Onward flight unpopular forum opinion

1 minute ago, FarAngMoh said:

Isn’t it usually the airline that is more of a stickler about having the onward/return ticket, unless you have a residency type of visa?

Either way, airline or immigration have never resulted in an issue with my one way or return flight ticket well past the 30 day visa exempt entry into Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

You've missed the point of this thread which is to give people a different perspective to you always promoting the opposite. In that case, why do you even comment as we already know your view that we must get an onward flight!

The point is most "Airline" regulations deem it necessary to validate your travel to the country they are conveying you to.

Thailand requires proof of onward travel from the validity of proposed stay being granted.

Visa's or an exemption doesn't give automatic entry. 

Days of being a  "Cavalier" on one way tickets traversing the globe ended back in the early 1980's.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I give up. This thread was supposed to give some people some hope that they don't need to waste money buying throw away tickets or fake tickets. So be it, follow the know it all Asean forum members always insisting on buying onward tickets or you'll be banned from entering Thailand lol

Meanwhile I'll continue to enjoy my 6-7 months a year in Thailand with no onward ticket as a non-issue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several days ago I had to show my onward flight at Stansted to board a Emirates flight without  a visa

As for the immigration reception at BKK and 1 hour interrogation regarding past extended stays during the European winter months I will leave for another topic

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This was advised in my post at the start....

"There are options that are outlined to help travellers feel relaxed.

They include trying to obtain boarding pass and if onward flight is requested then step away from counter and book cheapest onward flight"...

Making folk aware of that option. Obviously requires internet connection. 

You missed my point. I don't care if it's the cheapest onward flight, as it will be canceled shortly anyway. It's a valid, temporary ticket that satisfies all the requirements and costs absolutely nothing. You do need a credit card, of course.

And as I said in my first post, some people are dense...

Edited by gargamon
  • Like 1

Just now, gargamon said:

You missed my point. I don't care if it's the cheapest onward flight, as it will be canceled shortly anyway. It's a valid, temporary ticket that satisfies all the requirements and costs absolutely nothing. You do need a credit card, of course.

Didn't miss the point at all.

This topic has been done to death.

There are various options that suit various folk.

Your post is nothing new. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

People are so dense about this topic.

I've flown in with a return scheduled 6 months later. Occasionally the airline requires a return/onward ticket within a shorter time period. If that happens, I leave the counter, book a flight on Expedia where you have 24 hours to cancel for most flights(indicated when you select a flight), and return to the counter and proceed. After I'm through there and at the gate, I cancel the Expedia flight. No costs, no problem. And if immigration asks, you now have the canceled Expedia ticket to show. 

I do show up to the airport an hour earlier to allow enough time to do this if necessary.

if that works for you then more power to you.  I'll likely forget to cancel the ticket because so excited to be back in Thighland ergo rent-a-ticket is my go-to. doesn't mean I'm dense, diff'rent strokes and all that.

• Like 1

Traveling without an onward fly ticket is just silly when the airline requires it considering how cheap onward fly tickets are.

Actually you can do it for free you just pay more to book a fully refundable flight which I’ve done before than cancel the flight when you get to Thailand.

When the check in desks tell you you need an onward ticket most people don’t want the bother and time of doing this as sometimes it can take 2 attempts to go through.

Its poor planning not to already have something planned in advance before the airline tells you you need it.

• Like 1