Onward flight unpopular forum opinion

On 10/12/2022 at 7:24 PM, gargamon said:

People are so dense about this topic.

I've flown in with a return scheduled 6 months later. Occasionally the airline requires a return/onward ticket within a shorter time period. If that happens, I leave the counter, book a flight on Expedia where you have 24 hours to cancel for most flights(indicated when you select a flight), and return to the counter and proceed. After I'm through there and at the gate, I cancel the Expedia flight. No costs, no problem. And if immigration asks, you now have the canceled Expedia ticket to show. 

I do show up to the airport an hour earlier to allow enough time to do this if necessary.

Does Expedia still offer refundable tickets? For instance, is it possible to book a budget flight such as AirAsia on Expedia and obtain a refund, or are there specific airlines that provide refunds?

On 10/12/2022 at 9:13 PM, Lemsta69 said:

if that works for you then more power to you.  I'll likely forget to cancel the ticket because so excited to be back in Thighland ergo rent-a-ticketticket is my go-to. doesn't mean I'm dense, diff'rent strokes and all that.

No. You cancel your ticket while waiting to board your flight, not when you get to Thailand. 

19 hours ago, falangUK said:

Does Expedia still offer refundable tickets? For instance, is it possible to book a budget flight cheap onessuch as AirAsia on Expedia and obtain a refund, or are there specific airlines that provide refunds?

Yes, but not the cheap flights. It tells you on the page after you select a flight if it is cancelable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, gargamon said:

No. You cancel your ticket while waiting to board your flight, not when you get to Thailand. 

I'll be in the bar whilst waiting to board my flight and will have forgotten all about the refundable ticket ????

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'll be in the bar whilst waiting to board my flight and will have forgotten all about the refundable ticket ????

Yeah, me too. But my drinks will be free comparatively as I haven't paid for an onward ticket...

Which onward ticket company do you have a financial interest in? 

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2023 at 2:11 PM, falangUK said:

Does Expedia still offer refundable tickets? For instance, is it possible to book a budget flight such as AirAsia on Expedia and obtain a refund, or are there specific airlines that provide refunds?

The refund policy is set by the airline, and not expedia.   Expedia is great for making it very clear on whether it’s refundable in the first 24 hours.  I checked a bunch of flights to close destinations.   Not even Thai Air has refundable flights…….on close destinations like KL or Singapore.  You may find refundable on more expensive flights to Europe or US.

Anywho, I flew Jet Blue/JSL from FL to Boston to Japan to Thailand.   No one asked about a visa when I checked in at Florida, and of course no where else along the way.    The IO in Thailand asked me how long I’d be in Thailand and I answered 30 days and he did not ask to see a ticket.

Of course, my plan was to get a two month extension since I’m married to a Thai.   Went to the main immigration building today.   They sent me over to the IT Square at Laksi which is apparently where they’re handling all extensions.   They said I need to have the marriage cert “stamped” and they sent us to a third office to get that done.  Got there and nope, they cannot stamp it until we get a translation and a bunch of other nonsense.   While I could get the 30 day extension, I’ll still have to change my return ticket to US from May 1, to April 15 so I figure I’ll just change it now to March 15 and get the heck out of Dodge.   Next trip I’ll go for the 90 day visa, or whatever it is, prior to departing the US.   Dealing with Immigration in Bkk is just too cumbersome.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, madisongy said:

.   They sent me over to the IT Square at Laksi which is apparently where they’re handling all extensions

I best make a note about this comment.

Extensions from a visa exempt entry are done at Laski.

Extensions to tourist visa entry and other extensions such as from a non O are done at CW.

Your other issues mentioned in another thread re marriage certificate etc are just down to not having checked exactly what is required. 

On the separate topic of requiring onward flight to show airline is indeed often required and examples  posted over and over.

The fact that your carrier from USA did not require one means little. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your other issues mentioned in another thread re marriage certificate etc are just down to not having checked exactly what is required. 

On the separate topic of requiring onward flight to show airline is indeed often required and examples  posted over and over.

Usual thanks for the comments DRJ.   

When you say “are just down to not having checked exactly what is required”…….do you mean on my end or their end?    For my end, I followed that link you sent me to a tee, and brought along some extra documentation.   If you’re saying it’s a failure on their end, do I have an alternative?   Can I ask for a supervisor or some such?    Or maybe take another crack at it tomorrow, in hopes of getting someone with more knowledge?

Yeah, I got lucky with the agent at the airport, but as discussed I had the onwardticket.com website already loaded up and ready to roll if I got stuck.   Can’t thank you enough for alerting me to that issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I’m going to continue scouring the thai immigration website for specifics on this issue.   Most of what I’ve found is related to extending a visa, and nothing so far on extending my visa exemption.   Are you aware of such a reference on Thai immigration website that you could point me to?    

15 minutes ago, madisongy said:

I’m going to continue scouring the thai immigration website for specifics on this issue.   Most of what I’ve found is related to extending a visa, and nothing so far on extending my visa exemption.   Are you aware of such a reference on Thai immigration website that you could point me to?    

Keep in mind that you are not extending your visa.

When you enter Thailand it can be (in many cases) visa exempt entry or entry from a visa such as tourist visa or non O etc.

Once you enter you have a permission of stay and that can be extended (in many cases) .

For the 60 day extension to visit wife it makes no difference if you entered with visa or exempt.

As for your nightmare day today that was really horrible.

The going to CW was just a slip up.

Reading your other post about being refused seems to be around the required marriage docs.

Including korRor 22 etc. 

You mention wanting to visit Thailand every year for 90 days.

As the visa exempt and 60 extension would suit your needs perfectly it would be good to work out exactly what you require that immigration has issues with. 

Perhaps you could chat with one of the visa agents to sort out the issues such as @ThaiVisaCentre

You could also start a new thread based around today's nightmare and ubonjoe could explain what you need. 

55 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Reading your other post about being refused seems to be around the required marriage docs.

Including korRor 22 etc.  

Yes, the koRor 22 was one of the documents mentioned today.   This is the first I’m hearing about that document since it is not mentioned in any of posts including the one below that I was using as my guideline.   So is that legit from their side?

I know they’re wrong about the Embassy authenticating the marriage cert as the US Embassy does not offer that service in Thailand.  You need to have that authenticated in the US.   

So bottom line, the Koror 22 and the marriage cert authentication / translation is what they said was needed today.  I’ll take your advice on posting a new thread.

• 9 months later...
36 minutes ago, madisongy said:

...So there is one real life, current experience where the onward ticket info was required.   Discover is a division of Lufthansa so figuring all the European carriers are going to need the ticket proof...

That's a very long stretch of the imagination.

On 10/12/2022 at 1:54 PM, CFCjeff said:

Ok so if the airline or immigration refuse me  boarding or entry i will tell them  aussiexpat said i didnt need an onward ticket.

Are you quite sure that the OP said you don't need an onward ticket.

The way I read it, the OP said he didn't need an onward ticket (flying with unamed airlines during non-specified periods)

Based on the many posts on this subject, the simple facts are that

1. any airline may not have required it yesterday, but may require it today;

2. some airlines may require it today, but other airlines may not require it at exactly the same time today;

3. any airline may require it for some passengers on a particular day at a particular time for a particular flight, but not for other passengers.

In oher words, one person's experience posted here is no guarantee that I will have the same experience.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, n00dle said:

1. Take PDF Confirmation from last hop out of Thailand

2. Edit Travel dates on PDF
3. Email PDF to self

4. Present PDF on screen if questioned.

Simple innit.

Hope mod see this as illegal and against forum rules. 

The term is fraud. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

1. Take PDF Confirmation from last hop out of Thailand

2. Edit Travel dates on PDF
3. Email PDF to self

4. Present PDF if questioned.

Simple innit.

That is simple....and cheaper.   Have you tried it?   I saw the onward ticket suggestion here, and worked great.   Apparently, the booking number is actually valid....although I have no idea if that's checked or not.   

In any event, Thailand must have too many US dollars, as the current incentives seem geared toward the rupees and yuan.  

2 minutes ago, madisongy said:

That is simple....and cheaper.   Have you tried it?

Yes, pre-COVID covid i was coming and going regularly from the Phils. I was asked to show an onward ticket and had not purchased one yet so I told the agent I would book one online stepped out of the queue.  Because i didn't know when exactly i was leaving i edited an old confirmation. I showed the agent and away I went.

I prepared one in flight on a few occasions but was never asked to show it again    

On 3/7/2023 at 5:22 AM, DrJack54 said:

Hey DrJack54....saw you commented here, and just to hit you back with a big thanks for the advice from earlier this year.   Your comment from March here was spot on, never know when you might get hit with this issue.   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 4:58 PM, aussiexpat said:

I've seen many people worried about not having an onward flight and so many members on here tell them they must buy a cheap ticket somewhere, or use the rent a flight sites. This post is purely to try and relax some people who feel stressed

I travel here 3-4 times a year on visa exempt + 30 day extensions (live 6-7 months a year in Thailand). I have traveled with one-way ticket or return flight 60 days later to cater for the 30 day day extension, never had a problem.

This year, I traveled with one way ticket in January (stayed 4 months) and just arrived yesterday with return ticket 75 days after arrival.

I was shocked that the IO actually asked me a question yesterday for the first time in 14 years coming to Thailand, which went something like this

IO: how long you stay this time?

Me: I stay 75 days, 45 days visa exempt + 30 days extension. I always get extension to stay longer

IO: OK

All I got from this is that I'm glad they never asked me questions before as I gave far too much information for the question asked lol

OP you are here for 6-7 months a year not living here full tine and it's obvious to immigration that you are not living here full time 

However for those that do live here full time on a variety of Tourist Visas and Visa Exempts a outward plane ticket is a very handy thing to have if ever questioned by Immigration

I know this as I used to live here for many years on Tourist Visas and Visa Exempts and having a outward ticket came in very handy once when being questioned by Immigration 

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad I listened to some of you guys and purchased an onward ticket.

I just had to use it 30 minutes ago for my Asiana Air flight from Seoul to Bangkok. Self check-in flagged me and I had to see an airline rep. Showed them my temporary ticket and no problem. 16 USD well spent me thinks. Thank you gents. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Gilmoure said:

I am glad I listened to some of you guys and purchased an onward ticket.

I just had to use it 30 minutes ago for my Asiana Air flight from Seoul to Bangkok. Self check-in flagged me and I had to see an airline rep. Showed them my temporary ticket and no problem. 16 USD well spent me thinks. Thank you gents. 

Do you have any type of visa or extension or are you arriving Visa Exempt or Visa on Arrival?