Onward flight unpopular forum opinion

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

funny you should mention that because way back in 2014 I flew Emirates from SYD-BKK I did exactly that and went to the gate to wait for boarding. 

to my surprise they called my name out over the Tannoy and when I went to the desk to see what was up they scolded me for not checking in at the airside counters.

Emirates for me too when travelling hand baggage only.  They noticed in the lounge that my documents hadn't been checked so did it there.  Others would have been tannoyed at the gate as you were.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why quote slabs from particular airlines. As per the above quote. 

MANY airlines do not offer online check in for international routes.

In November I fly Oz and back with Jetstar.

No online check in is possible.

Just one example...AirAsia.

For flights Vietnam to Thailand there is no online check in.

Check in is counter only and opens 2 hours prior to flight.

BTW you will be asked for onward flight without visa or reentry permit for that route. 

Stick with same airline...even when kiosk check is available eg Bangkok to Vietnam and you obtain boarding pass..

That is checked again for visa at boarding gate.

I can go on. 

Your posts above are naive and then you go back through thread and laugh emoji on my threads. 

Fine. 

Why have I made a copy and paste of the exact wording - Really?

Because it's available information that could potentially provide better general understanding of what forum members can expect from one of the largest airports in Europe, I thought that their knowledge of what Airlines generally expect from their online and Kiosk check-in would be helpful to other members. 

You forget to include the core in the rest of the text of your quote reference to online and Kiosk check-ins, “if you are travelling with hand luggage only, then head straight to security” - When this is not included then the partial citation becomes valueless and misleading.

There are over 5,000 airlines (with ICAO codes) and you identify two of these airlines not having online check-in. This clearly is not a well thought out argument if simply providing your own personal experience for using two of these airlines. This is not a subject about AirAsia or Jetstar, your argument provides no consideration of the thousands of airlines that do provide online check-in. But even in the example you provided, AirAsia do have an online check-in service for many destinations.

https://www.airasia.com/check-in/en/gb

My post was an offer of information as an option on some airlines. Your response claims its naive that online check-in would be useful because you were unable  check-in on a some flights. This neither addresses the fact that many more flights do provide check-in nor provides any contribution to deeper understanding of the option itself that when only having cabin luggage there might be a way to reduce risk for providing the proof of an onward flight.

I found it a struggle really to find any value from your comments or follow any sensible argument that was being made.

Finally your last sentence I regard as personal. What was the purpose of becoming insulting?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

MANY airlines do not offer online check in for international routes.

Here are 500 Airlines that do offer online check-in Link

From your comment - Its not clear what your argument might be if many airlines do offer online check-in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

If flying with a visa or reentry permit the airline at departure will NOT ask to see onward flight.

If presenting with intention to enter Thailand visa exempt the airline MAY request to see onward flight..

On arrival in Thailand it would be rare for immigration to ask to see onward flight even if entering visa exempt. 

That is fact. 

No its not a fact you are simply wrong.

If you have a tourist visa the airline still needs to see your onward ticket as the visa is only valid for 60 or 90 days if you extend it. So im always asked on every occasion to show my onward fly ticket when checking in.

You are also wrong on it being rare for immigration to ask for an onward fly ticket as I personally know many people this has happened to.

On 10/12/2022 at 5:24 AM, gargamon said:

People are so dense about this topic.

I've flown in with a return scheduled 6 months later. Occasionally the airline requires a return/onward ticket within a shorter time period. If that happens, I leave the counter, book a flight on Expedia where you have 24 hours to cancel for most flights(indicated when you select a flight), and return to the counter and proceed. After I'm through there and at the gate, I cancel the Expedia flight. No costs, no problem. And if immigration asks, you now have the canceled Expedia ticket to show. 

I do show up to the airport an hour earlier to allow enough time to do this if necessary.

And as you leave the counter you see the 100 people behind you. Step out of line and get back in behind those 100+ people or, or spend the $13.00 for onward flight beforehand.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Makoshark said:

Hey Aussie,

Dr. Jack & Ubon Joe have been on this site for many years relating VISA information.  Both of them are ALWAYS 100% correct in their advice.

And YES, they are correct with onward flight.

Read the requirements from the USA embassy.  For a Tourist visa, you absolutely NEED an "onward ticket"  If you go the visa exempt route, you MUST provide paperwork on Insurance.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK "J & J"   .  We need guys like you, giving us proper info about a country where the rules change daily. 

insurance?

btw, isn't this all fairly ridiculous, as what is a "ticket" anymore but some confirmation number on a device ;

and often the airlines is going to have in their system, both sides of one's RT ticket.

sus there is some affiliates of this temp ticket option, creating noise in these threads ..

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2022 at 11:49 AM, Paul Catton said:

The point is most "Airline" regulations deem it necessary to validate your travel to the country they are conveying you to.

Thailand requires proof of onward travel from the validity of proposed stay being granted.

Visa's or an exemption doesn't give automatic entry. 

Days of being a  "Cavalier" on one way tickets traversing the globe ended back in the early 1980's.  

I agree you try boarding Emirates out of BHX without a return or onward ticket or a form of Thai long stay visa and re ntry permit  you won get on the plane1

Edited by poohy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

And as you leave the counter you see the 100 people behind you. Step out of line and get back in behind those 100+ people or, or spend the $13.00 for onward flight beforehand.

Sorry, no lineup for business class. You're still 9n the back of the bus?

On 10/12/2022 at 6:02 PM, aussiexpat said:

I give up. This thread was supposed to give some people some hope that they don't need to waste money buying throw away tickets or fake tickets. So be it, follow the know it all Asean forum members always insisting on buying onward tickets or you'll be banned from entering Thailand lol

Meanwhile I'll continue to enjoy my 6-7 months a year in Thailand with no onward ticket as a non-issue

As usual you are deeming your experience from one country and certain airlines to have any relevance to people travelling from other countries. 

It is true for you, have a sweetie. There are many countries that are a similar or shorter distance from Thailand were it is not true. 

Few reports (there are some) of people reaching Thailand being denied entry, none that I have heard of of being banned.

There are many reports of passengers being denied boarding by airlines because they don’t have an onward ticket. These are sometimes country specific other times airline specific.

So the only hope you can offer is that Aussies on some airlines flying from the land of dingo p*i*s*s* creek don’t need an onward ticket.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As usual you are deeming your experience from one country and certain airlines to have any relevance to people travelling from other countries. 

It is true for you, have a sweetie. There are many countries that are a similar or shorter distance from Thailand were it is not true. 

Few reports (there are some) of people reaching Thailand being denied entry, none that I have heard of of being banned.

There are many reports of passengers being denied boarding by airlines because they don’t have an onward ticket. These are sometimes country specific other times airline specific.

So the only hope you can offer is that Aussies on some airlines flying from the land of dingo p*i*s*s* creek don’t need an onward ticket.

he did the same on the subject of dual passports.  according to him you can't swap passports in the air because "I had a diplomatic passport and it wasn't allowed".

PTL that I don't work for this man! ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

If nothing else, at least people are reliasing they can fly to Thailand with an onward/return ticket past the visa exempt entry window of 30 days (now 45).

I cringe everytime someone says book your flight to 30 day exempt and change it later (would cost me $70-180 to change flight back to when I actually leave after 30 day extension granted)

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

If nothing else, at least people are reliasing they can fly to Thailand with an onward/return ticket past the visa exempt entry window of 30 days (now 45).

Not "can" but "may be able to".  Same as in all these threads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But it's his choice to comment, not yours, regardless of your esteemed opinion being that it has been "done to death".  Your post is "nothing new", either!

Utterly Brilliant Response - The freedom to think and provide reasonable expression is not the control of one person granting this right to others.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, spambot said:

Utterly Brilliant Response - The freedom to think and provide reasonable expression is not the control of one person granting this right to others.

Not brilliant at all.

In fact if you read every post in the thread ...the op has realized his personal experience counts for very little. 

There currently is another thread outlining the issue.

The OP is serial poster on this topic.

Due to so many counter posts in this thread hopefully will cease bad advice.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not brilliant at all.

In fact if you read every post in the thread ...the op has realized his personal experience counts for very little. 

There currently is another thread outlining the issue.

The OP is serial poster on this topic.

Due to so many counter posts in this thread hopefully will cease bad advice.

What you on about Willis?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Many thanks to DrJack for alerting me to the issue.   The I/O's in Thailand have never asked me for a onward ticket in the past, but I always knew of the requirement.   I've also never entered without the return ticket within 30 days.  

Great pointers on the onwardticket option for $14, and then just booking a real return ticket on Expedia and cancelling within 24 hours.

So my two cents......I logged on Expedia to look for a cheapo destination.   Phnom Penh seems to be one of those sub $50 destinations.   BUT, that's on Airaisa, and Airasia does not refund within 24 hours.    Thai is $112....fully refundable within 24 hours.  

So thanks for the tips, and I feel like I've got two options.   It's going to take 30 hours to get to Bkk, so yeah, that ticket will be booked if I have an issue at the departure airport, and then cancelled just before takeoff.   I'll rebook if needed when I hit Bkk immigration.   Or, just book the onwardticket for $14.

In the 200 international flights I've made, I only had one idiot in the US (American Airlines agent) that drilled me on the visa issue.   She was completely wrong, and eventually they let me fly.   Hoping our upcoming trip follows the usual smooth sailing.

9 minutes ago, madisongy said:

I'll rebook if needed when I hit Bkk immigration.   Or

The onward flight will not be asked for on arrival Bangkok by immigration.

The whole onward flight thing is really airline at departure to fly to thailand. 

Seems more often required by low cost airlines and even moreso for short flights from countries in SEA into Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

if the immigration officer, or airline staff ask about an outward ticket, you can always tell them 'aussieexpat' on the forum says not to worry about it

Absolutely my primary plan.   But nice to have these other options in the unlikely event that does not fly.  (could not resist the pun)

• 3 weeks later...

HOLY SMOKES !!   JetBlue is true to its name....making me blue.  

so went to do online check-in.   They are not allowing me to check in because I cannot provide them with a visa number.   I explained to them on the chat, and on the phone that no visa is required for a US citizen, and they agree with me.  But, there is nothing they can do to get me checked in because the system is set up to only accept me if I have a visa number.    Their answer............."Go check in at the airport".   Which of course, I have no options but to go to the airport.   What a hassle.

JetBlue also won't accept cardboard boxes for check in luggage on international flights.   Domestic....no problem.  They are telling me that I'm domestic since I'm only taking them from Orlando to Boston, then JAL the rest of the way.   They are telling me in this case, they will adhere to JAL rules...which allows boxes as check in baggage.  But I'll get the new agent who has no clue how anything works.  

So tomorrow, up at 3am, airport at 4:30am to battle with JetBlue.   Sounds like a lot of fun.

Oh, Thai wife is checked in, and no problems.  

Oh, and cannot locate any airline departing bkk for inexpensive close by destinations that does not charge a cancellation fee.   So, the new plan is onwardticket.com, and if they don't like that, looks like I'll be spending a couple of days in Singapore.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, madisongy said:

Oh, and cannot locate any airline departing bkk for inexpensive close by destinations that does not charge a cancellation fee.   So, the new plan is onwardticket.com, and if they don't like that, looks like I'll be spending a couple of days in Singapore.

the EXPENSIVE air asia flights allow cancellation>
I have used https://bookonwardticket.com/   $10

IME OLCI is always challenging with a U.S. passport, I don't think I've ever been able to do OLCI when returning to Thailand. Even a kiosk check-in says "See agent".

I suspect there is something in Timatic which precludes OLCI to Thailand?

Is your wife traveling on her Thai passport or her U.S. passport?

Are you both on the same PNR?

Your itin is USA-THL-USA? How long is the ticketed stay in THL?

Not really seeing an issue here. B6 may check you through, but you can just check in with JL in Terminal E at Logan/BOS.

Nonsense thread.

I get asked every single time.

As I wrote on this forum a month ago Cathay Pacific would not let me board even though I had a marriage e-visa. I had to call in the supervisor.

So, perhaps I should start a thread to absolutely always have a return ticket because it happened to be every single time.

Someone said online check it. Nonsense. The bot knows when you buy a 1 way ticket. They will not allow online check in at all.. They would not even let me check in at the kiosk. 

Edited by Celsius

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

Nonsense thread.

I get asked every single time.

As I wrote on this forum a month ago Cathay Pacific would not let me board even though I had a marriage e-visa. I had to call in the supervisor.

So, perhaps I should start a thread to absolutely always have a return ticket because it happened to be every single time.

Someone said online check it. Nonsense. The bot knows when you buy a 1 way ticket. They will not allow online check in at all.. They would not even let me check in at the kiosk. 

Flew KL to Chiang Mai last week on a one way ticket with AirAsia. On line check in, printed luggage sticker from machine then used automated baggage drop. Interacted with no one so not sure how things are checked. I do have a visa maybe that was checked by immigration at KL but I doubt it.

Generally I think it is pot luck if you get asked for onward travel without a visa. I have been asked more often than not.

I normally fly from MEL to BKK on visa exempt, and in Melbourne the check-in agent either asks for the onward/return ticket, or they start frowning as they go searching through the visa rules or my documents or whatever  – until I show them the tickets for my future flights. Then it's all smiles and I'm good to go.