system for US passports? This question for computer literate types, and those who are ambulatory enough to go to the post office and bank. Thanx.

Saying it again, I would have concerns about the process mailing it myself and getting it mailed back myself both with security and the showing ID concern that I would have, having no other ID except for my passport.

Would an agent be better?

Possibly as you suggest not, but I think that they would definitely be able to send and receive securely, but sure all kinds of other errors are possible when it's out of your hands.

So your point is valid. Neither way is 100 percent secure.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I wouldn't want to mail my passport in for renewal in Thailand. Has nothing to do with computer skills, but rather not trusting anyone to not screw it up. I go to Embassy in person, and have new passport mailed to me.

I guess you're not a Yank, 'cause you currently cannot go in person for a routine passport renewal.

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

I guess you're not a Yank, 'cause you currently cannot go in person for a routine passport renewal.

I recently renewed my daughter's passport, she's a minor and both parents took her to US Embassy for renewal as required. So you're saying I can't renew mine in person the same way. I'll check the website for my future renewal.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I recently renewed my daughter's passport, she's a minor and both parents took her to US Embassy for renewal as required. So you're saying I can't renew mine in person the same way.

Yep. Minors age 0-15, in person. Otherwise, by mail.

• Thumbs Up 1